5 way crossover

Participant count
  • Participant list
I posted a thread earlier asking about external crossovers, but it turns out I needed to know more about what I was going to do before an appropriate xover could be chosen. here's the old thread: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/general-discussion/600625-3-way-active-crossover.html

Now that I know more about what features I need from it, here they are:

1. sub output low-pass at 50hz, both front and rear mid outs hp 50, lp 1500(the lp does not have to be exactly that, the midwoofer/tweeter can play higher or lower, but it should be between 1200-2,000hz), front and rear high hp same as mid lp.

2. can be either active or passive, does not matter

3. less than $150

4. the speakers will be- re audio xxx sub, fountek fw200 midbass(Fountek FW200 8" Aluminum Midwoofer | 296-731), and Vifa D27TG35-06 tweeter(Vifa D27TG-35-06 1" Silk Dome Tweeter | 264-1022)

What amplifiers are you using? If you don't have amps yet, you should be able to find amps with the crossover capabilities you want without buying a separate crossover.

What amplifiers are you using? If you don't have amps yet, you should be able to find amps with the crossover capabilities you want without buying a separate crossover.
taht would only work for sub and highs, most amps dont do bandpass. plus a crossover ensures that the points are set at the same, instead of relying on trying to guess where the knob on the amp is.

Your wasting your time. See that $150 price range. Guy knows nothing about car audio. It is $100 to build a good passive crossover and this guy wants a mythological crossover 3way 4way or 5way for $150 on a system he doesn't even have. This guy needs to read a book and quit making threads and telling everyone that they don't know what they are talking about. He just said that amps don't have band pass feature but yet majority of amps that have active capable crossover point do have a band pass feature or can be band passed with a simple non polar compacitor and using the low pass crossover on the amp.

taht would only work for sub and highs, most amps dont do bandpass. plus a crossover ensures that the points are set at the same, instead of relying on trying to guess where the knob on the amp is.
There are plenty of amps that can handle bandpass (JL Slash, PPI Phantom, Sundown, etc...), and you can accurately set the crossover with a test tone and a DMM, it's not rocket science. Even if the amp doesn't have bandpass, you can use the crossovers on the amp with crossovers in a headunit or an external two or three way crossover to achieve your goals. There's more than one way to skin a cat, if you could find a "five way" crossover in your budget it would probably be absolute garbage anyway.

Your wasting your time. See that $150 price range. Guy knows nothing about car audio. It is $100 to build a good passive crossover and this guy wants a mythological crossover 3way 4way or 5way for $150 on a system he doesn't even have. This guy needs to read a book and quit making threads and telling everyone that they don't know what they are talking about. He just said that amps don't have band pass feature but yet majority of amps that have active capable crossover point do have a band pass feature or can be band passed with a simple non polar compacitor and using the low pass crossover on the amp.
It probably is a waste of time but it's not like I'm being productive spending time on car audio forums.

obviously I know nothing about crossovers, that's why I'm posting here. I've seen crossovers for pretty cheap and thought that $150 would be a high enough budget. apparently not. I don't have the system because I'm going to find all of the components first before I spend a lot of money. So what do you think my budget for a crossover should be?

There are a couple PPI FRX-456's on eBay that will do the trick. They run about $180-$200 though:http://www.precisionpower.com/Manuals/Accessory%20Manuals/Precision%20Power%20FRX-456%20Crossover.pdf

You may want to look at this as well, very flexible unit:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/head-unit-classifieds/598425-digital-designs-x1-4-way-active-processor.html
that ppi is absolutely perfect. does just what I wanted, and then some. I found one on ebay for 160-

Precision Power FRX 456 Four Five Six Way Professional Electronic Crossover | eBay

Precision power doesn't make those any more, and I would prefer a new one, do you know of anyone who does, even if I have to expand my budget?

sadly, passives are quite expensive to build and not at all flexible.

i've used the Alpine 3672 - a very flexible crossover:

Alpine3672013.jpg

Alpine3672016.jpg

6 outputs: 3-way front (band pass midbass, bandpass midrange, highpass tweeter)

4 outputs: 2-way rear (bandpass woofer, highpass tweeter)

2 outputs: sub lpf

high res image:

Alpine3672top.jpg

I don't know of any companies that put out a similar product to the FRX-456 today....however the PPI products of that era were quite well built. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a nice used one. Odds are slim that you'll be finding a 'new' one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.