2-way vs 3-way front stage

Participant count
  • Participant list

fly_marlin

CarAudio.com Elite
Hi all, I'm looking for pros and cons for going 3-way active vs 2-way active. The obvious pro for 3-way is volume and for 2-way is price, simplicity.

What are some other things to consider if doing a 3-way front stage. I do have the PS8, so processing power is not an issue. I have a 2-way setup right now with 6.5" mids.

Additionally, if I do 3-way, I'd get 8" woofers? Where would I cross it as well as the 6.5"? Thanks!

pro- limit bandwidth. greater efficiency. Help with stage height if you are having issues.

con- complexity. Price

If that's the end game, use a 3in wideband up top. Something like 60-220, 220-3k, 3k- up

Unless the vehicle has factory provisions for 3-way speakers up front, you probably have to custom mount at least 1 pair of drivers. I would stick with 6.5" woofers, maybe change to midbass woofers if your doors have the depth to do it, and consider adding a 2" to 3" midrange pair. They don't have to be above the dash to image and stage where we want that to be.

With the DSP and full active control, plus good crossover planning, the only drivers you may want to aim at your ears are the tweeters. This means you won't have to do those big A-pillar pods unless you like the bling factor.

What do you want to get out of your system that your current setup does not do well enough for your liking?

Unless the vehicle has factory provisions for 3-way speakers up front, you probably have to custom mount at least 1 pair of drivers. I would stick with 6.5" woofers, maybe change to midbass woofers if your doors have the depth to do it, and consider adding a 2" to 3" midrange pair. They don't have to be above the dash to image and stage where we want that to be.
With the DSP and full active control, plus good crossover planning, the only drivers you may want to aim at your ears are the tweeters. This means you won't have to do those big A-pillar pods unless you like the bling factor.

What do you want to get out of your system that your current setup does not do well enough for your liking?
I'm not sure how to describe it exactly, but to my ears, there's a "fuller" sound with a 3-way set up. I guess you can say you can be more immersed into the music.

when you delegate drivers to focus on their own work its like specialized units in the army. Much more efficient and better job done when they coordinate together to do the job right. 2 way comps and coaxials are like a Jack of all trades but master of none vs 3 masters of 3 trades with 3 way active.

when you delegate drivers to focus on their own work its like specialized units in the army. Much more efficient and better job done when they coordinate together to do the job right. 2 way comps and coaxials are like a Jack of all trades but master of none vs 3 masters of 3 trades with 3 way active.
I think some 2-way comp sets are actually masters of all.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Forgot to mention, the car did come with shallow subs in the doors - 8" I believe.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.