6" component speakers (passive) on a budget.

cwzilly
10+ year member

Hates distortion
I have a 2005 Honda Accord sedan; OEM radio (climate and radio controls are housed together - no aftermarket adapter support). I am shopping for an 6.5/6" component set for the front doors. The woofer will be housed in the factory location, while the tweeter will be put in the upper door panel.

I do not want ear piercing highs, and unfortunately it is not ideal for me to go active (factory OEM, sound processors are $$ - and I will not touch my savings //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif ). I listen to a variety of music: rock, alternative, jazz, some pop, very scarce amount of electronic, ambient.. anything other than rap/r&b/country.

I would wish to not spend significantly over $200 for the speakers, but you could always talk me into it

All of the components I have so far looked at feature silk dome tweeters. I have heard great things for the CTX65CS components, so I am really aiming for those.

My amp will need speaker level inputs, so I am looking at Alpine V or Clarion APX/DPX amplifiers. My current amplifier is an Alpine MRP-F300 (50watts x 4), but it is possible I may get a more powerful amp.

DLS Reference RS6

1" silk dome tweeter (T25)

power handling: 50W RMS / 80W max - 92dB sensitivity

55Hz - 20KHz - 5000Hz crossover point - 6dB LP / 12dB HP slope

DLS Reference RSA

1" silk dome tweeter (T25)

power handling: 80W RMS / 120W max - 94dB sensitivity

50Hz - 20KHz - 4500Hz crossover point - 6dB LP / 12dB HP slope

DLS Performance C6A

.8" silk dome tweeter (T20)

power handling: 60W RMS / 90W max - 93dB

50Hz - 20KHz - 5000Hz crossover point - 6dB LP / 12dB HP slope

Diamond Audio D662S

silk dome tweeter

75W RMS / 150W max - 87.2dB

45Hz - 22KHz -

Image Dynamics CTX 65 CS

silk dome tweeter

5-100W recommended

58Hz - 22KHz -

Any thoughts are appreciated //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Look into the Hertz ESK165 for that budget or if you are willing to go a bit higher, the Hertz HSK165. I posted a review on here and many people on here have lots of experience with these sets.

I'm a little hesitant on Hertz tweeters, they are a bit harsh to me. Those are aluminum's right?

Because I will be running them passive (little control over tweeter volume), I prefer tweeters that will not get to harsh at higher volume. Soft dome tweeters only please.

I have been looking for a good pair of stereo speakers. I have an old pioneer stereo receiver with 100 watts per channel. I listen to almost every genre of music and was hoping for a reccomendation for a pair of speakers to accompany the receiver. I have a budget of 500.

I have been looking for a good pair of stereo speakers. I have an old pioneer stereo receiver with 100 watts per channel. I listen to almost every genre of music and was hoping for a reccomendation for a pair of speakers to accompany the receiver. I have a budget of 500.
You mean for a home system? Find a High-End (audio) salon in your area. Visit the store, don't get scared by the prices, and ask to see what they have used. Anything you buy there for $500 will be better than a typical consumer offering in the same price range. Talk to the staff. You may have to wait a little for the right speaker to come in; sometimes shops need a trade-up facilitator - someone who'll take a client's speakers so that he can buy a another pair. This happens a lot and can make for an outstanding deal.

I'm a little hesitant on Hertz tweeters, they are a bit harsh to me. Those are aluminum's right?
Because I will be running them passive (little control over tweeter volume), I prefer tweeters that will not get to harsh at higher volume. Soft dome tweeters only please.
I think they are soft dome.

Yeah, I know I said I was on a budget, but lets talk //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I've looked (online) at a variety of comps.

TS-C720PRS: these get good reviews, but look to be recommended for active set ups? Supposedly (with the passive crossover) the tweeters are a bit harsh at high-low to moderate volumes, so this is a big concern.

Hertz components: still a little hesitant on their tweeters; besides, don't know where to buy theme.

DLS components: can't find a darn single review.

Also, my tweeters will not be on-axis; unless, maybe if they are swivable. I am more for a "laid back" sound, but would like some impressive, or decent mid-bass response; anything that will kick during the kick-drum?

SPX-17REF tempting //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

umm i belive you have been told wrong about the lack of dash kit

in fact you have 2 choices

either in place of factory radio or in lower dash

heres the link to metraonline listing all the parts needed to do a stereo upgrade.

http://www.metraonline.com/fitl.aspx

and heres a picture of the lower dash kit

http://www.installer.com/photos/99-7862.jpg

upper dash kit

http://www.installer.com/photos/99-7864.jpg

heres some already installed

http://img118.imageshack.us/i/dsc00755ht1.jpg/

http://wiki.openfi.org/uploads/e/ef/HondaAccord2005_2.jpg

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12552&stc=1&d=1211669677

raverx, I already know about the kit to install a receiver in the lower pocket. But why would I want to fugly my interior with two receivers?

The other kit is for non- dual climate control equipped Accords.

The reason I was stating why I am using the factory radio is to simply let people know I cannot support going active unless I buy some expensive processor unit - NOT going to happen, but thanks for the heads up anyhow

---------------------------------

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6030/CVL6K--Cadence-65"-2Way-Component-Speakers.htm

Hmmm, searching the internet Cadence components look to be on the unknown part of the spectrum. Their amps are popular, tempted to buy them and try them out. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The ESK set isn't harsh at all IMO, and its a soft dome tweet. Also, most basic radios and tame the slight harshness of the hertz sets that are a tad harsh.

well, running different speakers will not really help you alot. u still get same processor.

but this time you will be using it with the speakers that it wasnt tuned for.

build a 4 channel speaker switch so you can switch back and forth between 2 radios and see the difference.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.