2019 GMC Terrain 4th order "wall"

Dafaseles

CarAudio.com Exclusive
So, a buddy of mine and I started a little build on his vehicle.
First the equipment...
2 Skar VXF 15's
2 Skar SKV21500.1D's
1 XS Power D4800 under the hood
1 XS Power D7500 in the back (unless anyone thinks such a big 2nd battery is a bad idea.)
4 Skar VX35-ST 3.5" bullet tweeters (2 in each front door)
8 8 ohm Skar FXS65 6.5" midrange speakers (4 in each door)
1 SKv2-200.4 for the mids
1 SKv2-100.4 for the tweeters
Audio Control LC2-I for factory had unit integration
And a few other odds and ends (1/0 cable, RCA's, this thing, that thing)
I know, I know... Skar... but it's budget equipment, and it's his money, so who am I to say anything.
Unfortunately, we weren't able to find an upgrade for his stock alternator. It is what it is. If we need to go 3 batteries, we will.
Here's a picture of the plan we got
Screenshot_20220710-204945.jpg

First, as all builds go, we started cutting. All the cuts for his enclosure where done with a straight edge, some clamps. The one thing I learned, I need a table saw.... so, after we where done, I bought a table saw.
Screenshot_20220712-155923_Gallery.jpg

All the pieces of the box are 2 pieces of ¾" MDF glued and screwed together to make it 1½" thick.

Last edited:
So, getting to the baffle. The subs are going to be inverted, so I wanted the cut out to be as tight on the surround without touching it as possible. I'm sure there's a smarter way to go about it, but this is what I did.
Started off tracing the top of the sub into a board, and cutting it with my jigsaw. Then I screwed it to the sub, and used my router with a flush trim bit to make it nice and perfect
Screenshot_20220712-160120_Gallery.jpg

I was careful not to damage or punch the surround too much.
Then I used my rabbiting bit to shrink the template ½" to adjust for the flush trim bit size. I used template tape to secure the template to the baffle, then started cutting out the holes
Screenshot_20220712-160133_Gallery.jpg

Glued the second piece to the bottom (I don't have a tall enough flush trim bit to do both pieces at the same time), drilled a hole, then cut the second piece. Came out good
Screenshot_20220712-160223_Gallery.jpg

And I rounded the edges for good measure
Screenshot_20220712-160927_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Next, we cut the piece for the plexiglass insert. I did the same kind of deal I did with the baffle. Cut a rough cut with the jigsaw, template taped the plexy to the piece, made a template, rabbit bit to make it smaller, attached the template to the enclosure piece, and cut it out. Then I had to make the template piece an inch smaller for the back piece.
Screenshot_20220712-161014_Gallery.jpg

Then drilled a hole every 2" for the threaded inserts so we could bolt it into place

Last edited:
He worked on his doors at his house.
The doors will hold 3 6.5's and 2 tweeters each with 1 6.5 in each kick panel
Screenshot_20220712-161659_Gallery.jpg

Cut a little plastic out of the way and dropped some fleece on it
Screenshot_20220712-161716_Gallery.jpg

Checked the door fitment
Screenshot_20220712-161730_Gallery.jpg

And he finished them up with some fiberglass and some vinyl to match the cars interior
Screenshot_20220712-161745_Gallery.jpg

They didn't come out as clean as I would have liked, but it's his car and he's happy. That's all that matters to me. He said he's going to redo the vinyl though, and clean it up a bit

So, a buddy of mine and I started a little build on his vehicle.
First the equipment...
2 Skar VXF 15's
2 Skar SKV21500.1D's
1 XS Power D4800 under the hood
1 XS Power D7500 in the back (unless anyone thinks such a big 2nd battery is a bad idea.)
4 Skar VX35-ST 3.5" bullet tweeters (2 in each front door)
8 8 ohm Skar FXS65 6.5" midrange speakers (4 in each door)
1 SKv2-200.4 for the mids
1 SKv2-100.4 for the tweeters
Audio Control LC2-I for factory had unit integration
And a few other odds and ends (1/0 cable, RCA's, this thing, that thing)
I know, I know... Skar... but it's budget equipment, and it's his money, so who am I to say anything.
Unfortunately, we weren't able to find an upgrade for his stock alternator. It is what it is. If we need to go 3 batteries, we will.
Here's a picture of the plan we gotView attachment 40079

Nice build and work man! Skar is perfectly acceptable equipment. I catch the same **** for running American Bass subs. That system should bang for sure. Let the haters hate. Keep on bangin'

Nice build and work man! Skar is perfectly acceptable equipment. I catch the same **** for running American Bass subs. That system should bang for sure. Let the haters hate. Keep on bangin'
It's not my personal choice of equipment, but no, I'm not hating on anyone's choices. It's turning out to be a fun build. As long as my folks are happy, I'm happy.

It's not my personal choice of equipment, but no, I'm not hating on anyone's choices. It's turning out to be a fun build. As long as my folks are happy, I'm happy.

People should just run what they want. Too many people in here like to shitt on other's people's equipment. My system has a mix of Kenwood, American Bass, Deaf Bonce, Sundown, Crescendo, and Rockford Fosgate. People shouldn't be judged for their Car Audio choices. Bass on man! Good Luck!

People should just run what they want. Too many people in here like to shitt on other's people's equipment. My system has a mix of Kenwood, American Bass, Deaf Bonce, Sundown, Crescendo, and Rockford Fosgate. People shouldn't be judged for their Car Audio choices. Bass on man! Good Luck!
I mean, I'm not going to front.... if one of my friends are trying to run boss or some sh*t, I'm going to try and talk them out of it....🤣
My system is FI, B&C, Dynovox, Sundown, and Cresendo with full tilt and knukonceptz wiring and a mini DSP. I'm sure people have their opinions about all equipment. That's cool too. I'll listen. But really, if it doesn't directly effect my money or my family, I couldn't care less. I'm definitely not going to get into an argument with someone over the internet about it 🤣

Next step was installing and building the enclosure. I made a pretty sweet platform for the enclosure using 2×4's and a 2×6, and bolted it to the chassis. I wish I got pictures of it, but I guess I didn't.
We screwed the bottom piece to the platform first, then, with a little fandangling, got one side up
Screenshot_20220712-184205_Gallery.jpg
then the back
Screenshot_20220712-184219_Gallery.jpg

My buddy bought this little jig that pre drills starter holes at an angle. This made installing the enclosure in place so much easier.
Then we installed the brace and baffle, caulked and fiberglassed the seams, then started painting
Screenshot_20220712-184234_Gallery.jpg
he's got a neon green theme going through his vehicle
Screenshot_20220712-184303_Gallery.jpg

The sealed section
Screenshot_20220712-184246_Gallery.jpg
we left the side off to make it easier to install the speaker terminals and subs and to do some finish up work

He started on the amp rack. Getting the amps set the way he liked them and mocking up some wire placement
Screenshot_20220712-185342_Gallery.jpg
this is just temporary until he gets the batteries and the mids and highs amp. Then final fitment. As you can see, he brought the green theme to the amps as well. That's a kicker CXA400.4 to sit in until he gets the SKV2-200.4, so we can play and test everything.
Screenshot_20220712-185413_Gallery.jpg
this is with the subs installed and plexy in
Screenshot_20220712-185426_Gallery.jpg
fits nice and comfortable behind the front seats
Screenshot_20220712-185441_Gallery.jpg
next step is making some beauty panels for the front of the enclosure. He said he's going to vinyl that too. I tried to talk him into long hair shag carpet, but his wife wasn't going for it🤣
We drive around and tested it out as it sits now. There's definitely something to be said about having the port a couple inches from the back of your head. A completely different experience from normal builds I'm used to. In my opinion, walls hit different. Albeit, this is the only "wall" I've heard lol.
We're also in the process of prepping the vehicle for foam and to fiberglass the edges to seal off the front completely from the sides and back. Keep all that pressure upfront.
I'll keep posting progress as we make it

I'm very impressed. Looks like a lot of effort to me. I'm just a newbie but helll yeah.

A possible suggestion:
I have a 99 Avalon. Stock alt is 100amp. I looked on Rockauto for different years and models of Toyotas with the same engine.
A 2005 Sienna alternator uses the same bolt pattern (mounting) as my 99 Avalon (i guessed from comparing photos) and its a 150amp alt.
It was like $120.
I needed to do a small wiring job to convert the 4pin Sienna alt to my 3pin Avalon alt. It's been trouble free for 5 months.

Maybe a similar solution exists for your buddy.

I'm very impressed. Looks like a lot of effort to me. I'm just a newbie but helll yeah.

A possible suggestion:
I have a 99 Avalon. Stock alt is 100amp. I looked on Rockauto for different years and models of Toyotas with the same engine.
A 2005 Sienna alternator uses the same bolt pattern (mounting) as my 99 Avalon (i guessed from comparing photos) and its a 150amp alt.
It was like $120.
I needed to do a small wiring job to convert the 4pin Sienna alt to my 3pin Avalon alt. It's been trouble free for 5 months.

Maybe a similar solution exists for your buddy.
Thank you. Yeah, I was a little impressed myself🤣 sometimes you can surprise yourself time to time.
That thought already crossed my mind. All the GM vehicles (except 2500 trucks and up) after 2006 all got regulated voltage monitors. So it would have to have been a 2006 and up, small case alternator. Well, GM used the same alt in all their turbo 4 cylinder engines. Figures. And if we bypassed the VRC, it would throw a battery light, and cause a sh*t ton of other problems. But thank you for the suggestion. All are VERY welcome. Especially when it comes to the electrical. This vehicles electrical upgrades have been a pain in the *ss! Lol

He started on the amp rack. Getting the amps set the way he liked them and mocking up some wire placementView attachment 40137this is just temporary until he gets the batteries and the mids and highs amp. Then final fitment. As you can see, he brought the green theme to the amps as well. That's a kicker CXA400.4 to sit in until he gets the SKV2-200.4, so we can play and test everything. View attachment 40138this is with the subs installed and plexy inView attachment 40139fits nice and comfortable behind the front seatsView attachment 40140next step is making some beauty panels for the front of the enclosure. He said he's going to vinyl that too. I tried to talk him into long hair shag carpet, but his wife wasn't going for it🤣
We drive around and tested it out as it sits now. There's definitely something to be said about having the port a couple inches from the back of your head. A completely different experience from normal builds I'm used to. In my opinion, walls hit different. Albeit, this is the only "wall" I've heard lol.
We're also in the process of prepping the vehicle for foam and to fiberglass the edges to seal off the front completely from the sides and back. Keep all that pressure upfront.
I'll keep posting progress as we make it

Walls are another level of bass, IMO. One like this, it’s just so much box pressurizing that relatively tiny cab, and it usually makes the vehicle stronger, just depends on how it’s all done. I like the green and black. You definitely put quite a bit of work into this. Are you gonna have any videos of the wall playing?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...