Advice On First Box Build

Hello everyone, I hope you are having a great day. I made my first post here not too long ago and detailed my idea of a first sub setup. I got a lot of good advice, and have pretty much started again from the ground up. I'm planning on getting two Sundown SA-15 Rev.3 woofers. I've come to the realization that i'm pretty much going to have to build my own box for this. I don't have a computer to run WinISD, but my school ChromeBook can operate subbox.pro, so I've been using that. I'm kinda trying to figure out how to use the program as I go, so please let me know if something isn't right.

Here's my build so far: https://subbox.pro/en/b/WFIjCEFpi

I'm gonna do a cardboard mockup to see if I could get it into my car, but I'm pretty sure it'll fit. Might have to put down the backseats and shove it in from the inside. Either way, the 09' Fusion has plenty of room for junk in the trunk.

Port area needs to triple if its currently 37sq in
So about 112? To fit that, I'll have to run the port out of one of the sides because I've got the box about as wide as I can make it to fit my trunk. How about this:

So about 112? To fit that, I'll have to run the port out of one of the sides because I've got the box about as wide as I can make it to fit my trunk. How about this:

You're gonna need a crane to lift that box lol

You need a minimum of 16sq in of port area per cubic foot of airspace for those subs.

Are you planning to face the enclosure facing forward, rear?
Also, an Aeroport might be an option and will use less volume.
Either way the port area required will vary depending on power/volume/tuning... I'd suggest modeling to find what will work.

Are you planning to face the enclosure facing forward, rear?
Also, an Aeroport might be an option and will use less volume.
Either way the port area required will vary depending on power/volume/tuning... I'd suggest modeling to find what will work.
It'll face the rear. I appreciate all the help. If I go aero port, is there any advantage to having the port mounted on the face compared to having it mounted in one of the sides?

Edit: I listen to hip hop at pretty much full volume all the time. I turn it down when people are near me at stop lights and in populated slow moving places like parking lots. But besides that my system stays cranked. If that information can help you point me in the direction to start with this port.

Last edited:
It'll face the rear. I appreciate all the help. If I go aero port, is there any advantage to having the port mounted on the face compared to having it mounted in one of the sides?

Edit: I listen to hip hop at pretty much full volume all the time. I turn it down when people are near me at stop lights and in populated slow moving places like parking lots. But besides that my system stays cranked. If that information can help you point me in the direction to start with this port.

I'd size either type of port depending on your planned power. Out of curiosity... What amp/load are you planning to run?

Working with limited space will lead to a collection of compromises in my limited experience.
I took a look and modeled what I'd do if I had your space, vehicle and configuration problems and and was trying for a slot facing rear on a 2k amp. Op remember... you will need port clearance at the rear of the trunk as well.
mwxHvM.jpg

Just under 6ft3 net with around 80in2 of port above. It's as much port as I could fit with a slot on the face and actually models up decent, not optimum but pretty good imo.
Just message me if you'd like plans for that enclosure.

I feel like a pair of 12s will be a better fit and may perform much better than trying to cram a pair of 15s in that car. Just sayin :unsure:
I agree, a nice set of 12's ought to really do well in that space.
I guess I got caught up tryin to see what I could come up with... The 15's enclosure was quite a compromise but something sized better will really do well. Just his budget will be the limit, he's got plenty of space for 2 12's easy.

f7D1ME.jpg

this design did really well on a RP2K I was told.

I agree, a nice set of 12's ought to really do well in that space.
I guess I got caught up tryin to see what I could come up with... The 15's enclosure was quite a compromise but something sized better will really do well. Just his budget will be the limit, he's got plenty of space for 2 12's easy.

f7D1ME.jpg

this design did really well on a RP2K I was told.
I think a nice pair of 10s or 12s will slamm nicely and a box built to suit the pair accordingly.

If you arent walling the trunk then 12s should be used. You have to allow room for airflow around the box or you will never pressureize the cabin enough to get worthwhile output. Cramming a huge ass box in just because it fits in the space is not the ideal way.

I've seen 4 10s firing to opposite sides with a big ass rear firing aeroport in a trunk car and it did really well. That might be an option to explore.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.