Is 150 amps enough?

Rmjimbob
10+ year member

I have a 150 amp alt. and I plan on running 2 amps for a total of 1800 watts rms.

Will this be enough juice? If not what needs to be upgraded? I've seen things like capcells and wasn't sure if that would work.

The big three is a given!

I have a 150 amp alt. and I plan on running 2 amps for a total of 1800 watts rms.
Will this be enough juice? If not what needs to be upgraded? I've seen things like capcells and wasn't sure if that would work.

The big three is a given!
Well let's see. Your alternator is probably using around 80 amps for every accessory in the vehicle to run at the same time and fire the engine. Maybe 50-60 with all of that off. So you have roughly 100 amps to work with. Maybe 75 before the voltage begins to drop.

Now, let's assume your 1800 watt amps actually do rated power. Let's also assume they are 80% efficient (that's pretty good because I'm also guessing they do full power at 1 ohm, and amps aren't very efficient at 1 ohm) This means that at 14.4v each amp is going to draw 150 amps of current. So to make 3600 watts of power, at 14.4v @ 80% efficiency you're going to draw 300 amps of current. When your voltage drops, (it will) the current drawn does not go up to magically maintain 3600 watts of power output. When the voltage drops, so does the current drawn and thus power output. Also, when the voltage drops, the amps become less efficient.

You will need a good battery or two. I would suggest a larger alternator and extensive work on your grounds. You are not going to keep your voltage up at 14v. Forget about it. Capcells are marketing gimmicks.

Well let's see. Your alternator is probably using around 80 amps for every accessory in the vehicle to run at the same time and fire the engine. Maybe 50-60 with all of that off. So you have roughly 100 amps to work with. Maybe 75 before the voltage begins to drop. Now, let's assume your 1800 watt amps actually do rated power. Let's also assume they are 80% efficient (that's pretty good because I'm also guessing they do full power at 1 ohm, and amps aren't very efficient at 1 ohm) This means that at 14.4v each amp is going to draw 150 amps of current. So to make 3600 watts of power, at 14.4v @ 80% efficiency you're going to draw 300 amps of current. When your voltage drops, (it will) the current drawn does not go up to magically maintain 3600 watts of power output. When the voltage drops, so does the current drawn and thus power output. Also, when the voltage drops, the amps become less efficient.

You will need a good battery or two. I would suggest a larger alternator and extensive work on your grounds. You are not going to keep your voltage up at 14v. Forget about it. Capcells are marketing gimmicks.
I have a 90a alt in a loaded lincoln towncar, running a napa bat in the front and a deka in the back, no voltage drops with the high beams on until i hit max output on my aq2200d

I have a 90a alt in a loaded lincoln towncar, running a napa bat in the front and a deka in the back, no voltage drops with the high beams on until i hit max output on my aq2200d
How did I know someone would say bs like that? Make a vid and prove it. You're not defying the laws of physics in your towncar. Prove it or stfu son.

ask nateberrier son.
I don't have to ask anyone. Clearly you're either not putting any power out so the amp isn't drawing any current or you're lying. Either way you're not defying the laws of physics. Why do you want me to ask someone, when all it takes is a video to prove it? In the video you will need a dc clamp meter around your power wire to show that your current draw. You will also need a volt meter obviously. You came into this thread attempting to disprove the laws of physics, so if you want to do it rather than just run your mouth here's your chance.

i dont have a video camera.... and trust me, im putting out power and my lights dont dim a bit unless i crank my **** past where its tuned for
So what exactly is it that you're arguing for? Are you saying that your battery makes magical power or that you have your amp turned down where it doesn't put much power out?.... because your battery can't discharge at 14v and your alt can't supply more than 90amps at 14v, so if you're drawing anywhere near 90 amps from your alt the voltage is going to drop. Tell me what it is that I said that you're taking issue with.

im not sayin my shiz stays above 14 constantly... im saying i stay above 12, which is what is safe for the amp.

what im saying is op shouldnt need a larger alt, when my **** is fine and i have a smaller alt with more electrical **** on my car

im not sayin my shiz stays above 14 constantly... im saying i stay above 12, which is what is safe for the amp.what im saying is op shouldnt need a larger alt, when my **** is fine and i have a smaller alt with more electrical **** on my car
lol ok. I don't disagree with that. Don't say it doesn't drop though because the drop from 14v to 12v is where all the dimming is. The batteries are there to prevent it from going below 12v so yeah that's totally within reason.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.