4ohm bridged with a 2ohm load?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ArgadTheBad

CarAudio.com Newbie
I’m newer to this and electrical is my kryptonite in general, but I have a new Kicker CXA360.4 amp putting out 4x65 Watts @ 4ohms/ 4x 90 watts @ 2ohms/ 2x 180 watts @4ohms bridged & 2 Kicker 43DSC69304 4ohm 6x9’s rated at 70 watts RMS I want to get the most out of.

My question is this: If I bridge the first two channels to 180 watts & wire the speakers in parallel to it will the 2ohm load from the speakers double the amp output to 360 watts like it normally would on a single channel & fry my speakers? The amp is 1ohm stable so I’m pretty sure it’ll take it, but I’ve read that most amps won’t push a 2ohm load over 2ch bridged at 4ohms & the manual doesn’t say anything about it that I can find.... Thoughts?

Thanks in advance folks.

No, for at least a couple reasons.
For one, these are full range speakers. Running the mono kills SQ right from the start.

Two -- I can't find any info about the amp being 1 ohm stable. If it were, Kicker would provide those ratings.
Some guy with money to waste that claims its 1 ohm stable because he runs his that way doesn't make it 1 ohm stable -- it just means it won't die immediately when it's abused.

In bridged mode 180w at 4 ohms draws 6.7A from the (bridged) outputs at about 27v. Meaning ~7A per bridged pair of channels is about all you're going to get out of it output before the amp reaches its limit.
That voltage is a relatively fixed value -- so if you take the 27V source and try to run it through a 2 ohm load the amp is going to try to get 13+A out of that 7A circuit.
If the amp has good protection, actual power may actually be lower at 2 ohms than at 4. Otherwise you will be placing a lot of unnecessary stress on the amp for little to no increase in power.

Last edited:
For one, these are full range speakers. Running the mono kills SQ right from the start.

Two -- I can't find any info about the amp being 1 ohm stable. If it were, Kicker would provide those ratings.
Some guy with money to waste that claims its 1 ohm stable because he runs his that way doesn't make it 1 ohm stable -- it just means it won't die immediately when it's abused.

In bridged mode 180w at 4 ohms draws 6.7A from the (bridged) outputs at about 27v. Meaning ~7A per bridged pair of channels is about all you're going to get out of it output before the amp reaches its limit.
That voltage is a relatively fixed value -- so if you take the 27V source and try to run it through a 2 ohm load the amp is going to try to get 13+A out of that 7A circuit.
If the amp has good protection, actual power may actually be lower at 2 ohms than at 4. Otherwise you will be placing a lot of unnecessary stress on the amp for little to

If the amp has good protection, actual power may actually be lower at 2 ohms than at 4. Otherwise you will be placing a lot of unnecessary stress on the amp for little to no increase in power.

Thank you for the reply! That clarified a lot for me! And after reading your reply it compelled me to look further into kicker’s description of the amp on their site & apparently I misread the part about it being one ohm stable.... At the beginning of the general description kicker clearly states that “all cx series MONO (key word mono) amps are one ohm stable” And being as though the cx360.4 is an A/B 4 channel obviously that statement doesn’t apply to mine, so my mistake there....

But riddle me this if you would please?: I did briefly try wiring it with both speakers bridged on ch 1 & 2 and it sounded AMAZING.... Loud, crystal clear & with zero distortion. It actually sounded much better than putting each speaker on its own 4ohm bridged channel which I tested afterward. And after wiring it with both on one bridge I checked it with my multi meter & it did show it as being a 2ohm load but I’ve read that 4ohm mono is equivalent to 2ohm stereo as far as stress on the amp is concerned, so what would the actual long term effect of 2ohm mono/stereo bridged be on the amp then? And why would it sound/perform so well in comparison?

I’m just trying to learn how all this works, so any additional info you could give me would be greatly appreciated... Thanks again!

You'll be overloading the amp. If it's a cheap amp and you set the gain properly and don't blow the speakers then screw it. It could live for a long time. Just depends.

It's only $160, so if that's cheap to you then send it, otherwise give it a proper load.

Mainly heat.
When you're tying to get 2x the design current out of a circuit it's going to get hot. Eventually something will overheat and fail. Maybe next week, maybe next year. The point is its service time won't be as long.

As far as SQ -- It will sound fine to an undiscerning ear, but running full range speakers in mono means you won't get any depth of sound. Effects that fade from one side to the other will not be heard. A lot of artists/engineers use stereo separation to "locate" instruments on the sound stage.
If you're not a critical listener that might not make much difference, but for most audio enthusiasts it's not acceptable.

Mainly heat.
When you're tying to get 2x the design current out of a circuit it's going to get hot. Eventually something will overheat and fail. Maybe next week, maybe next year. The point is its service time won't be as long.

As far as SQ -- It will sound fine to an undiscerning ear, but running full range speakers in mono means you won't get any depth of sound. Effects that fade from one side to the other will not be heard. A lot of artists/engineers use stereo separation to "locate" instruments on the sound stage.
If you're not a critical listener that might not make much difference, but for most audio enthusiasts it's not acceptable.
I believe he still has stereo it's just bridged one channel per side?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ArgadTheBad

CarAudio.com Newbie
ArgadTheBad
Montucky
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from