About to purchase my first audio system and have a few questions..

Yeah I know he is. He still just irritates the hell outta me,lol. Mine is setup right now with just the front 6x8's and rear 6x8s all through the network mode that the 80PRS has built in.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys really need a good grasp of the English language. I directly answered his question about rear speakers vs network mode.

You cant do network from the headunit, but if you have a 4 channel amp for the fronts, you can separate the tweets and mids that way, or by using an external 3 way crossover and a 2 channel amp for each set (edit) amp for rears and 1-2 channel for sub.

Most coaxials will never sound as good as a component set simply for the crossover quality. Now, there are some that are more like a component in that they are bi-ampable or have the tweeter wired separately from the mid with a proper crossover or external crossover. Kicker, Focal and a few others sell "coaxials" for use where space is limited, but are wired and sound like components. Some components are also "convertible" in that there is a phase plug that you can unscrew and screw in the tweeter sending the wires through the magnet and out the back side. Not sure who had them first, but Kicker has been selling them that way since the silver coned Resolution series that came out after the black paper coned ones.

Sorry, missed the last bit, YES, it will sound that much different using a 5 channel like that. When i first got an active crossover in my 90 Eagle Talon 20 years ago, i could not believe how much more musical my music sounded. And ive been a musician most my life and an audio engineer for slightly less than that. Its a night and day difference in a "normal" setup, meaning im sure there are some high end systems with passive crossovers that will blow your mind.
Well I guess I could use the money that I wanted to invest in the rears for something else, 

Btw what do u mean I cant run "network" mode from the HU, theres no option for that? 

So to sum up, component mids&tweeters with a sub and some nice unit like the 80PRS connected to some quality 5 channel amp will suffice my needs?

You cant do network from the headunit, but if you have a 4 channel amp for the fronts, you can separate the tweets and mids that way, or by using an external 3 way crossover and a 2 channel amp for each set (edit) amp for rears and 1-2 channel for sub.

Most coaxials will never sound as good as a component set simply for the crossover quality. Now, there are some that are more like a component in that they are bi-ampable or have the tweeter wired separately from the mid with a proper crossover or external crossover. Kicker, Focal and a few others sell "coaxials" for use where space is limited, but are wired and sound like components. Some components are also "convertible" in that there is a phase plug that you can unscrew and screw in the tweeter sending the wires through the magnet and out the back side. Not sure who had them first, but Kicker has been selling them that way since the silver coned Resolution series that came out after the black paper coned ones.

Sorry, missed the last bit, YES, it will sound that much different using a 5 channel like that. When i first got an active crossover in my 90 Eagle Talon 20 years ago, i could not believe how much more musical my music sounded. And ive been a musician most my life and an audio engineer for slightly less than that. Its a night and day difference in a "normal" setup, meaning im sure there are some high end systems with passive crossovers that will blow your mind.
By the way, after reading some of the new comments,

Id like to point out again that I was talking about "network" mode without rears. 

And also as other users on here have said, New HU's do have the option to operate in "Network" mode. I think thats what Im gonna go with n get a hand on

Well I guess I could use the money that I wanted to invest in the rears for something else, 

Btw what do u mean I cant run "network" mode from the HU, theres no option for that? 

So to sum up, component mids&tweeters with a sub and some nice unit like the 80PRS connected to some quality 5 channel amp will suffice my needs?

By the way, after reading some of the new comments,

Id like to point out again that I was talking about "network" mode without rears. 

And also as other users on here have said, New HU's do have the option to operate in "Network" mode. I think thats what Im gonna go with n get a hand on
You watched the video and then asked " I cant do Network if I add rears to my setup?" and i said not from the HU and proceeded to tell you how to do active AND have rears. I dont understand the confusion in that, especially if you dont want rears (which is preferable) and then everyone else muddied it up cause they cant read English or something.

sorry to bump up an old thread, what about making sure Im not gonna overload the electrical components of my car with the add up of my sound system (like battery/alternator etc etc)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.