About to purchase my first audio system and have a few questions..

No, they would not work to their "full" potential. Seeing that this is your first stereo/install, I would keep it simple and just replace the factory speakers with some decent coaxial speakers. You will be surprised at how much a difference they will make, especially since the factory speakers are 22 years old. 

Probably the simplest thing you could do would be the get a dayton dsp with the Bluetooth dongle skip the hu altogether a 5 channel amp and raw drivers. Would be well within your budget. If you want a hu just be sure to get one that has a 3 way crossover.

If I was to re do my little truck I'd skip the rears and use the dayton.I keep the rears turned down anyway.

The dsp option would give you the most adjustability and sound the best. Hu option would easily beat passive front and rear fill. Just budget sound deadening and do your doors right for the mids and you'll be good. Site can help you with a good sub stage too.

No, they would not work to their "full" potential. Seeing that this is your first stereo/install, I would keep it simple and just replace the factory speakers with some decent coaxial speakers. You will be surprised at how much a difference they will make, especially since the factory speakers are 22 years old. 
upgrading only the speakers to some higher grade ones is pretty minimal considering the setup I intend to purchase, and it will lack bass/deepness and highs like hell.

Probably the simplest thing you could do would be the get a dayton dsp with the Bluetooth dongle skip the hu altogether a 5 channel amp and raw drivers. Would be well within your budget. If you want a hu just be sure to get one that has a 3 way crossover.

If I was to re do my little truck I'd skip the rears and use the dayton.I keep the rears turned down anyway.

The dsp option would give you the most adjustability and sound the best. Hu option would easily beat passive front and rear fill. Just budget sound deadening and do your doors right for the mids and you'll be good. Site can help you with a good sub stage too.
thanks for your informative comment, but as a matter of fact I live in Israel. We dont have any available DSPs in our local stores (not only my area/region, but in general)

every default setup here is headunit+amp+speakers+sub ..

so I need a good recommendation for that ;

Available brands here for HUs : JVC/SONY/Kenwood/Pioneer

AMPs : Kicker/Kenwood/Pioneer/Lightning Audio/Alpine/JBL/Rockford 

Speakers : probably any sound tech company out there. Biggest variation is within brands like ; pioneer focal hertz and jbl,( alpine infinity kenwood are also available with way less models in number)

Tweeters : Pioneer mostly, maybe some focal but hard to find

Subwoofers : a ton of Alpine , Rockford, some Pioneer models as well. (a very few of JBL/Hertz)

(people in general like Hertz here very much, Im kinda skeptical as far as it goes for this brand dunno why)

so as you can see, the market here is pretty limited compared to EU/US..

upgrading only the speakers to some higher grade ones is pretty minimal considering the setup I intend to purchase, and it will lack bass/deepness and highs like hell.

thanks for your informative comment, but as a matter of fact I live in Israel. We dont have any available DSPs in our local stores (not only my area/region, but in general)

every default setup here is headunit+amp+speakers+sub ..

so I need a good recommendation for that ;

Available brands here for HUs : JVC/SONY/Kenwood/Pioneer

AMPs : Kicker/Kenwood/Pioneer/Lightning Audio/Alpine/JBL/Rockford 

Speakers : probably any sound tech company out there. Biggest variation is within brands like ; pioneer focal hertz and jbl,( alpine infinity kenwood are also available with way less models in number)

Tweeters : Pioneer mostly, maybe some focal but hard to find

Subwoofers : a ton of Alpine , Rockford, some Pioneer models as well. (a very few of JBL/Hertz)

(people in general like Hertz here very much, Im kinda skeptical as far as it goes for this brand dunno why)

so as you can see, the market here is pretty limited compared to EU/US..
Pioneer prs 80 if you can get one would do everything you need sound wise anyway.  

Jesus Christ just tell him d#%khead.

You need a channel for each tweeter and mid. 2 tweeters 2 mids = 4 channels 
Thank you!!

Also I might add most sound comes from up front, not in the back.

Talontsi90 if you don't know how to explain things properly esp on a forum to some people it'd be best to say nothing at all. This isn't the 1st time I've seen you give 1/2 advice to others

I'm currently running a monster 5 ch amp. Of course there's smaller ones out in the market but much less power than the one I have. I don't have the ch 1and 2 hooked up yet but soon will be, and leaving ch 3 & 4 alone.

Going active also means using the HU controls Network features rather than using the amp's features. This way it gives the user more control at the source rather than going back to retune the amp.

002.jpg

THE 80PRS is like half my budget as funny as it sounds, it costs roughly 700$ here
Wow. How about a alpine Ute 62? Or cde 163 or 164. Jvc has a budget hu with a 3 way crossover  Not sure which pioneer single din have 3 ways. Kenwood is out for 3 ways. Crutchfield web site is a good resource for looking at hu specs. 

Are you able to build your own subwoofer enclosure? That'll save ya some money and give ya the best results 

Given your situation, best to go 4 channel amp and if you need to go active, you can use each channel to run pair of tweeters and woofers.  I don't agree with the 5 channel as the amp will not give you enough grunt to run your subwoofer and that is why I suggested you get a dedicated monoblock or a two channel amp and run it bridged to your single subwoofer.  I understand you are new to the audio scene so better stick to running passive component speakers in the front unless your car audio shop can has the ability to install and tune active speakers, stick to the basics and you can always improve in future and when you get your hands on a DSP, etc.

Wow. How about a alpine Ute 62? Or cde 163 or 164. Jvc has a budget hu with a 3 way crossover  Not sure which pioneer single din have 3 ways. Kenwood is out for 3 ways. Crutchfield web site is a good resource for looking at hu specs. 

Are you able to build your own subwoofer enclosure? That'll save ya some money and give ya the best results 
I was mistaken, just browsed some more and found a place selling the DEH-80PRS for 500$, still quite high though imo

and no, I dont think I even wanna deal with building my own box, I've been looking for subs that are already boxed in.

do you recommend the 80PRS? its a bit high but if its a HU that will serve me well Im definitely willing to stretch my budget a bit

Last edited by a moderator:
Chandlerr what about buying one from the US and having it shipped there? Quite a few places on ebay sell them new in box for $250 US and ship all over the world. Or do you have any friends here that would be willing to buy it and ship it to you, I know there is import fees and what not but it can't be as bad as what you are describing to buy it there.

Also I just bought a refurbished one for 199.99 recently and it was a major upgrade over my Kenwood KDC-X998 Excelon and worth every single penny. I just got it in on Weds night and had surgery Thurs morning but just the 20 mins or so I was playing around with settings was a big improvement over what I was using. They really are worth the money and if you look around at peoples sig's where they have want they have installed you will see a lot of those head units being used here.

Chandlerr what about buying one from the US and having it shipped there? Quite a few places on ebay sell them new in box for $250 US and ship all over the world. Or do you have any friends here that would be willing to buy it and ship it to you, I know there is import fees and what not but it can't be as bad as what you are describing to buy it there.

Also I just bought a refurbished one for 199.99 recently and it was a major upgrade over my Kenwood KDC-X998 Excelon and worth every single penny. I just got it in on Weds night and had surgery Thurs morning but just the 20 mins or so I was playing around with settings was a big improvement over what I was using. They really are worth the money and if you look around at peoples sig's where they have want they have installed you will see a lot of those head units being used here.
Import fees are the margin of my worries lad, theres a tax fee here that consists of 30/33% of the listed price of the product if ure willing to ship it to IL, anything that is above 75$ in its price is required by law to be paid for like that if its shipped from abroad. If we're talking 250$ per head, add another 50 bucks for shipping (and Im being VERY optimistic) and another 30% which is an addition of 83 bucks msking it a total of.. almost 400 and thats just not worth it (and Ill get it w/o any warranty, plus waiting 2weeks for shipment)

EDIT: Just checked it out on ebay, 378$ total (25$ on shipping which is quite surprising) .. so I figured maybe I should order it from US because 378 and 500 is quite a big difference

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.