1st Time Install, RCA question

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have just bought a alpine Cda 9813 Head unit for my car. I intend to run two amplifiers, one 4 channel and a sub amp. My question is how to wire all this. I have never wired in an amp to any car, and i am trying to learn. Do just the RCA's from the HU go to the Amps or do the speaker wire outputs also go. I am having a hard time understanding a little of the wiring because i am unsure as to how i should be able to run 6x9 deck speakers components, and then subs off of just 4 channells. I hope some of you experts take the time to respond to my questions, because i am trying to learn without a lot of money, and i can't afford to have someone install things for me and then for me to check them out once its done. Thanks alot. Hope i can get a response soon.

Dave Casale

Wiring up an amp isn't as tricky as people think it is. Since you said you are going to have 2 amps, one for subs and one for speakers, the wiring should be pretty straight forward. For the sub amp, just run a set of RCA wires from the sub output on your head unit to the amp and run the power, ground, and remote wire(the remote wire hooks up to the head unit also, there should be a blue wire with a white line on it that says"remote" or "accesory". For the 4 channel amp, you have to run two sets of RCA's, one on the front set of RCA outputs and a 2nd on the rear set. Then do the same as the sub amp, run the power, ground, and remote wires. If you need more help or a diagram just let me know.

yea thats what i figured. I was just a little unsure of what the purpose of the RCA's was for, because no one i know has a high class stereo system, and most have done speaker level inputs. Thanks for the advice. I can't wait till my player comes so i can get started with my new project.

yea thats what i figured. I was just a little unsure of what the purpose of the RCA's was for, because no one i know has a high class stereo system, and most have done speaker level inputs. Thanks for the advice. I can't wait till my player comes so i can get started with my new project.
No problem. Yeah, most of the time when people use speaker level inputs is when they are using a stock deck or don't have enough preouts to run all of their amps. Everything is pretty straightforward, just remember, disconnect the negative from the battery before you start!

dude use Y adapters for rcas. that way u don't have to run 2 rca cables.

the Y adapter lets u run 1 rca cable to the back, and then splits ur rca into 2 cables for both amps. costs about 5 bucks.

dude use Y adapters for rcas. that way u don't have to run 2 rca cables.
the Y adapter lets u run 1 rca cable to the back, and then splits ur rca into 2 cables for both amps. costs about 5 bucks.
That would work, but the only problem is he is running a 4 channel amp AND a sub amp. He's going to have to run at least 2 sets, one for the 4 channel(which'll use the y-splitters) and another set for the sub. It wouldn't make sense to split one RCA 3 ways.

One question though. Wouldn't splitting out the RCA cables with Y's take away from the quality of sound and also from the stereo imaging. If i am going through all this trouble i can't fathom saving 50 or 100 dollars for diminished sound quality. Plus i consider cables one of the most important parts of a sound system and am willing to sacrifice some money to buy better cables. Thanks for the info

Dave C.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.