2000 VW Jetta HU Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

Skorpyo

I just got a 2000 VW Jetta and I really like the audio system in it, except that it doesn't have a CD player...AM/FM Casette only, but it is the Monsoon system (don't have any clue what that means) so I guess it's got a cd changer controller, though there isn't a changer in the vehicle.

Now Questions:

I've got a pioneer 50w/channel headunit that I'd like to put in so...

1. Will removing the stock unit affect the vehicle? I have no idea if VW (like BMW or Mercedes) has wired a lot of things through the HU.

2. What is the monsoon audio system, and will it create issues with using the Pioneer unit?

3. Should I not remove the stock HU because it is "so good" and if so why?

TIA

Skorpyo

If it was mine I would stay with stock stuff, hear me out . . . first off you have the controls on your steering wheel that will not work with aftermarket decks. Then with all red dash lights the colors will look like crap.

There are two available CD players for your car, the indash takes the little cubbyhole between the stereo and the drink holder, or the changer that fits in a spot in the trunk (drivers side, behind the wheelwell) The best part is you can have one or both! Installation is a plug, really one plug that is already in the dash. You pop the cubby hole out, plug in the player, then pop it into the dash, done. The changer just plug in and put it into the holder in the back.

The monsoon systems in these cars rock! You will be very happy with the CD player addition, check on ebay or in VWVortex - http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=99 to find a deal, the dealer is the last resort.

You can add the Pioneer if you wish, the amp for the Monsoon works with it.

Some shops can also tap the amp inputs so you can run a sub with the system. Other than that I wouldn't mess with replacing components, they are almost perfect they way they are.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.