New install recommendations -- primarily amp and front stage

Thanks all

I ended up with the Morel Maximo Ultra 602 MKII components, and the new Alpine R2-A60F 4ch amp.

Should be a good combo with the sub I already have (300wRMS), as the amp is rated for 100w RMS per channel, and I plan on bridging 3/4 for the sub @ 300w RMS --- all @ 4ohm. Will either disconnect the stock rear's, or run them off the HU. I know the amp seems pricy (for me anyways!), but I really liked all the detail it has in the manual regarding setup and connections -- will def help this newbie out.

Once everything is in, I'll move over to the Amp section if I need help tuning (after researching ofc).

Thanks all

I ended up with the Morel Maximo Ultra 602 MKII components, and the new Alpine R2-A60F 4ch amp.

Should be a good combo with the sub I already have (300wRMS), as the amp is rated for 100w RMS per channel, and I plan on bridging 3/4 for the sub @ 300w RMS --- all @ 4ohm. Will either disconnect the stock rear's, or run them off the HU. I know the amp seems pricy (for me anyways!), but I really liked all the detail it has in the manual regarding setup and connections -- will def help this newbie out.

Once everything is in, I'll move over to the Amp section if I need help tuning (after researching ofc).
Sounds like it should do just fine. let us know how it turns out for you. Im always wanting to hear back from an install.

Sounds like it should do just fine. let us know how it turns out for you. Im always wanting to hear back from an install.
Well, got everything installed, and now its time to tune.

Front stage sounds great, but the sub is really lacking at lower volumes. Will probably move over to the amp or radio section if I cant figure it out....def. driving me crazy though.

Hey all!

I'm currently designing a new system for my 16' WRX (w/o Nav, w/o HK), and could really use some advice on which amp to pair with which front stage components. I have only purchased a new radio, and I was given a barely used 10" Pioneer sub from my brother. I have not had a chance to go into any actual shops, so I've been using Crutchfields "listen to speakers" via my Sennheiser 599's (properly selected) and I've narrowed my front stage down to the Infinity Kappa 603CF's. My concern is that they are rated at 3ohm, and I'm having a tough time finding an amp that puts out good power for both the speakers, and the sub. I'd like to stay with a 5 channel amp, as I do not want to run a PDB to split power for 2 amps, and I'm trying to keep the amp under the front seat, which is kinda tight @ 17x8.5". I plan on running the rear (stock) speakers from the HU.

I guess my confusion stems from the 3ohm load from the speakers -- would I be able to bridge either of the 2 amps below to get more power for them?

As for the front stage, I like the Kappa's, but if there is another suggestion for those, as well, I'm all ears! I've listened (via Crutchfield) to the Focal ISU 165's (sounded bright?) and the new Alpine R2-S65C's (sounded...muddy?). If there is a suggestion, I'd like an in-line crossover, or something compact that doesnt require running new wires to the doors. I see Morel's being suggested over on Reddit, alot....are those worth considering? I think I can fit the crossover's behind the radio.

New radio:
KW Excelon DMX709S

Existing sub:
Pioneer 10" TS-SW2501S4 (300w RMS @ 4ohm)

I've narrowed my amp choices down to the 2 below (unless theres another solid option!):

KW Excelon X802-5

Infinity Reference 7005a

Budget for amp/front stage is $1k or less.

Thanks!
Actually, regardless of which amplifier you go with, if it is rated at 2ohms stable, I'd recommend the NVX VS series components or coaxial. They can be had in 2ohm configurations which will bring the most from any 2ohm stable amp you use - and they sound very good! I'd put them up aginst any $2-$250 pair of speakers all day long.

NVX VSP65KIT2F 750W Peak (250W RMS) 6.5" 2-Ohm V-Series 2-Way Component Speaker System w/ 25mm Silk Dome Tweeters​

For the price of the components at $129.99 (as opposed to the others mentioned here) you could use the difference and get this sub too. THey come in dual 2 or dual 4ohm.

I've been doing this for a LONG time and have used many many different speakers from basic pioneers to high end Focal and morel. These NVX V and X series drivers and the subs are hard to beat at twice the price.

Last edited:
What all the radio systems on a car use coaxial cables to wire the original speakers???? Where are you coming up with that nonsense?? A Coaxial Cable can be a RG6 cable and also RCA's. RCA's obviously for amplifiers. Manufacturers run speaker wiring to OEM speakers with whatever they use for the OEM plug in. Which yes is different from each manufacturer.

Been doing this 30+ years and never seen a single coaxial cable in any vehicle I've worked on when installing car audio including newer vehicles like the neighbors 2020 ford truck and neighbors 2015 Nissans. For other things yeah possibly like maybe a DVD player in the headrests or tv in them.

Good grief!

Last edited:
Well, got everything installed, and now its time to tune.

Front stage sounds great, but the sub is really lacking at lower volumes. Will probably move over to the amp or radio section if I cant figure it out....def. driving me crazy though.
Sounds like your front stage is overpowering your sub stage/ Weak sub stage. Is this a 4dr. Sedan or a Hatchback WRX? Where do you have the sub located now? And what type of enclosure is it in? Ported/Tuned, or Sealed? Dimensions for the enclosure?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...