2018 Wrangler JL- Upgrading from JL Audio 8" microsub

so do one thing before you do any of this.... take your micro sub,  there's a port hole by the amplifier area of the sub.  place the box closer to the rear of the car and closest to either he left or right side of the car with the sub facing out and the port hole firing to the rear hatch. Report back and let me know how that sounds. Have the box close to the hatch as you can, preferably 6-18 inches.

Last edited by a moderator:
so do one thing before you do any of this.... take your micro sub,  there's a port hole by the amplifier area of the sub.  place the box closer to the rear of the car and closest to either he left or right side of the car with the sub facing out and the port hole firing to the rear hatch. Report back and let me know how that sounds. Have the box close to the hatch as you can, preferably 6-18 inches.
I dont want to move it to the rear due to the floor hatch that I open quite often to get stuff stored in there.  Here are pics of the setup where I have it screwed to a 2×6 wood board under the carpet on the side with port facing the 2nd seat.  The board is attached to the side of the jeep via 3 sheetmetal screws.  The port isnt covered up bc the seatback is angled.  Recommendations?

20190607_105647.jpg

20190607_105713.jpg

I dont want to move it to the rear due to the floor hatch that I open quite often to get stuff stored in there.  Here are pics of the setup where I have it screwed to a 2×6 wood board under the carpet on the side with port facing the 2nd seat.  The board is attached to the side of the jeep via 3 sheetmetal screws.  The port isnt covered up bc the seatback is angled.  Recommendations?
the location is fine, however you want to flip the box around till the port fires the rear.  You'll have zero low end with the port firing the front. take off the sheet metal screws and fire the port to the rear.  Port always needs to fire at a loading wall for any kind of low end performance.   You are in the least optimal position with the port firing forward.

the location is fine, however you want to flip the box around till the port fires the rear.  You'll have zero low end with the port firing the front. take off the sheet metal screws and fire the port to the rear.  Port always needs to fire at a loading wall for any kind of low end performance.   You are in the least optimal position with the port firing forward.
I did it like that so the wiring could be hidden...if I flip it around the port and wiring will be exposed.  I wish there was a way to move the port or wiring. 

I'm serious about wanting to go to the 10"  Dayton HO to get better sound.  Any ideas for how I can tuck the box in that corner where the current sub sits?  

I did it like that so the wiring could be hidden...if I flip it around the port and wiring will be exposed.  I wish there was a way to move the port or wiring. 

I'm serious about wanting to go to the 10"  Dayton HO to get better sound.  Any ideas for how I can tuck the box in that corner where the current sub sits?  
build your own box so you can get proper custom fit. Any newbie can build a square box with zero experience and tools.

But before you do anything like that, just flip the box around with the port firing the rear.  This is to just show you that there's other factors that Majorly affect performance.

build your own box so you can get proper custom fit. Any newbie can build a square box with zero experience and tools.

But before you do anything like that, just flip the box around with the port firing the rear.  This is to just show you that there's other factors that Majorly affect performance.
Ok...however, I know I wont like the wiring exposed and I'm not sure my cables will reach.  Any ideas on how to hide the wiring? Will it sound ALOT better?

it should be A LOT deeper.  Get some kind of panel to cover the wire and push the wire to the side behind the enclosure.... Just be creative.
I measured and I could build a box with external dimensions 11.5" wide × 11.5 length  × 9" deep.  Is this big enough for a 10" sub?

no because your port is still not firing to the rear. thats the absolute most important thing ive been trying to say all this time... if you can build a box, you can build a beauty panel....
My fault...to clarify, I was referring to buying similiar to your recommended box(slightly smaller width for a 10" dayton HO) that has the angled rear portion up against the seatback and making it rear facing in the corner.  

My fault...to clarify, I was referring to buying similiar to your recommended box(slightly smaller width for a 10" dayton HO) that has the angled rear portion up against the seatback and making it rear facing in the corner.  
for a sealed box as long as the sub is firing to the rear you'll be fine.  Side firing inwards like your current JL sub less optimal and any other firing positioning will just render the sealed sub setup almost useless.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.