6th order designs

LMJexploder

CarAudio.com Recruit
im looking to build a 6th order for 2 zv5 12". If anyone has some design plans that they wouldnt mind sharing or giving me some ideas, or if anyone can recommend someone to design me one i would pay if i had to. have no problem building whatever just still not 100% confident on the program numbers that i come up with yet. max dimensions are 41" wide 50" deep 20 " high

People also buy subs with TS specs that lean ported and use them sealed. There are 12 inch subs like the Dayton Ultimax that have an F3 at 35 HZ in a sealed box, and then you have subs like a Skar evl 12 that has an F3 above 50 HZ in a sealed box. The Dayton would sound excellent and the Skar would be lackluster at best. There is a very limited list of subs I’d run sealed in 2024.
Sorry to jump in on an unrelated note but first off, assuming space wasn't a concern and SQ being the highest priority, would you run a JL w6v3 sealed or would you still port that one as well? Second, My last setup was 2 of the 10" JL w6v2's in a shared space sealed, downfiring enclosure and the volume was I think just shy of 1 cu. ft. per woofer. I loved the SQ and linear response, however the rolloff on the lower frequencies started a bit higher than I would've like. Ideally I'd like a sub/enclosure that has the same great sq and flat/even frequency response whilst keeping the output strong down to 30hz or so before any noticeable drop in output. Would you suggest a sealed enclosure at a different volume than recommended specs, a ported enclosure at either recommended or different specs, or something like a bandpass or other type of specialty design such as a T-line or something? I was planning to go with the w6v3's or the dub 7 but wasn't sure if I should go 10, 12 or 13.5 in the case of the W7. I am open to other driver suggestions as long as the SQ is on par. Also the 2 10w6v2's i had were on a slash 1000/1 and I would definitely prefer a bit more output as well this time. Thanks.

Sorry to jump in on an unrelated note but first off, assuming space wasn't a concern and SQ being the highest priority, would you run a JL w6v3 sealed or would you still port that one as well? Second, My last setup was 2 of the 10" JL w6v2's in a shared space sealed, downfiring enclosure and the volume was I think just shy of 1 cu. ft. per woofer. I loved the SQ and linear response, however the rolloff on the lower frequencies started a bit higher than I would've like. Ideally I'd like a sub/enclosure that has the same great sq and flat/even frequency response whilst keeping the output strong down to 30hz or so before any noticeable drop in output. Would you suggest a sealed enclosure at a different volume than recommended specs, a ported enclosure at either recommended or different specs, or something like a bandpass or other type of specialty design such as a T-line or something? I was planning to go with the w6v3's or the dub 7 but wasn't sure if I should go 10, 12 or 13.5 in the case of the W7. I am open to other driver suggestions as long as the SQ is on par. Also the 2 10w6v2's i had were on a slash 1000/1 and I would definitely prefer a bit more output as well this time. Thanks.
The W6 isn’t bad sealed. I think it has an F3 at around 42 to 43 HZ in a sealed box. That’s according to JL in their recommended sealed box. I haven’t personally ran TS specs on the newer W6. Making it larger might help a little, but it won’t make a drastic change. The W6 is a great candidate for a 4th order bandpass. It would perform very well if the box design and build are on point. That might get expensive if you don’t build your own enclosures however. I do not like JLs recommendations for a ported box on this sub. .75 cubes tuned to 39 HZ like they suggest would be loud but lack a lot of low end. Most of the guys who listen to modern rap are going to play way below port tuning in that box with no subsonic filter and wonder why they ripped the foam surround on their sub. I would suggest a much lower tuning, unless you strictly listen to country, classic rock or metal. 1 cube per sub tuned to 30-34 HZ is what I would do with the 10w6. Also, use a subsonic filter at around 5-7 HZ below port tuning. So if your box is tuned to 32, set a SSF at 25-27 HZ. This will help keep your sub from ripping and the SQ is better if your sub isn’t trying to play frequencies that it can’t handle very well.

Last edited:
The nature of the way ported works is different, because you can force a system Hz peak. With sealed, you rely on a very limited Hz peak tuning option, which you can only change by changing sealed airspace, which often can't high power play low enough for some, because the box has to be too big and you lose mechanical sub handling to get a low enough Fc/Fsc (sealed peak resonance you want). For sealed, look at Fc or Fsc and Qtc, which is basically peak frequency and severeness of roll off.

Orrr....with ported, you can just hard tune those JL's to 32 hz or so and play strongly down to 30 and maybe high 20's, and play up to 60's, 70's, maybe 80's well, if you do it right, and it'll be louder, overall. Going ported vs sealed depends on what type of music you listen to, but ported is almost infinitely more specifically tunable than sealed. Some people who are really SQ fanatics tune their ported boxes down at 25-28 hz.

Ultimate SQ IMO is infinite baffle (which can be very difficult) or easier is a transmission line, but those can be huge and often are mechanically power limited, unless you have a specific IB capable woofer or something, but they are very efficient for the power inputted and have somewhat of a lower box/port pressure, more natural sound.

Last edited:
jeg ønsker å bygge en sjette ordre for 2 zv5 12". Hvis noen har noen designplaner som de ikke har noe imot å dele eller gi meg noen ideer, eller hvis noen kan anbefale noen å designe meg en, ville jeg betalt hvis jeg måtte. problem med å bygge hva som helst, bare fortsatt ikke 100% sikker på programnumrene jeg kommer opp med ennå. maks dimensjoner er 41" bred 50" dyp 20" høy
There its designprogram to use fore bass boxses , if you now all parametre of the subwoofer , the made the best solutuon fore you

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...