3500Hz fourth-order Linkwitz-Riley compatible tweeters

PrinceCharming
10+ year member

PrinceCharming
I might be getting some JBL C608GTI MKII mids and the crossover that goes with it, but I would have to get the tweeters separate. My question is are there any other tweeters fully compatible with this set's crossover (3500Hz fourth-order Linkwitz-Riley) and what are they? I know where I can get the ones that go with it but I would rather get some better tweeters if I can. My limit is about $120. I can mount on-axis, off-axis, or a more specific place would be pointing toward the windshield. I think I would prefer a metal dome because I listen to a lot of hip hop, rap, and rock and I just kinda like the loud, not really shrilly, but I can't think of another word at this time. What do you guys think?

I don't want to go active right now because I don't have proper processing and here's the link for the specs of the set if anyone needs it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FZtj7vnna2GhzA

I might be getting some JBL C608GTI MKII mids and the crossover that goes with it, but I would have to get the tweeters separate. My question is are there any other tweeters fully compatible with this set's crossover (3500Hz fourth-order Linkwitz-Riley) and what are they? I know where I can get the ones that go with it but I would rather get some better tweeters if I can. My limit is about $120. I can mount on-axis, off-axis, or a more specific place would be pointing toward the windshield. I think I would prefer a metal dome because I listen to a lot of hip hop, rap, and rock and I just kinda like the loud, not really shrilly, but I can't think of another word at this time. What do you guys think?
I don't want to go active right now because I don't have proper processing and here's the link for the specs of the set if anyone needs it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FZtj7vnna2GhzA
hard to think of any 1" drivers that can't handle being crossed that high. do you prefer silk, aluminum, titanium, etc?

I agree. Most car tweeters can handle that. If you want a tweeter that's better than average consider Seas Prestige Aluminum tweeter. There is also the textile version, though people who heard both say the aluminum is more detailed without being harsh.

The Madisound Speaker Store

However, I must warn you that being compatible with the crossover frequency and slope is not enough. The issue is with matching levels. The original crossover network expects a tweeter with a certain sensitivity. Generally, we have no idea if the replacement tweeter has higher or lower sensitivity. Moreover, if you mismatch the expected and actual sensitivities, may make the sound either better or worse. After all, due to the unpredictable distance from the individual speakers to your head, the passive crossover can not always match speaker's levels to each other well. Granted, you can always plug in the tweeter, and if you don't like the sound play with EQ in the upper midrange and treble regions.

Biggest concern is the DCR of the replacement tweeter as the values of every component in series and parallel with it were designed for the original driver. Any DCR other than a very close match to the original driver will provide a different crossover point and will likely cause overlap or dips (the woofer's cross point will remain static), ultimately causing phase issues which will destroy any harmony/coherency you enjoyed with the stock set. What's tough to know is if the 4th order slope was achieved with a combination of the driver's natural roll off and the electrical filter, or if it's a true 4th order filter on a driver that actually plays much lower than that. As mentioned, sensitivity should play into your decision making as well. This can cause the same problems above relating to overlaps or dips forcing a different cross point.

yep, best if you can see an impedance plot of the original tweeters. even 3/4" tweeters should be fine with that crossover point.

as long as the nominal impedance is the same, you are fine using different tweeters.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.