illumination wire or dimmer wire?

-=BD=-gEIGH
10+ year member

The wiring harness that goes w/ my car has an orange wire that says "illumination/dash light" on it, and an orange wire w/ a white stripe that says "dimmer." The harness that came w/ my head unit, however, has only an orange wire w/ a white stripe and it is labeled as "Illumination - to car light control switch." Should I hook this wire up to the one labeled illumination that is solid orange? or should I hook it up to the one labeled dimmer that is orange/white?

Thx in advance!

do u have a multimeter? i beleive these two wires should be getting a 12v charge, switched with ignition.. you can test and see.. otherwise, ide hook it up to illumation, because thats basically wat it says, but im almost positive they are like the same..

So if I hook it up to the illumination wire will it brighten when I turn the interior lights on? or if I hook it up to the dimmer will it dim when the headlights are on? it's a JVC unit.

Thx for the help again.

I would guess that illumination comes on steady when you turn on the parking lights or headlights, and the dimmer wire comes from the dimmer rheostat in your dash. Basically the same except the dimmer one can be adjusted with the car's dash ligyhts.

I would guess that illumination comes on steady when you turn on the parking lights or headlights, and the dimmer wire comes from the dimmer rheostat in your dash. Basically the same except the dimmer one can be adjusted with the car's dash ligyhts.
yeh, i wonder if it would actually affect the brightness of the HU? I would guess no.. not sure wat kinda voltage stretch there is between the really dim setting to the high setting..

I didn't hook mine up or on friends' decks that I installed. I'd rather the deck not change it's brightness.

But yeah, connect to dimmer if you wanna be able to adjust it along with your instrument panels.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.