4kw system, need upgrades

AllenH427
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Okay, well I'm pretty set on getting a 4kw system. I know I need to upgrade my electrical.

Battery-

I have this battery under the hood

Gold-Duralast/Battery (24F-DLG) | Battery | 2002 Toyota Camry 4 Cylinders 2.4L MFI DOHC | AutoZone.com

I plan on buying a Deka 9a31 for the trunk. Should I get one or two?

Wiring- I have a single run of 0 awg running to the back... Enough?

Alternator- I need a high output alternator obviously, how many amps should I be looking at minimum? And what is a guaranteed way I can get 14.4V? Also I'm having trouble finding one for a 02 camry 2.4L and I idle around 500-600RPMs.

If you are running a true 4k watt system you can figure on pulling about 400amps, and then add about 50amp for the car. So, you will have around a 450amp pull. We do not have an alternator for your application, but I would suggest checking with MechMan, Iraggi, and DC Power. The biggest thing you want to look at when calling about an alternator is the idle output. A 500amp alt that puts nothing out until 4000RPM isn't going to do you any good on a daily driver when you pull up to a stop light. Unless you want to set there and rev the engine up to 4000RPM.

Can't really tell you about the dekas output. We have tested them before, but I do not have the numbers here in front of me. I would suggest switching out the battery you have under the hood first though and then adding batteries in the back. You do not want to mix batteries of different chemistry, and the battery you have under the hood will not perform well with the car audio system you are looking to run.

Okay, well I'm pretty set on getting a 4kw system. I know I need to upgrade my electrical.Battery-

I have this battery under the hood

Gold-Duralast/Battery (24F-DLG) | Battery | 2002 Toyota Camry 4 Cylinders 2.4L MFI DOHC | AutoZone.com

I plan on buying a Deka 9a31 for the trunk. Should I get one or two?

Wiring- I have a single run of 0 awg running to the back... Enough?

Alternator- I need a high output alternator obviously, how many amps should I be looking at minimum? And what is a guaranteed way I can get 14.4V? Also I'm having trouble finding one for a 02 camry 2.4L and I idle around 500-600RPMs.
Single run of 1/0 to the back has worked for me. As I said in your other thread, I bought my camry HO alternator on eBay (130A or so), used 2 Auto Zone deep cycles in the trunk and all was well. Odds are if you want to guarantee 14.4V you'll need to buy and install an external voltage regulator. I don't think my camry was ever over 14, and I know my Jeep won't do >13.5 with the factory regulator.

Alright, I might just buy 2 of the dekas then (1 for the front, 1 for the rear). And 130A probably isn't going to be enough... How much is a voltage regulator? I'm going to get a stetsom or sd amp so that's why I want my voltage high. I probably won't ever be pulling a full 4k, but I would just rather be safe than sorry.

i hate to burst your bubble but i seriously doubt that a 9a31 will fit under the hood of a camry, those batts are rather large and weigh quite a bit, make sure you measure everything before you decide
Oh snap, good point, I'll do that tonight then. And so I guess I'll have to contact one of the places above mentioned to custom build me an alternator? How much will that be, in the 300s?

Edit** The deka is only 2.25" longer than my current battery, the other specs are the same. I'll still measure tonight but I should be alright.

Bump, so what do I do? I'm getting an alternator that will keep me at 14.6V from DC power, and itll be 130 idle, 180 at 1400 RPM

Alright, and there wont be any issues with the battery I currently have in the front? And the alternator will keep these batteries at 14.6V as well right?

if you have a lead acid up front the dekas will most likely destroy it, the will charge off of it and run it dead, it would be a good idea to either get a agm that will fit up fornt, a battery isolator or remove the front batter all together, then you dont have to worry about it any more.

Alright, I might put a yellow top up front, how will that do? And the alternator I'm getting is from DC power, 180 amps at 1400RPM, 130 at idle, and I'll have a voltage regulator that will keep me around 14.6-14.9V.

if I were u i would get a kinetik or powermaster battery that does fit under the hood of ur car... Optimas are kool but not the best.. I would also do one more run of positive 0 gauge and one run of negative 0 gauge to ur rear batts. I would do 2 dekas in the back.

Good Luck with ur install man.. sounds like ur on the right track

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.