2000 Subaru Legacy B4

Looks good them subs are purty
Thanks. Wanted to mount them inverted once I seen em but they wouldn't have fit.

I was eyeing a couple 3.5k's around here but got no cash now. Throwout bearing is squealing like a bish //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Got some plans in my head that involve those new Z v.4's once they come out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nerd.gif.c6fa51ddf7ff75f1c0371fbc648f70ae.gif

I just turned my box around, now forward firing. Below 45Hz, it seems louder to my ear. Above 50Hz though, it's not as loud. Before when it was rear-firing, about 50-70Hz would just barely start to tickle and grab my throat (anyone know about what dB this happens at?). I am not getting that sensation at all now with it forward firing. Although it's not as loud in the higher sub frequencies, it does blend better with the system overall. Anyone going for SQ should definitely try turning their box around to see how they like it.

Just wanted to give a quick update, maybe this will help some people. Will be tearing everything out tomorrow, as I am preparing to sell this car and move back to the states.

Yo Gekless, you're in Japan right? How is the scene over there for car audio? How do people react to hearing it/ seeing it? Is it like it is back in the states? Just always wondered about stuff like that. You know, how different countries/ cultures compare to home.

Yo Gekless, you're in Japan right? How is the scene over there for car audio? How do people react to hearing it/ seeing it? Is it like it is back in the states? Just always wondered about stuff like that. You know, how different countries/ cultures compare to home.
I'm in Okinawa, and it's not that big. I haven't really found too many guys, there's only 2 shops here that I know of, and the one is a joke. They do some good install work here, but don't take it to the level we do with comps and stuff. Might be different up in mainland, but here it's more for show than for actually sounding good in my experience.

I figured it would be bigger in OKI with all the active duty guys there and relatively small size of the island.

How's the hobby shops there? They just shut one of ours down. Now there's only one on the whole island, and it's 24 miles away on a different base on the other side of the island.

I figured it would be bigger in OKI with all the active duty guys there and relatively small size of the island.
How's the hobby shops there? They just shut one of ours down. Now there's only one on the whole island, and it's 24 miles away on a different base on the other side of the island.
The hobby shop aren't bad man, honestly I haven't done a whole lot of mechanical work to need one, but the one here on Kadena is like 8 bays, and there's a bigger one on an Army camp. Seems like you do all your own work, but if you want something done, the japanese guys here know their cars and aren't too expensive. I got a clutch swapped out for like $500.

500?! Was that including the clutch or just for the work?

I've been trying to get stationed out there for years. There' only four of us coasties out there though, so It's a fierce battle to get one of those positions. Closest I could get was Guam. So now I have to take leave to get there.

Oh, I aslo saw three computer fans in one of your photos. Did you install them on your amp rack or something?

500?! Was that including the clutch or just for the work?
I've been trying to get stationed out there for years. There' only four of us coasties out there though, so It's a fierce battle to get one of those positions. Closest I could get was Guam. So now I have to take leave to get there.

Oh, I aslo saw three computer fans in one of your photos. Did you install them on your amp rack or something?
$500 for just work. I ordered the clutch from amazon, just an OEM Exedy. They quoted $2k for clutch and work. Japan can be expensive :/

Everyone that I know that has been to Guam has loved it. Been trying to get a TDY there for a while.

The 3 pieces on the side are 80mm filters. I have 2 120mm fans underneath each amp, with a switch mounted on the amp rack to turn them on and off. Here's a picture I took today when I flipped the box:

DSC_4118_zpsbf770268.jpg

Man, you weren't kidding when you said you were paranoid about electronics. Not many people would've added the filters. Good call, I like it. Ever think about adding a temp probe/switch? That way they would kick on and off automatically.

Man, you weren't kidding when you said you were paranoid about electronics. Not many people would've added the filters. Good call, I like it. Ever think about adding a temp probe/switch? That way they would kick on and off automatically.
Dude, I work around electronics everyday. Paranoid is an understatement. I even considered trying out a watercooling project. Luckily I thought better of it lol. I did think about the thermostat, but it was about $80 more than a switch, and in the summer it would be hard to find a temperature where it wasn't running all the time, or running at all. Gets real hot in trunks around here, I'm sure you know. So switch works fine, wired it into my relay so it gets power only when the HU is on. When it was hot I had the switch on all the time, now it's off all the time.

And this concludes this build log:

DSC_4124_zpsf425dea3.jpg

Ripped all wiring out, only thing left is to replace the 80PRS with the old HU, and replace the DC 270XP with the old alt. Car will be sold shortly.

Lookin forward to my next build!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.