advice on drift car system?

bystol

Norway
ey guys!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

one of my upgrades this winter gonna be stereo in my drifing car! its a Skyline R32 GTR btw:)

and im asking for advice and suggestions on what components and setup to choose.

i started off with the plan of 2x Magnat 12x8 1200w in a box with one amp on the side and signal cable straight to my pad.

the reason for this is simple:

i want one box/unit for the hole system. strapped to the floor where the backseats are supposed to be. easy to move, and remove from the car! no head unit, just cable straight to source. low weight is really to prefer. its also a simple and easy setup.

i suggest the Magnat's because ive had them before. i think its one of the most bang4bucks 2speaker setup ive listened too. and THATS the only thing i want for this setup, BANG4bucks!! i want to play loud(not INSANELY loud, but loud), with some type/taste of base in there somewhere. and i want it to end up reasonable priced.... max 600$

a friend suggested RF HX2 sub, macrom mds.51 and RF p4004punch. total of 250$. but i think a 2,1 system gonna get too big, heavy and "too serious" :p

i know very well this is not, and far from, a soundquality or popular plan if your into good sound and quality in listening! its just for show and fun.

hope some of you give and shoot some suggestions at me!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif im open ears and minded on this not-so-serious bulid!

and sry for my inglish, imma norwegian //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/santa.gif.e1ec9cf2e0a0dd232ad35aa594a126d0.gif

Well, light and cheap isn't going to happen.

Can you work with fiberglass? I'd say better than getting some cheap subs + box, building a good 3-way system into the doors could be really nice. Some 8" woofers, 5" midrange + tweeter all in the doors and get some micro sized amps to power. Relying on a tablet/phone/etc. for source is a recipe for poor sound, and assuming you're racing with it you're going to need to put some effort into making something to hold it stable. I'd highly encourage you to just get a proper head unit. They're not that expensive these days.

yepp, light and cheap isnt possible. either way, you know what i meant...

not that good on fiberglass:/

if i build a system like that into the doors, its not going to be easy to move. and im not using any door panels.... its a drifting car with no interior, just 2seats and minimal dash.

think i said this setup is going to give me poor sound, its just for fun and show! no one has a soundsystem in their drifting car:p im building the tab into the dash, its going to be my instrumentpanel:)

maybe i can get a cheap headunit and mount it on the box as well...

yepp, light and cheap isnt possible. either way, you know what i meant...not that good on fiberglass:/

if i build a system like that into the doors, its not going to be easy to move. and im not using any door panels.... its a drifting car with no interior, just 2seats and minimal dash.

think i said this setup is going to give me poor sound, its just for fun and show! no one has a soundsystem in their drifting car:p im building the tab into the dash, its going to be my instrumentpanel:)

maybe i can get a cheap headunit and mount it on the box as well...
You could go with something like the Sundown sd-2 8 for the sub. They don't have weights on their website but i'm guessing it'll be a little over 10 pounds. The recommended enclosure for that sub is .5-.75 cubes. That's a very small box. You could then build something on the sides of the box to put your mids and highs, and i'm guessing you'll mount an amp on this box. All you need then is a 3.5 to rca cable to your amp.

You could go with something like the Sundown sd-2 8 for the sub. They don't have weights on their website but i'm guessing it'll be a little over 10 pounds. The recommended enclosure for that sub is .5-.75 cubes. That's a very small box. You could then build something on the sides of the box to put your mids and highs, and i'm guessing you'll mount an amp on this box. All you need then is a 3.5 to rca cable to your amp.
thats what im talking bout!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif sounds like an good and interesting idea! a pretty small and ok base setup:) any ideas on mids and highs to go with it? and an amp to run it all?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

and the 3.5 to rca is exatly the source connection i had in mind:)

thats what im talking bout!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif sounds like an good and interesting idea! a pretty small and ok base setup:) any ideas on mids and highs to go with it? and an amp to run it all?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gifand the 3.5 to rca is exatly the source connection i had in mind:)
With mids and highs I would suggest just going to a local audio store and go with what sounds best. For an amp(s) what's your budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With mids and highs I would suggest just going to a local audio store and go with what sounds best. For an amp(s) what's your budget?
so you donnt know or recommend any bang4bucks speaker set, that doesnt need one hell of an amp?

thinking about one 4ch amp. 2ch for speakers, and bridge the two others for the sub.

max 600$ total!

I use Polk for voice all around. I think they're great for the price. For amps, I would just go with hifonics. Great bang for your buck. Depending on what components you get, you could get a Brutus 640.4 or Brutus 1200.4. Both of those will give plenty of power to the sub when bridged.

so you donnt know or recommend any bang4bucks speaker set, that doesnt need one hell of an amp?thinking about one 4ch amp. 2ch for speakers, and bridge the two others for the sub.

max 600$ total!
Kind of unrelated to the thread, but you mind posting pictures of your skyline? I've always wanted one :p

I use Polk for voice all around. I think they're great for the price. For amps, I would just go with hifonics. Great bang for your buck. Depending on what components you get, you could get a Brutus 640.4 or Brutus 1200.4. Both of those will give plenty of power to the sub when bridged.
sry late answer, been on a roadtrip this weekend:)

ill check out Polk! heard of it before, but never experienced or tried them.

and tnx for Hifonics suggestion!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Kind of unrelated to the thread, but you mind posting pictures of your skyline? I've always wanted one :p
can post a picture from the add, when i bought it:)

it looks almost the same now. gonna change alot this winter!! engine, ecu, turbo, fuelcell++++ can post a picture or send you a link to my "my project" forum post //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

10556318_10154896924675092_8332134630737427556_n.jpg

thats what im talking bout!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif sounds like an good and interesting idea! a pretty small and ok base setup:) any ideas on mids and highs to go with it? and an amp to run it all?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gifand the 3.5 to rca is exatly the source connection i had in mind:)

get a clarion EQS 746,

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv252/woofersetc/ebay3/clarionEQS746_2.jpg

from using the Aux In, you'll have inputs for front, rear and subs. you can use an 3.5mm to rca y splitter and play music from your tablet. Get a 5 channel amp so you dont have to have two amps weighing your car down. For wood, use birch ply, it'll be lighter then mdf and strong. For a single 8" sundown SD subwoofer, you can most likely use 1/2 birch ply with some slight internal bracing and you'll save weight on that too.

another option is to get seperate micro amps like these

Clarion XC1410 XC Series 300W Micro 4-Channel Class-D Amplifier

NVX MVPA1 Micro-V 300W RMS Mono Car Amp with Small Footprint

with speakers, i'd say just have one good pair on front speakers, bridge the 4 channel amp and ditch the rear to save on weight and budget. Most sound quality competition cars focus only on the front stage anyways.

end result should not be anymore then 20lbs added onto your system and it should sound clean enough for drift racer standards.

heck, you can even have speakers inside boxes and if you need a serious race, you can just disconnect them whenever you need.

get a clarion EQS 746,http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv252/woofersetc/ebay3/clarionEQS746_2.jpg

from using the Aux In, you'll have inputs for front, rear and subs. you can use an 3.5mm to rca y splitter and play music from your tablet. Get a 5 channel amp so you dont have to have two amps weighing your car down. For wood, use birch ply, it'll be lighter then mdf and strong. For a single 8" sundown SD subwoofer, you can most likely use 1/2 birch ply with some slight internal bracing and you'll save weight on that too.

another option is to get seperate micro amps like these

Clarion XC1410 XC Series 300W Micro 4-Channel Class-D Amplifier

NVX MVPA1 Micro-V 300W RMS Mono Car Amp with Small Footprint

with speakers, i'd say just have one good pair on front speakers, bridge the 4 channel amp and ditch the rear to save on weight and budget. Most sound quality competition cars focus only on the front stage anyways.

end result should not be anymore then 20lbs added onto your system and it should sound clean enough for drift racer standards.

heck, you can even have speakers inside boxes and if you need a serious race, you can just disconnect them whenever you need.
He said that he wasn't putting anything in the doors, from what I know he wants to make one unit to hold the sub, amp, and components. That's why I suggested a 4 channel, 2 for components, other 2 bridged for sub.

tnx for good feedback guys:)

why do you suggest the clarion eq and a 5ch amp? is the clarion eq for enhancing my signal from the tablet?

i donnt need rear output... my plan is to buy 1sub and 1front set(2speakers), build one box, with 3seperate rooms. one for sub, and one for each speaker. then nail the amp to the top off it, put it in the backseat floor, and tie it down:)

aint jusing no doors/doorpanel etc., just one easy-to-remove ghettoblaster:p

thanks for great wood vs birch ply tip //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i think one 4ch is better than micro amps, because of the one-box build....?

hehe yepp! when **** is bout to get real, ill just dump the hole stereobox //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

sry for repeating myself.......

tnx for good feedback guys:)why do you suggest the clarion eq and a 5ch amp? is the clarion eq for enhancing my signal from the tablet?

i donnt need rear output... my plan is to buy 1sub and 1front set(2speakers), build one box, with 3seperate rooms. one for sub, and one for each speaker. then nail the amp to the top off it, put it in the backseat floor, and tie it down:)

aint jusing no doors/doorpanel etc., just one easy-to-remove ghettoblaster:p

thanks for great wood vs birch ply tip //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i think one 4ch is better than micro amps, because of the one-box build....?

hehe yepp! when **** is bout to get real, ill just dump the hole stereobox //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

sry for repeating myself.......
You will need the clarion eq because each signal(subs, mids) needs a set of rca outputs and gives you a stronger pre-out signal. There are low pass filters too in order to make sure your subs arent playing any vocals.

Its cheaper then most good LOCs out there

im baaaaaaack! :p

got my shopping list ready! is there anything else i need you think, beside wiring and birch ply??

components:

Sundown Audio SD2-8

Polk Audio db 651

Hifonics Brutus 640.4

Clarion EQS 746

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.