67' Camaro sound system. Help

Participant count
  • Participant list

jiggernaut

67 camaro am radio
Hi,

Noob here.

I'm reaching the car audio point in my camaro build. My camaro's original head unit was a GM am radio it had one 5x7 speaker in the package tray and one speaker under the front dash. I would like to upgrade and I'm bewildered in the plathora of audio equipment available. Please, Help.

Currently, I purchased a Retrosound Model 2 head unit. The replica-head units aren't known for their sound quality but, I'm keeping the car period correct. The Model 2 looks the part.

The typical set up that doesn't require too much sheet metal work is 6.5 components in the kick panels or doors, two 6x9 speakers in the package tray, and one 10"sub in the trunk. My car has a big block, cam, and 3" exhaust. The engine/exhaust is pretty loud. So, I don't really see any added value in top shelf SQ speakers. I have dynamat and foam sheeting on the ready for sound deadening.

I found a craigslist deal on two Memphis audio amps, MR4.480 and MR1.1200 for 300$. Good amps? Too much wattage? good deal? any thoughts let me know!

Same goes for the speakers, a friend of mine recommends Focal access line. I've bought and have been satistfied with 6.5 Memphis Audio components in my truck. Sonicelectronic has good reviews on some low end kicker speakers. But, I don't really know. I want to keep the speaker/amp investment

Trunk space is limited. The spare tire is in the trunk. One 10 or 12 sub and box will fit easily. Two will be a squeeze.

Thanks in advance, Landon

Last edited by a moderator:
6.5"splits in the kick panels, two way coax in the rear shelf 6", and prob a 12"sub if you can fit it. (custom ported box)

I am yet to listen to a system that has 6x9's and a sub that sounds half decent.

Definitely need pics of this car!

I'd say having some custom kickpanels made would be ideal. You could reserve your factory panels to return to OEM condition if you ever sell it and kickpanel is just a good location for components.

I find speakers on the dash is an acoustic nightmare and would avoid at all costs. A good set of components in the kicks and a single woofer in a good ported box would do you nicely. The Memphis products are pretty good. Probably better than entry level Kicker IMO, though Kicker makes some decent stuff.

One thing you may want to consider is a lot of old cars have rather anemic charging systems, you might want to consider how big your alternator is and plan for a high quality AGM battery under the hood to help keep up with music. If it's a really weak alternator you may want to either bump down to lower power, or get the 1200W amp and run at higher impedance... you'll gain a good bit of efficiency at the expense of some output, but if you're buying a bigger amp than you really need it's a fair tradeoff.

Pics! I have!

The stance is a work in progress. The front will be lowered. Please, disregard the awful rims. Those will be changed.

The grill in the center of the dash is where the original speaker went. The left speaker hole in the package tray was cut out by a previous owner to accommodate another speaker. The right hole is the original.

I'd say having some custom kickpanels made would be ideal. You could reserve your factory panels to return to OEM condition if you ever sell it and kickpanel is just a good location for components.
I've been looking at these. They look good I'm pretty sure I'll get a pair, unless someone contests them.

A good set of components in the kicks and a single woofer in a good ported box would do you nicely
Nothing in the package tray?
One thing you may want to consider is a lot of old cars have rather anemic charging systems, you might want to consider how big your alternator is and plan for a high quality AGM battery under the hood to help keep up with music. If it's a really weak alternator you may want to either bump down to lower power, or get the 1200W amp and run at higher impedance... you'll gain a good bit of efficiency at the expense of some output, but if you're buying a bigger amp than you really need it's a fair tradeoff.
I'm on top of the charging system. I upgraded the alternator to a 120 amp and I also have an AGM battery relocated to the trunk with 1/0 DLO battery cable.

Bump

Image Dynamics seems to get high reviews in my price range. Does anyone see anyting wrong with going with a full ID system?

5 channel i5800

Pair of CTX-69

Pair of CTX-6.5cs

One ID12 D4 V.3 sub.

yes, but keep in mind that most brands make various diff speaker lines, i'd suggest you go have a listen to some speakers on a sound board or in your buddy's system.

Q12 - Fi Car Audio Store
get the dual 2 ohm sub
Thanks nauc, I like the Fi Q12. Hand built, quality, good reviews, I'm on board.

I'm after crisp clean bass over rattling the nuts and bolts out of my car. I've been researching the options and It seems High QTS, the "I heat ring" and a sealed box would help accomplish that goal. Should I purchase the "I heat ring" upgrade?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.