How well will these work together?

Participant count
  • Participant list

6 SPEED
10+ year member

SE Wi
Picked up a Kicker 05CVR122 (12" dvc 20hm) and an Alpine MRP-M1000 in trade yesterday. I know a lot of people on here hate on Kicker, but it wasn't something I dropped money on. I've heard it both ways that the Kicker will take more power than it's rated for, and that it'll take a dump with excessive power.

Anyone here have experience with running a single CVR on a higher rated amp? I'd like to throw these in my truck until I can get the equipment I'm pining for (Alpine PDX-V9, Sundown SD-2 10, still undecided on speakers), but don't want to kill it the first day it's hooked up. If the Alpine is too much for the Kicker, I also have a Sony XM-6001GXD sitting here that I could use.

Ya, You will have to run at 4ohms, since you have a DVC 2ohm sub, and a 2ohm stable amp, But Yes the CVR sub can take one Hell of a Beating! More than Rated,and always have been able too since the StillWater series That I know of

Thanks for the advice on the Kicker. What do you say about the SD2-12D2 on this amp, wired for 4ohm? I've got to pull the rear trim out of the truck and measure out exactly how much space I've got, but I should be able to fit the 12 with the box I want to build. Going into a single cab Ranger, not a lot of room to work with

Thanks for the advice on the Kicker. What do you say about the SD2-12D2 on this amp, wired for 4ohm? I've got to pull the rear trim out of the truck and measure out exactly how much space I've got, but I should be able to fit the 12 with the box I want to build. Going into a single cab Ranger, not a lot of room to work with
For the Money...And to get that amp to shell out some power,and Since it is a Temporary set up , until you get the funds/all the equipment you want to get in there, For a sub that not only will Slamm for the money/and Cheap!,That you can run that amp to its potential@2ohms, and get the Cobwebs out of..I recommend this sub for you,due to owning a pair of tens for myself as a temp set up, and just about did not want to remove the subs..Worth every penny,and Full Warranty!

New Lanzar MAXP124D 12" Max Pro 1600W Car Audio Subwoofer Sub 1600 Watt 068888877466 | eBay

that Sub will Bang Its Azz off @2ohms, if you build a ported box around 1.2-1.4cu ft box

You Need to stay away from DVC2ohm subs if you want to use that amps full potential on a single sub(DVC4ohm)or stick with the DVC2 ohm if you want to run a PAIR,on that amp @2ohms.I recommend running @2ohms on that amp with that Lanzar Max Pro sub in a Ported enclosure..just my2 cents..Have you bought the amp?Or are you working with an Amp/Sub combo Budget?Whats your Budget you are working with?

I got the Alpine and Kicker as part of a trade, they're sitting on my desk right now. The Alpine definitely works, I flat out toasted the Sony sub I had in there as a temp.

The truck is currently wired up with 4g wire, power and ground, with the ground bolted to the frame right below the cab. I really like what I've seen with the Sundown subs, and plan to buy one of those in the future, but for now I was hoping to use the Kicker. Basically just trying to use what I have for now, and then save up for the stuff I really want.

Reason I asked about the 2ohm Sundown was the RMS rating on the sub (500rms) vs the RMS of the Alpine (600rms@4ohm, 1kwRMS@2ohm). I'd like to stick with a single sub, due to placement in the cab. I noticed that the subs I tried in the truck so far sounded better between the seats rather than directly behind one of the seats. Less muffled, clearer, could hear more of what it produced. So I figured that running a single Sundown 2ohm DVC @ 4ohm would keep from frying it.

Also, budget right now is downright non-existant. Truck suddenly decided it needed things fixed, so I wont even have the cash to pick up lumber for the box for a week or two. Definitely need to see what I can do with what I have lol

That amp is stable @2ohms Mono, so it will be just fine to run it at 2ohms all day long.To get the most out of your set up, Id run that amp at 2ohms, and get a DVC4ohm sub to wire to 2ohms, and you will be set/just fine.I run 2ohms instead of 1ohm on my subs,due to the less electrical current draw, and to me sounds much cleaner, and gives me the bass response I am looking for.You can run that Kicker no problem at the 4ohm stability for the amp, and be just fine/no issues,and save up for the subwoofer you want(I recommend getting a DVC4 ohm sub for your amp).Yes, The sub placement is much better than from behind the seats.Most SQ people I know run a single sub in a truck in a Center Console,or build in between the seats,to get a better made box for the sub,rather than a slim box behind the seats.I recommend you build an enclosure that fits up front..Kickers love a little more space than most subs to perform at theyre best...from my experiencing with Kicker since 1988 StillWater Kickers.That 12 would be very well in a 1.2-1.4 cu ft ported enclosure of approx 34-38 hertz tuned.It would sond very nice in an enclosure of that spacing..Here is a diagram of the wiring configuration for running a single DVC2 ohm sub, then a DVC4ohm sub that the amplifier will be able to handle, as well as the sub with gains set properly

Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams, One 2 ohm Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Speaker You want to run at the 4ohm load on this sub

Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams, One 4 ohm Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Speaker This on the new sub you buy A dvc4ohm

Thanks Audiobaun! I need to measure the full amount of space I can utilize, but I should be able to do somewhere in the neighborhood of 2cf. I was looking up the sub, and the specs I found called for 1.75 minimum for a ported box. Are there any problems to be had with running the smaller size that you recommended?

Thanks Audiobaun! I need to measure the full amount of space I can utilize, but I should be able to do somewhere in the neighborhood of 2cf. I was looking up the sub, and the specs I found called for 1.75 minimum for a ported box. Are there any problems to be had with running the smaller size that you recommended?
Not at all, but if you can run a bigger enclosure,by all means.. do it..If you can run that 2.0cu ft ported,run it..That would sound very nice indeed.Really clean.If you dont have 1,75,try a 1.6 even..The bigger, and closer to specs as possible is ideal..I wouldnt go any smaller than the 1.2-1.4 for a CVR12 for sure.But 2.0 ported??Should sound very nice!

Audiobaun, I went out and measured my truck, and plugged the available space into the box calc that RE offers on their website. How does this look to you?

box_zps368c5770.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.