1999 Chevrolet Blazer

15-80Hz sweep. Pay attention to the top blue lines, those were the peaks, not the red bars.

Sealed, at headrest:

Driver's door open, in passenger kick:

Knew I heard that rolloff. Seems to fall flat above 43Hz or so, probably a product of small enclosure and vehicle.

Also still trying to learn the limits. Was playing decaf pretty decently at full tilt for about a minute at a time, then put on a couple tracks I have verified clean in Audacity that are **** loud and started smelling coil. Cap was hot. I'm even at -1 on the sub level (set gain at 0). Talking with Murphy and TFade, might be low electrical even though I was above 13.8V the whole time, might also be the small box. Could be fighting with box resonance.

So it's known that Tantric subs have a certain smell. Ok, I could look past that, IF my coil wasn't also heating up. Something is wrong here, and pretty **** sure it's past the speaker wires going to the box.

Idea right now is that the high moving mass, in combination with my small box and proximity to the roof, isn't allowing the coil to cool properly. Murphy has offered to build me a drop-in with one less spider and simply swap it out with the one I have, which is pretty awesome. I told him to wait, I'm still thinking about a C pillar wall. Have to measure and see what I can do. Don't have the spare cash to move the amps/batteries/etc to the back right now, so amp rack has to stay, which means it might not work yet. The amp rack is basically as far back as the seats though, so I would have had to clear that anyway, so I think I have to work around that regardless.

Did this today. Didn't have the USACi CD or any tones for that matter, so just played that same song that was heating up the coil before. Pretty sure it's right at or **** near my peak anyway:

This is what it was with the sub level at -2 (where the coil doesn't get super hot):

Wow man! Excellent build here. I read the whole thread and loved the PR idea it's too bad it didn't work out the way you wanted. What is the rms on the tantric?

Wow man! Excellent build here. I read the whole thread and loved the PR idea it's too bad it didn't work out the way you wanted. What is the rms on the tantric?
Thanks! The SHD is rated at 5kW RMS.

Going to build a sealed box mid-January if this bish don't sell. Should get pretty close to the same curve on it actually.

Might be looking for a new vehicle soon though, and it won't be anything that will fit this thing.

Got the first baffle on. You'll also notice I added more bracing to the bottom. I looked at my last picture and went "how could I forget to brace the largest face?"

Then the top baffle. Screwed from bottom. No visible screws on this, so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go ahead with full stain.

Had some Acousta-Stuf laying around, and also picked up the fiberglass. Don't know how much it is, but I'm gonna toss it in and see what happens.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.