600 watt rms recommendations

1976Olds

CarAudio.com Recruit
Oct 19, 2020
Wisconsin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So I was looking at that sundown amp and that seems like something I will get. Do they also make good sounding subs for under 400 a piece. The most I want to pay for a system is around 1000 dollars. i Like the idea of the budget systems but I still don’t really know what I want to do for this. Do you think I could get a decent system for 1000 dollars

Kickstand

CarAudio.com Well Known
Jan 1, 2021
Maple Ridge

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
He knows that and said he is looking into it kickstand :)

Building your own box will always sound better then something like that, designed to your specifications i.e for the style of music you listen to that is just a all around prefab box for general use. Yes you can get nice Subwoofers from SSA, Sundown, FI and others for under 400 a piece. I just did 2 FI Xv3's for 490 shipped and they are 1000 watts rms. @Buck is doing the design in a month or two when I can get around to building the box. For it I am going to do a 3K in the future on it. For a set of dual 12" Sundowns like that you can get a amp/subwoofer deal on Apex that will match up nicely. You would need to do a 2K at least on that setup with 2 12" 750 watt rms subwoofers. Sundown under rates their subwoofers imho and according to many others. Also you will want the box to face towards the rear of the trunk i.e the license plate. Also you will find the overwhelming majority of us will NOT give Skarbage or D4S ANY MONEY for a reason. I will not go into specifics here on a public forum. I know a couple people here will buy from them but 99% of will not here or any other car audio forum.

Those subwoofers are the same in this link. Do a set of Dual 4ohm 12" with at least a SFB2K for 719.99 or 789.99 for the same setup but with the 3K then you will need to build a box yourself for around 60-80 bucks in 3/4" sanded pine or maple or birch if you have the money. Plus a 1/0 OFC or Welding wire kit. Send me a PM I can work with you on all that stuff since you are in Wisconsin. Buck doesn't charge much for a basic design and the set of instructions he sends you are very detailed and as long as you have a saw, some clamps, wood glue, wood screws and a little bit of knowledge on how to use tools you are okay, I'm sure you dad or someone would be willing to help you.

Click 2K then 12" SA Classic Series and Dual 4ohm. Personally I am not a fan of anyone signing my stuff but up to you. At least these guys are standup professionals with great reputations.

1976Olds

CarAudio.com Recruit
Oct 19, 2020
Wisconsin
I think thats what I'm going to do. How much do you think it would cost to get a custom box design

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Buck doesn't charge much for a basic design you will have to ask him but iirc its around 30-40 bucks for basic ported boxes and it is worth every penny. For more complex designs he charges more but for what you wanted it should be a basic subwoofer box design. He will want pictures of the area working with, exact measurements of the area you have to work with, type of music you listen to regardless if it is a couple different genres he will take all that into consideration along with the amplifier you are using as well. He is good to work with and everyone so far has said his stuff is top notch. He has a thread going here on some of his designs. Just send him a pm @Buck and he will get back to you when he is feeling better as he is down right now with severe allergies and hasn't been very active the past week but I know you are not in any rush anyways.

1976Olds

CarAudio.com Recruit
Oct 19, 2020
Wisconsin
I was talking about the sfb1500 sorry for not clarifying

1976Olds

CarAudio.com Recruit
Oct 19, 2020
Wisconsin
Buck doesn't charge much for a basic design you will have to ask him but iirc its around 30-40 bucks for basic ported boxes and it is worth every penny. For more complex designs he charges more but for what you wanted it should be a basic subwoofer box design. He will want pictures of the area working with, exact measurements of the area you have to work with, type of music you listen to regardless if it is a couple different genres he will take all that into consideration along with the amplifier you are using as well. He is good to work with and everyone so far has said his stuff is top notch. He has a thread going here on some of his designs. Just send him a pm @Buck and he will get back to you when he is feeling better as he is down right now with severe allergies and hasn't been very active the past week but I know you are not in any rush anyways.
Ok thanks for all the info I really appreciate it. When I get the new stuff set up would you still be interested in buying the Box That Rocks I don’t know what it’s worth but I think that was you who asked about it in the beginning of the thread

1976Olds

CarAudio.com Recruit
Oct 19, 2020
Wisconsin
Click 2K then 12" SA Classic Series and Dual 4ohm. Personally I am not a fan of anyone signing my stuff but up to you. At least these guys are standup professionals with great reputations.
so why do I want the classic and not the v2 and aren’t the amps they have 1ohm so wouldn’t I want 2 ohm. I have no clue what I’m talking about but if you could clarify this just so that I can know why. Part of the reason I made this was so that I could learn and this is one of the things that confuses me.

2RZ-FE

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Mar 14, 2011
Dixon, Ca
V2 are rated 1000 rms, V1/Classic are 750 rms.

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
You can do either one also you want dual 4 ohm 2 12" dual 4 ohm speakers wire to 1 ohm which is what you want to have on a SFB. Just know the prices increase on the V2 series and if you do that then I would do the 3K

1976Olds

CarAudio.com Recruit
Oct 19, 2020
Wisconsin
And as far as making a box goes my school has one of the best school run machine shops in the country with a full wood shop and machine shop in it so that won't be a problem

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Nope you are better off with 1/0 OFC or 1/0 Welding Wire. 4 Gauge will not cut it on a 2K or 3K amplifier full bridge amplifier. Measure out how much you need. I would do the Classic with the 2K and 1/0 Welding Wire so you don't have to upgrade the alternator. I would also buy enough 1/0 to do the big 3 upgrade with a 1/0 line to the alternator positive, alternator bolt to battery and a ground from the chassis to the battery. I had a 130 stock oem Ford Alternator with around 2K in wattage and it didn't cause any issues. But have to remember with box rise and what not you won't be pulling a full 2K of wattage out of it hence for those 2 12" 750 watt rms subwoofers go with the 2K instead of the 1.5K so you know you have enough to cover it and it will. I have 2 12" Fi Xv3's 1000 watt rms and upgrading to a 3K from my Cab-22 which is 2,200 rms at 1 ohm. I "might" have extra ones not sure. I have a fuse at the battery and I have a 2nd one for my two amplifiers back by them so its safety measure. Plus if you ever upgrade to a 2nd amplifier like a 4 channel a dual distribution block will already be there for you to use and same with ground. If I don't have any I can send a link to some decent ones on amazon that don't cost much maybe 25-30 bucks for all 3 that you would need and they come with fuses.

Last edited:

1976Olds

CarAudio.com Recruit
Oct 19, 2020
Wisconsin
Ok I will do my best to get the bigger wire. Could I use the 3k amp with these subs or would it be too much. How big of an alternator would I need for that. I have a cammed 425 so turning a big one won't be a problem.

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
I think if it was me I would do the V2 1000 watts then with the 3K if the price isn't a big deal. I would do around a 300 amp alternator as you always want to have more then you actually need. Being that it is a standard 1 wire GM alternator or should be then those should be plentiful just get a name brand is all. Singer, Mechman and a couple others are nice. Just don't buy some Amazon or eBay junk one. Others here have more knowledge on what companies do what and the pricing. But if you want to save money then just do the classics with the 2K and your stock alternator with the wire upgrade underneath the hood

1976Olds

CarAudio.com Recruit
Oct 19, 2020
Wisconsin
I think if it was me I would do the V2 1000 watts then with the 3K if the price isn't a big deal. I would do around a 300 amp alternator as you always want to have more then you actually need. Being that it is a standard 1 wire GM alternator or should be then those should be plentiful just get a name brand is all. Singer, Mechman and a couple others are nice. Just don't buy some Amazon or eBay junk one. Others here have more knowledge on what companies do what and the pricing. But if you want to save money then just do the classics with the 2K and your stock alternator with the wire upgrade underneath the hood
Yeah that sounds like more work than I want to do so I'll stick to the 2k. Thanks

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Yeah I think you will be happy with that along with doing the wire upgrade underneath the hood. Sundown makes some nice stuff plus they have a 2 year warranty and will back it up with no issues at all. Apex is in the same building or next door to Sundown now so they get everything before anyone else does and they work with them on package deals plus do a lot of refurbishing of Sundown Subwoofers even if you send them the basket. Good company to deal with.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds