2006 Acura TL - JL Audio Setup vs. Rockford Fosgate Setup

Thanks in advance to any and all willing to share their expertise to help me with my decision. Here's my situation:

Currently have a 2006 Acura TL with a stock stereo system (8" woofer, 2 - 6x9 speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers in front doors, 2 tweeters). Looking to make an upgrade. Used to have 2 - JL Audio 12W3s back in the day with a 500/1 monoblock JL Audio Amp (with 2 - 5.25" door speakers and 2 - 5x7 rear speakers, all Infiniti brand). I'm looking for bass that is more crisp, clean, but can still pound.

I recently went shopping. I was quoted the following prices for the following two setups:

1.) JL Audio Setup (my preference) - ~$2,800

1 - 10W6 subwoofer (fiber glass custom box to fit in rear, left of trunk)

1 - Multi-channel JL Audio Amplifier (75x4 for speakers; 300x1 for subwoofer)

2 - 6.5" JL Audio circular speakers w tweeters for front (entry level, C-somethings??)

2 - 6x9 JL Audio rear speakers

1 - Not sure what you call this. Device to integrate all speakers / subwoofer into the existing

headunit. I have navigation system stock w car, so it's a touch screen. This device also

has an auxilary output to hook up an iPod or w/e.

Labor charges, wires, etc.

2.) Rockford Fosgate Setup - ~$1,700

1 - 10P2 or 10V2 subwoofer (cost is only about $100) w standard box, nothing special

1 - Rockford Fosgate Multichannel Amplifier for speakers & subwoofer

2 - MTX 6.5" speakers for front w tweeters

2 - MTX 6x9 rear speakers

1 - The device to integrate, as stated above

Labor charges, 4 gauge wiring, etc.

I think #2 is a crappy setup and #1 is over-priced. I'm debating buying the stuff online and strictly paying someone to install it, but my understanding is that there is a huge markup on the equipment and if you don't buy from them, they won't be as inclined to do as good of a job in terms of installation.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

no way for any of those man.....for that money u can do wayyyyy better heck we could put u a system together that would make that look like meat scraps

your right the mark up is really high. but some shops will cut you a great deal depending on how much you buy at once and how persuasive you can be, haggle a little. ok i dont know much about the stock deck but im pretty sure there are integration devices out there. If it were me id go with a single t2 12" which is about $530 at a good shop, i would also purchase a $100 autocraft battery from advanced auto which has a reserve around 180min. and put it in the back beside the single 12 box which i will asuume costs $100. Then id try my best to get a hold of one of the old rockford power elite t10001bd amps for the sub(you can still find these online)which is around $250 used and they will put out a true 1500 watts at 1ohm, worst case scenerio baterry wise at 10volts they will still do around 1000watts till the amp cuts off. anyway then highs wise there are several paths, its really up to what you fancy ive heard a set of cheap pioneer coaxels with a rockford t600-2 per speaker(gains vertually all the way down, if any) and even with the crappy coaxels rated at 75 watts peak they still did rather decent. but ill allocate in this mock equation $200 for highs. and id probably use a t600-2 or a t600-4 for the highs this should be plenty for 4 speakers which runs about $480. ok the sub total is now $1660, wiring if you run double alt gauge from the front battery to the back one and then to the amp is roughly 20 ft but ill say 23 to be safe and at roughly $3 per foot thats $69, and you need both positive and negative so $138 all together. an ANL fuse block behind the front battery which is $12 with a $3 150amp fuse. then two 20ft RCA cables $20 a piece, 20ft remote wire roughly $6, roughly five alt gauge battery ring terminals which is about $15. 10ft 8 guage speaker wire for the subs( a t2 will withstand two 8 gauge stands going into each coil) which is around $10. and of course depending on where you mount your highs amp is related to how much wire you would need but ill assume you put it in the trunk as well. so if you were to need two sets of speaker wire then thats 40ft of 12 guage(16 gauge will work too) which is roughly $30. and last but not least 4 gauge power wire for the highs amp which if next to the back battery is 5 ft positive 5 ft negative so 10ft at $1.50 per foot so $15. i dont think ive forgotten anything but if i have i do apologize it is 3:05 AM here and im a bit tired. so now the total comes to $1,929 for everything and i do insist that this setup will dominate most. I dont think installing is all that hard myself and so for me this would be the total but if you have to get help then the total will go up but the point that i guess im trying to make is that rockford makes some pretty nice stuff that can still be affordable to the average guy. I hope someone gets something out of this. good luck to ya regardless of your path.

your right the mark up is really high. But some shops will cut you a great deal depending on how much you buy at once and how persuasive you can be, haggle a little. Ok i dont know much about the stock deck but im pretty sure there are integration devices out there. If it were me id go with a single t2 12" which is about $530 at a good shop, i would also purchase a $100 autocraft battery from advanced auto which has a reserve around 180min. And put it in the back beside the single 12 box which i will asuume costs $100. Then id try my best to get a hold of one of the old rockford power elite t10001bd amps for the sub(you can still find these online)which is around $250 used and they will put out a true 1500 watts at 1ohm, worst case scenerio baterry wise at 10volts they will still do around 1000watts till the amp cuts off. Anyway then highs wise there are several paths, its really up to what you fancy ive heard a set of cheap pioneer coaxels with a rockford t600-2 per speaker(gains vertually all the way down, if any) and even with the crappy coaxels rated at 75 watts peak they still did rather decent. But ill allocate in this mock equation $200 for highs. And id probably use a t600-2 or a t600-4 for the highs this should be plenty for 4 speakers which runs about $480. Ok the sub total is now $1660, wiring if you run double alt gauge from the front battery to the back one and then to the amp is roughly 20 ft but ill say 23 to be safe and at roughly $3 per foot thats $69, and you need both positive and negative so $138 all together. An anl fuse block behind the front battery which is $12 with a $3 150amp fuse. Then two 20ft rca cables $20 a piece, 20ft remote wire roughly $6, roughly five alt gauge battery ring terminals which is about $15. 10ft 8 guage speaker wire for the subs( a t2 will withstand two 8 gauge stands going into each coil) which is around $10. And of course depending on where you mount your highs amp is related to how much wire you would need but ill assume you put it in the trunk as well. So if you were to need two sets of speaker wire then thats 40ft of 12 guage(16 gauge will work too) which is roughly $30. And last but not least 4 gauge power wire for the highs amp which if next to the back battery is 5 ft positive 5 ft negative so 10ft at $1.50 per foot so $15. I dont think ive forgotten anything but if i have i do apologize it is 3:05 am here and im a bit tired. So now the total comes to $1,929 for everything and i do insist that this setup will dominate most. I dont think installing is all that hard myself and so for me this would be the total but if you have to get help then the total will go up but the point that i guess im trying to make is that rockford makes some pretty nice stuff that can still be affordable to the average guy. I hope someone gets something out of this. Good luck to ya regardless of your path.

terrible FUCKINN advice IN EVERY WAY

well im glad you liked it.
take ur stupid asss advice and
GTFO.png

look all sarcasm aside im sorry if you thought it was wrong please feel free to correct it sentance by sentance or even throw it out as a whole i dont wont to offend you and i assume from your earlier comment that you either own a shop or do installs so you have more experiance than me by far. but the kid was asking for advice and no one elaborated on how bad the estimates were that he put up so i thought id try to help. sorry my advise was wrong but at least accurate.

Pilchild, you will get destroyed on this site if you keep on giving out advice. That's as nice as I'll be about it. I HIGHLY suggest you stick around and listen in on conversations, you have so much to learn here...

look all sarcasm aside im sorry if you thought it was wrong please feel free to correct it sentance by sentance or even throw it out as a whole i dont wont to offend you and i assume from your earlier comment that you either own a shop or do installs so you have more experiance than me by far. but the kid was asking for advice and no one elaborated on how bad the estimates were that he put up so i thought id try to help. sorry my advise was wrong but at least accurate.
my first post in this thread was talking about how we could build him a better system for less.....ur coming in here with the typical shop attitude an giving 2 thousand dollar estimates....**** for half that we can put together a system what will blow the one u suggested away

your right the mark up is really high. but some shops will cut you a great deal depending on how much you buy at once and how persuasive you can be, haggle a little. ok i dont know much about the stock deck but im pretty sure there are integration devices out there. If it were me id go with a single t2 12" which is about $530 at a good shop, i would also purchase a $100 autocraft battery from advanced auto which has a reserve around 180min. and put it in the back beside the single 12 box which i will asuume costs $100. Then id try my best to get a hold of one of the old rockford power elite t10001bd amps for the sub(you can still find these online)which is around $250 used and they will put out a true 1500 watts at 1ohm, worst case scenerio baterry wise at 10volts they will still do around 1000watts till the amp cuts off. anyway then highs wise there are several paths, its really up to what you fancy ive heard a set of cheap pioneer coaxels with a rockford t600-2 per speaker(gains vertually all the way down, if any) and even with the crappy coaxels rated at 75 watts peak they still did rather decent. but ill allocate in this mock equation $200 for highs. and id probably use a t600-2 or a t600-4 for the highs this should be plenty for 4 speakers which runs about $480. ok the sub total is now $1660, wiring if you run double alt gauge from the front battery to the back one and then to the amp is roughly 20 ft but ill say 23 to be safe and at roughly $3 per foot thats $69, and you need both positive and negative so $138 all together. an ANL fuse block behind the front battery which is $12 with a $3 150amp fuse. then two 20ft RCA cables $20 a piece, 20ft remote wire roughly $6, roughly five alt gauge battery ring terminals which is about $15. 10ft 8 guage speaker wire for the subs( a t2 will withstand two 8 gauge stands going into each coil) which is around $10. and of course depending on where you mount your highs amp is related to how much wire you would need but ill assume you put it in the trunk as well. so if you were to need two sets of speaker wire then thats 40ft of 12 guage(16 gauge will work too) which is roughly $30. and last but not least 4 gauge power wire for the highs amp which if next to the back battery is 5 ft positive 5 ft negative so 10ft at $1.50 per foot so $15. i dont think ive forgotten anything but if i have i do apologize it is 3:05 AM here and im a bit tired. so now the total comes to $1,929 for everything and i do insist that this setup will dominate most. I dont think installing is all that hard myself and so for me this would be the total but if you have to get help then the total will go up but the point that i guess im trying to make is that rockford makes some pretty nice stuff that can still be affordable to the average guy. I hope someone gets something out of this. good luck to ya regardless of your path.
no such amp exists. there is the RF power series , and MTX thunder ELITE. LOL.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.