6.5" sub question

Participant count
  • Participant list

GR78

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi all, first post here!

I've had a variety of systems over the years in various vehicles but have been away from the car audio scene for a while. I've got an F150 supercrew (Lariat) with the Sony "700w" system (including the laughable sub). The over all sound quality of the factory system isn't terrible but it definitely leaves a lot to be desired.

That stated, I want to start upgrading and have recently purchased an audio control LC7i, Pioneer GM-D9705, and a pair of little 6.5" Massive Audio Sumo 64s. Oh, and enough sound deadening material (Noico 80ml) to cover the doors and the back wall.

My question is, do you guys think I would be satisfied with the 2 6.5"s in a ported enclosure, or would I be better off with 4 of them in a sealed enclosure? My overall goal is roughly twice the volume of the stock sub (which really isn't much at all) along with the best possible sound quality. I don't mind ordering two more subs if necessary.

The amp is rated at 350w @ 4 ohms (which can be achieved with the 4 sub configuration) and 600w @ 2ohms (which can be achieved with the 2 sub configuration). Thanks!

So I've decided to go with 4 6.5s in a ported enclosure (subs and port will both be front firing). I installed 80mil noico sound deadener on the rear wall and passenger side doors today. I plan to do the driver's side doors tomorrow, weather permitting.

In hindsight, the Tang Bands are likely better but my first two Summo 64s had already been delivered so I went ahead and just ordered two more of those. Some may feel as though they are hot garbage but they have great reviews overall. If I hate them, I'll order Tang Bands :). No worries.

I've never built a speaker enclosure of any sort but I'm fairly well versed in wood working, the sub box shouldn't be anything I can't handle. Once completed I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

I'm running a single one of the Summo 64s in a T-line that Stang built in my wifes GX470, and it fukin ROCKS. I am astounded at the output from one single little sub. Ive been over-powering it in a T-Line for months now and it takes everything I throw at it.

Massive subs are in my opinion really decent for the price, Had a ToroX 10 that I was dinking around free-air in my living room, and could not kill it, even trying. Massive amps on the other hand, hot garbage!

If youre going to build an enclosure hit up CSSTANG, or SHREDDER on here for some plans!

If my cabinet guy ever gets the finish done on my box I have three Summo84s that are going into a T-Line in my VehiCROSS. That should be roudy.

I'm running a single one of the Summo 64s in a T-line that Stang built in my wifes GX470, and it fukin ROCKS. I am astounded at the output from one single little sub. Ive been over-powering it in a T-Line for months now and it takes everything I throw at it.

Massive subs are in my opinion really decent for the price, Had a ToroX 10 that I was dinking around free-air in my living room, and could not kill it, even trying. Massive amps on the other hand, hot garbage!

If youre going to build an enclosure hit up CSSTANG, or SHREDDER on here for some plans!

If my cabinet guy ever gets the finish done on my box I have three Summo84s that are going into a T-Line in my VehiCROSS. That should be roudy.

Hey thanks for the info! My original plan was going to be 2 Sumo 64s in a t-line enclosure but I scraped that idea after I realized that tuning would be beyond my current skill set. The enclosure will be going under the backseat of a crew cab f150, so it will need to be wedge shaped. If I could figure out how to tune the box properly for my application I would gladly go back to my original plan and save the other 2 subs for something else later on.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.