2018 Altima, good Sound quality system, don't know much

Participant count
  • Participant list
Thanks for the info.  I think I like the idea of prepping everything and then doing the install.  I like having projects to work on to numb the drumming of life.  Thanks again.

Another question.  

As stated my goal is to have a kick ass sweet sounding system in the car and if it's loud so be it but not the first goal.

I found the Carputer thread and now I can't quite comprehend some of the techyy stuff but I like the idea of having the, to a novice, seemingly endless possibilities.  Can I get awesome sound quality running from a home built carputer?  I have multiple friends/family that are software dudes and the like so I can bounce questions if I need.

I really enjoy having projects and learning something new, just don't want to get %2000000 over my head.

i'd strongly not suggest you dabble into that until you get yourself a good sounding system first.
Fair enough.   Is that because of the added complexity of the computer and the sound system together makes it difficult to know which could potentially be the issue or just that it is a lot of work?

Another question.  

As stated my goal is to have a kick ass sweet sounding system in the car and if it's loud so be it but not the first goal.

I found the Carputer thread and now I can't quite comprehend some of the techyy stuff but I like the idea of having the, to a novice, seemingly endless possibilities.  Can I get awesome sound quality running from a home built carputer?  I have multiple friends/family that are software dudes and the like so I can bounce questions if I need.

I really enjoy having projects and learning something new, just don't want to get %2000000 over my head.
If you have the time to do it right, and that’s how you’re going to tackle this, get on DIYMA and read the Sound Deadener Shootout thread. Then watch the youtube video by Richard Vedvick about deadening car doors and killing the backwave. Use the info from both of those, and you should end up with a perfectly deadened car, ready for any equipment you put in!

If you have the time to do it right, and that’s how you’re going to tackle this, get on DIYMA and read the Sound Deadener Shootout thread. Then watch the youtube video by Richard Vedvick about deadening car doors and killing the backwave. Use the info from both of those, and you should end up with a perfectly deadened car, ready for any equipment you put in!
I will thanks. I have not updated this but I have decided to do the carputer.  I've bought most all of the parts and working on install audiomulch and a few other items.   Still have not decided on the speaker system yet but that will be next after I get all of this installed.

I'll take a load of pictures and write up what I did.  Plan is to make it as stock looking as possible.

Should be fun.

Ok 

Have the carputer put together outside of the car and running.  Haven't had much time to work on it but I plan on using centrafuse as well audiomulch and a few other bits of software for the audio processing signal. Still working on the soundcard/car audio interface but its moving along.

I'll put a parts list together if anyone is interested.  

Went to th local high end If there is such a thing and he said i want dd audio A class speakers and tweeters and either 2 8 or 1 10 sub.

Outside of the dd audio he talked about infinity reference I believe though they were a bit higher priced, and neither were able to be listened to.

I listened to some focal speakers as well, and loved them.  They were not the highest end but the second highest in price at least that I liked.

It seems like dd audio is not mainstream and i kind of like being different.  

I'm on my phone and will link to both in a bit but would appreciate any opinions on either.

if you're planning on replacing head unit? Personally I'd start there and work my way back, if you're adding things as you purchase equipment. That way your not integrating amps etc. To the stock hu. 

Sure,  been reading seems that's the first step. 
the lil lady and i have been looking at altimas of the same year (2017's too) and the h/u doesnt look like an integral part of the car itself, so a double din deck would slot in well and look good, plus you should be able to integrate the backup cam to it. Start at the deck and work back. The doors in those are easy to take apart too for speaker replacement.

the lil lady and i have been looking at altimas of the same year (2017's too) and the h/u doesnt look like an integral part of the car itself, so a double din deck would slot in well and look good, plus you should be able to integrate the backup cam to it. Start at the deck and work back. The doors in those are easy to take apart too for speaker replacement.
I bought it mainly for the 10 year 200000 full warranty if you keep up withthe maintenance.   I put more than 100 miles a day on it just for work so having a little piece of mind is nice.  I have done nothing to it yet. Been working on the computer stuff but I think your assumption of it not being difficult is correct.  

I bought it mainly for the 10 year 200000 full warranty if you keep up withthe maintenance.   I put more than 100 miles a day on it just for work so having a little piece of mind is nice.  I have done nothing to it yet. Been working on the computer stuff but I think your assumption of it not being difficult is correct.  
computer stuff? are you wanting to go with a car-puter?

computer stuff? are you wanting to go with a car-puter?
Yes, I decided on a carputer.  For a few reasons, not the least of which being I don't really have any idea how it all works and I wanted to figure it all out.

It has not been easy and quite frustrating but once I get it all figured out I think it will be enjoyable.  I am into for a tad more than a good high end head unit and I feel I will have even greater flexibility with it once it is completed.  Same reason I am attempting to learn how to code using python, and I have zero experience with it.  No illusion of it being a money maker for me but I am interested so thought why not.

I put audiomulch on my laptop and I am figure out how that all works, so that is good news.   My plan is to have wifi which can tether to my phone for the kids in the back to stream videos, and just to say I have it!  Thought it would be nice ot be able to run upgrades via wifi at home as well if I want/need to.

Seems that I will have a bit more control over the sound system as well with a computer based system versus a HU.  Time will tell, I am not in a huge rush so I can take my time and hopefully figure this stuff out as I go.

Ok, so lets talk speakers.

These are what the guy at the shop, which seems to deal in large numbers with DD Audio said I would like. 

He also said these are probably the best sq speaker out there.  

I have not been able to listen to either, so there's that.

A second place had these, in shop for 299.  Not sure why they are showing 699 online.  Maybe it was just the speakers with out the crossover.  I listened to them and loved them.  Edit:  It was just the 6.5 and not the tweeter.

I suppose my question is are there parameters for these speakers that I should or could compare?  I know listening is subjective to some degree and I have only been able to listen to the one set.  The higher priced focals I didn't like at all but I suppose they could have been hooked up differently or incorrectly or something.  The focals I linked to seemed very full bodied so to speak I guess and the higher end focals were very metallic sounding.

Opinion's vary I know but what say ya'll.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an old school set of McIntosh 2-way components that I’m not going to be using if you are interested.

One of the plastic pieces that holds the spade was damaged during shipping, but was fixed with some E6000.

B5F63798-E189-42AD-824C-3A5F9324A63C.jpeg

5E2ACC40-10C6-4B77-B1D2-ACD05348E411.jpeg

343F233B-BED4-44C3-B6FC-D93E581B0C96.jpeg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.