New install recommendations -- primarily amp and front stage

mgk645

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey all!

I'm currently designing a new system for my 16' WRX (w/o Nav, w/o HK), and could really use some advice on which amp to pair with which front stage components. I have only purchased a new radio, and I was given a barely used 10" Pioneer sub from my brother. I have not had a chance to go into any actual shops, so I've been using Crutchfields "listen to speakers" via my Sennheiser 599's (properly selected) and I've narrowed my front stage down to the Infinity Kappa 603CF's. My concern is that they are rated at 3ohm, and I'm having a tough time finding an amp that puts out good power for both the speakers, and the sub. I'd like to stay with a 5 channel amp, as I do not want to run a PDB to split power for 2 amps, and I'm trying to keep the amp under the front seat, which is kinda tight @ 17x8.5". I plan on running the rear (stock) speakers from the HU.

I guess my confusion stems from the 3ohm load from the speakers -- would I be able to bridge either of the 2 amps below to get more power for them?

As for the front stage, I like the Kappa's, but if there is another suggestion for those, as well, I'm all ears! I've listened (via Crutchfield) to the Focal ISU 165's (sounded bright?) and the new Alpine R2-S65C's (sounded...muddy?). If there is a suggestion, I'd like an in-line crossover, or something compact that doesnt require running new wires to the doors. I see Morel's being suggested over on Reddit, alot....are those worth considering? I think I can fit the crossover's behind the radio.

New radio:
KW Excelon DMX709S

Existing sub:
Pioneer 10" TS-SW2501S4 (300w RMS @ 4ohm)

I've narrowed my amp choices down to the 2 below (unless theres another solid option!):

KW Excelon X802-5

Infinity Reference 7005a

Budget for amp/front stage is $1k or less.

Thanks!

If you do not place an amp on the rears. This amp will work for the sub you have and Id recommend Polk Audio MM series components

Amazon product ASIN B071G8K9SK

I would guess 90+% of non subwoofer speakers are 4 ohm. If you find something that is 3 ohm, or 2.7 ohm, my guess is its designed to be a direct replacement for a factory speaker when keeping a factory amplifier, (those are usually a funky ohm rating like that). I see those speakers are 110w RMS @ 3ohm. You can get 3 ohm speakers, and any amp that is rated at 2 ohm will also play that, but those two 5ch amps you listed won't do it. You would need to either find a different amp or different speakers. I'm suggesting you get different options on both. You can do 3 ohm, but if you're newer, its just going to be easier for you to match up RMS @ 4 ohms for speakers and amp.

I always suggest this sale page. If crutchfield is #1, this would be in my top 5, and probably my #2.
Here are four from that link: All of these are great options, and have good deals on em.

I would really suggest against a 5ch amp. It's just really hard to find one that is the right wattage for a front stage and a sub, plus what if you want to change your subwoofer, or add a second one, then you need a new 5 ch amp. If you split them up, you can just look around for a sub amp. The price is going to be about the same for a 2 or 4ch amp, and a small mono sub amp, for what you would spend on a 5ch amp. Not sure why you think you need a splitter, that head unit has 6 ch preamp, (front, rear and subwoofer).

There are some really small powerful amps out there. This is a cerwin vega b52 amp. It is less than 1.5" in height, and this is a 150w x 2 @ 4ohms RMS, or 500w x 1 @ 4 ohms RMS. This thing will hide in or behind a glove box, under a panel, under a seat, etc.... You could fit 3 of these in that space you mentioned, and could probably fit 6 of em if you stacked em.
Cerwin.jpg

That sub doesn't need 500 watts, and if you are going to spend $400 on a set of components, get some that you will put more than 50 watts into.

All the speakers you listed are good, I just wouldn't get a set that are 3 ohm just to make it easier on yourself, for now, and possible future amp changes.. Morels are great speakers too, can't go wrong with em.

Last edited:
The listening app on the crutchfield site is interesting, but doesn’t really tell the whole story. It simulates what the speakers would sound like in a sound board, but not what they would sound like in your car. With the sound adjustments available in your head unit, any speaker that has been recommended so far in this thread should be able to sound good in your car.

I would just use a 4 channel amplifier. Bridge the rear channels for the subwoofer and run the front speakers off the other channels.

Id use the 4 ch I recommended for the sub you have now bridging chs 3&4 for sub duty @4ohms and using Chs 1&2 for front stage on a set of components. keep rear speakers off HU power and add a bass blocker or eliminate them all together for now. In the Future, you will have all the power you need with the 4 ch recommended and if upgrading the sub stage, simply purchase a 1-2k amp and the sub of choice and keep the 4 ch rolling.

I appreciate the suggestions all!

Since I am new to all this (IT background), I think its a solid plan to ignore the odd-ohm components, and look at something more standard. I never really heard of CT Sounds -- is that an in-house brand similar to Crutchfields SoundOrdinance? It seems the CT equipment packs a punch at a low cost -- how is there support/reliability?

For those Focal components, is that an older model, or something built for Woofers specifically? I dont really see it anywhere else (not opposed to buying from Woofers, just asking). These look similar, but have adjustment for the crossovers -- https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091165AS/Focal-Performance-165AS.html

Would either of those be a worthy upgrade over Morel Maximo 6's (including Ultra)?

Regarding the splitter -- sorry for the confusion, I was talking about splitting the power wire for 2 amps with a distribution block. Wire size was confusing me if I had to split, so I was looking at a 5ch for simplicity, but I think I may either run a 4ch and bridge 2 channels, or simply bite the bullet and run 2 amps.

If I went with the Focal components, it looks like this amp would be a good match, or if I went with Morel's, I could bridge the channels and still be good on RMS power? I've read that its a great amp at the price point, and its overbuilt.

I would then get a mono amp for the sub only -- was looking at this one:

Either way, I will be keeping stock rear** speakers on HU power for now (if I dont just unplug them).

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't think I knew much of CT sounds before this, but if you search around on here, they are highly recommended. (i.e. If you search google it will probably tell you hondas are great cars. If you search car racing sites, it will tell you Porsches are great cars. I'd count reviews on here, worth about 100 or more google reviews).

I am pretty certain the focals would just be an older model, and they dropped the price to get rid of their stock. I know on focal's site, you can find the older models listed.

Last edited:
I appreciate the suggestions all!

Since I am new to all this (IT background), I think its a solid plan to ignore the odd-ohm components, and look at something more standard. I never really heard of CT Sounds -- is that an in-house brand similar to Crutchfields SoundOrdinance? It seems the CT equipment packs a punch at a low cost -- how is there support/reliability?

For those Focal components, is that an older model, or something built for Woofers specifically? I dont really see it anywhere else (not opposed to buying from Woofers, just asking). These look similar, but have adjustment for the crossovers -- https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091165AS/Focal-Performance-165AS.html

Would either of those be a worthy upgrade over Morel Maximo 6's (including Ultra)?

Regarding the splitter -- sorry for the confusion, I was talking about splitting the power wire for 2 amps with a distribution block. Wire size was confusing me if I had to split, so I was looking at a 5ch for simplicity, but I think I may either run a 4ch and bridge 2 channels, or simply bite the bullet and run 2 amps.

If I went with the Focal components, it looks like this amp would be a good match, or if I went with Morel's, I could bridge the channels and still be good on RMS power? I've read that its a great amp at the price point, and its overbuilt.

I would then get a mono amp for the sub only -- was looking at this one:

Either way, I will be keeping stock rear** speakers on HU power for now (if I dont just unplug them).

Thanks!
CT Sounds used to be Audio Technix. They have come around past couple of years from some bad ownership of which that individual has passed away and new ownership has taken place and new inhouse tactics. I run the 150.4, and one of 2 2ks atm and have been excellent with no issues thus far.Shipping was excellent.Product looks great and all perform very well for the $ from my experiences. Customer service is excellent thus far for me. Kurt will usually email you back within 24 hrs even after hours at times and answers all your questions and is quit knowledgeable as well. My first shipment was delayed due to the carrier for approx 3 days out, and to make peace with my first purchase and keeping me happy , they sent me a set of 6.5 Bio Mids for the delay.After that, all my shipments have been excellent no issues. For my temp set up until I finish out a Wall set up. I am running the CT Sounds 150.4 on a set of Polk DB 6.5 Coax, and a set of hertz 165k and a set of CDTDRT25 tweets, and a pair of Sound Qubed HDS310s in 4.0@32 HTZ on the CT Sounds 2k, and will be adding my CT Sounds EQ soon (When I get off my azz and install it) with my Alpine CDA9835 with a Kicker KQ9 EQ atm. Sounds fine and does fine for me at the moment. I used to a much larger system.

I still have an older 12" that still performs very nice when I run it in a ported enclosure on approx 5-600 rms clean.

Attachments

• 20211007_155510 (1).jpg
    20211007_155510 (1).jpg
    465 KB · Views: 13
I would take a look at CDT HD series speakers as well. Ive enjoyed them and still do. They will be going back in my next install when Ive found the time to do so. Polk MM series are some dammned good speakers for the money as well. I have two sets and 4 sets of the DB and DB coax. All sound fantastic with power. They will dig a little lower than most speakers do giving you a little bass response up front and sound really clean in the mid and tweet areas as well. Great speakers for the $

I have had a few sets of the CL series of CDT, and I did not like them as much as the HD series. Id recommend the HD series over the CL all day long. The Upstage system is awesome. I really like some of the Xovers,they have that you can run 2 or 3 way using the same passives

I would recommend the CDT HD 3way system rather than the CL series if you choose to go with a CDT 3 way system. I would also look at the Upstage system as well thats really nice and sounds amazing

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...