4 gauge wiring kit choice.

ShayneF
10+ year member

In another thread I started I was advised that for my audio system a 4 gauge OFC wiring kit would suffice. I will be powering the following amps:

Alpine MRD-M501. 550 watts RMS at 2 ohms. Fused at 60 amps.

Boston GT-4100. 400 watts RMS at 4 ohms. Fused at 80 amps.

So I have been looking at a few kits, looking for brands that you guys have recommended : KnuKoncepts, Stinger & Rockford Fosgate.

The Rockford kit I found has two distribution blocks and some 8 gauge wire as well, so for the money works out cheaper by the time I ship it to Australia (seller I found has good shipping rates compared to others). So it has some extra smaller cable and the distribution blocks I need, and is only $3 dearer than the KnuKoncepts kit. Looks like the best option so far.

Rockford Fosgate RFK4D 4 Gauge Complete Dual Amplifier AMP Installation KIT | eBay

Speaker cable is small but I can use it for my tweeters, so no problem as I see it.

You guys see any problems with this kit? Any part of it no good?

Any other suggestions as to a better option?

Cheers,

Shayne

Sounds like you've answered your own question with respect to what's the best value for your money. The only thing I would caution you to consider is future upgrades.

Four gauge is fine for the power you listed but do you think you'll want more in the future? If you're an SQ guy, maybe not... but if you're a bass head you'll want more power almost as soon as you build the system, find out how good it sounds and then contemplate how much better it would sound with MOAR POWER!

And remember, bass is like heroine. Once you're hooked, you need more and more and more an......

While it might be the best deal, it only has a 100a fuse, and your total draw is 140. Like @bbeljefe stated if you ever plan on upgrading, I'd personally look into the knukonceptz ofc 0 gauge dual amp kit.. I think it cost $133. But that will give you everything you need for your setup (except rcas), and plenty of head room if you ever want to upgrade. I bought it for my first build, and was highly impressed with it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

My main concern was quality of any of the RF components, such as an RCA being not much good etc. I knew the cable was good, I just wondered if anything else in the kit was cheap and nasty!

As for power needs, I am not a bass head. In fact, I just don't get it!!! I like the sound to be balanced, like in my home audio. I don't want the bass to drown out everything else, hence my selection of two 8" subs. I have had them for years, and have always been happy with them. Incidentally, my home audio speakers run 8" drivers too.

So I doubt I will ever want to run more power than what I have. The Alpine is actually a power upgrade from the amp that has run those subs for years. It is more than double the size, so this is my upgrade. I appreciate your comments though, as a lot of you guys like to run big power to your subs, and run BIG subs!

As for the 100amp fuse, you make a good point, I was concerned about that too. From what I can find out good quality 4 gauge cable is good for 150 amps, so that will cover what I need for sure. I was going to replace the fuse in the RF kit with a 150amp fuse. The o gauge stuff would negate this point, but the 4 gauge cable is going to be much easier to run in my vehicle.

The KnuKoncepts stuff get good reviews, but they do not make a dual amp 4 gauge kit, so by the time I add the extra stuff I need it ends up dearer than the RF. Stinger is the same. Shipping to Australia is also a factor, as the retailers all charge different amounts. So all included the RF kit works out best value for money. I was just concerned another kit might be better quality than the RF.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.