2006 Lincoln LS install

sweet setup...i wish i had audio skills to do over my sound system
Keep reading and don't be afraid to ask questions. You'll learn the basics pretty quickly, and you'll be building your own setup before you know it.

Just remember that everyone had to start somewhere...

thanks man, but to be honest if kind of afraid to ask questions...i just look around and admire the great work you guys do for your and others car's. Maybe i'll start a thread on what i have in my car and get advice from starting one. But its looks great

thanks man, but to be honest if kind of afraid to ask questions...i just look around and admire the great work you guys do for your and others car's. Maybe i'll start a thread on what i have in my car and get advice from starting one. But its looks great
There's nothing wrong with asking questions, man. I've been doing this type of work since I was a kid, and I still have a ton of weaknesses. I can hold my own when working with mdf, but my fiberglass skills are laughable. My inability to work with fiberglass will be addressed eventually, and you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be asking some questions when the time comes.

Here's another pic of the vehicle. It's filthy, so there's no point in doing a photoshoot. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

theride.jpg

Now's the time to chronicle a little more of the progress that's been made.

Here are the finished speaker pods/baffles that will go into the front doors.

finishedpods.jpg

I removed the factory pods, added a .75" mdf baffle to the front, covered the entire thing with dynamat xtreme inside & out and then sprayed primer. I still wasn't happy with them, so I wrapped them in black carpet.

Here's the install kit for the forthcoming Alpine IVA-W505

homeforthealpine1.jpg

I didn't even have to paint this thing, and it matches the interior pretty nicely. At least there was one easy thing in this install.

Here's how I wired the doors.

wireloom.jpg

The front boots were covered by fuse boxes and whatnot, and the rear ones were tiny. Even after removing the cluttered mess that covered the boots, it was impossible to pass two runs of .12 speaker wire through them. A compromise was made, but I think it turned out alright. I repeated this process on all 4 doors.

This is what I did in the rear doors.

rearpassengersclose.jpg

These pods are identical to the ones that will go into the front doors. Factory pod, .75" mdf baffle, dynamat xtreme inside & out and black carpet to hide the ugliness. The rears are still a work in progress, though. Everything that's covered in primer will be carpeted in the end. Should look clean.

Here's the first shipment from knukonceptz.

stufffromknukonceptz.jpg

Another package is on the way, and it will include RCA cables and various terminals & fittings.

There's a lot more, but I don't feel like uploading pics all day.

Thanks for looking...

Been busy I see, but looks good. Ive always liked those cars.
Yeah, it's been very time consuming. Then there's the weather. It rains for days on end, and then when it clears up a bit the temperature hits 90+ degrees. I'm basically doing this work by myself too. The owner of the vehicle is helping, but he's a noob. This is his first time doing this type of work, so I spend just as much time explaining WHY we're doing something as opposed to actually doing it. It's cool, though. I enjoy teaching people the basic stuff, and hopefully I won't have to do his next install. I can't wait to get started on the enclosure and amp rack. It should be an adventure.

I'll be sure to remember all of this work when it's time to do the wall in my Dakota too.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Decided to install the pods in the front doors.

finishedpodinstalled.jpg

Guy wanted the wire for the tweeter to exit through the baffle, because drilling a hole in the dynamat would be bad. It's his world, I'm just living in it. Not really a big deal anyway...

I don't have any interesting updates, really.

The interior has been reassembled, and everything went back in place without a hitch. All of the wiring is 100% complete (all KnuKonceptz), and I'm waiting on the rest of the equipment. The guy we ordered the Kinetik HC2000 from turned out to be a deadbeat, and he still hasn't refunded my friend's cash. My friend leaves for a 4 week stint on the river barge this coming tuesday, and he's supposed to wire money for the Alpine IVA-W505 and DC Level 4 15" (finally talked the guy into running the 15") while he's gone. Once that happens, I'll be able to get started on the trunk.

That's about all I can do for now, but I'll be providing updates when more progress is made.

Thanks for being interested, guys. It's very much appreciated...

EDIT: I totally forgot to mention the layer of Luxury Liner Pro that we installed. Removing the seats and carpet was a total PITA, just like everything else in this Lincoln, but it turned out okay. I was far too furious to bother with taking pictures of the progress, though.

90 degree heat + swarming insects biting the hell out of me all day = not bothering with pics.

I would highly recommend the luxury liner pro. It's like a total night and day difference now. You can barely hear any road noise in the Lincoln.

I may use Second Skin's damplifier pro and luxury liner all over my Dakota when the time comes.

I've been kicking around ideas for the trunk, and I need some help.

I want to port through the rear deck or armrest, and I've never done that before. How do I calculate port length/tuning frequency when using an external port? Also, will the external port function differently than a normal slotted enclosure? Would someone knowledgeable help me out here?

I'm guessing a couple of small aeros through the rear deck would be the best way to go here, but I've never used aero ports in the past...

I'm going to do a false wall in the trunk with a leather or vinyl trimmed face, so I guess porting through the rear deck or seat is my only real option...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.