18" sub 6cu ft @ 33hz or 4.5-5 cu ft @ 30hz

Participant count
  • Participant list

grimreper912003
5,000+ posts

<- getting a jAy eL 21W8
WI
Im building a box for my MJ-18 tonight and need some advice. I posted awhile back and got mixed reviews. I changed my port to come to about 110 sq in of port area but want help on the other aspects. Should I build it at 6cu ft @ 33hz (or 30hz) or rashadd suggested going down to 4.5 cu ft with alot of port. It will get about 600-650w RMS (og. MJ-18 not the MJ18M) I'm looking for a possible small hair trick and do well on rap and country. (Wierd mix huh?) Sometimes I listen to rock

I'd go ~5cu.ft with 35-36hz tuning if you want it to play rock, country and rap.
Primarly rap though. I like listening to mindless music with good beats while I drive. Still tune high?

I have a MJ-18 6 cu. ft. tuned to 32Hz. I love the way it sounds on all types of music, except country because I'm not with it. hair trick is gonna be hard w/ only 600 watts.

Primarly rap though. I like listening to mindless music with good beats while I drive. Still tune high?

I would stay in the 32-34 Hz range. More in the 32 range, but you will gain a little bit of loudness up to 34

I have a MJ-18 6 cu. ft. tuned to 32Hz. I love the way it sounds on all types of music, except country because I'm not with it. hair trick is gonna be hard w/ only 600 watts.
I dont expect a hurricane but a little bit of movement. I imagine it can be done in a 2dr tahoe with the right situation.

How did the MJs compare to idk...a BTL? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif lol jk

35-36hz is not high or low, just a compromise. i love lows, my daily is tuned to 30hz, but its a 4th order (sealed rear chambers) bandpass. I get great response from ~30-~60hz, The sealed chambers help make up for the low tuning and it has a overall clean sound for a bandpass IMO.

35-36hz is not high or low, just a compromise. i love lows, my daily is tuned to 30hz, but its a 4th order (sealed rear chambers) bandpass. I get great response from ~30-~60hz, The sealed chambers help make up for the low tuning and it has a overall clean sound for a bandpass IMO.
38 and up is high to me so I guess its not that high. I had 2 Sundown 8's at 33hz and it didnt pick up as low as i'd like. More of tuning or cone area situation do you think?

38 and up is high to me so I guess its not that high. I had 2 Sundown 8's at 33hz and it didnt pick up as low as i'd like. More of tuning or cone area situation do you think?
Probably a little of both, i've had better luck when i built downfire boxes with 8s myself.

Try it low and if you don't like it, shorten the port;).

I dont expect a hurricane but a little bit of movement. I imagine it can be done in a 2dr tahoe with the right situation.
How did the MJs compare to idk...a BTL? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif lol jk

If the box is done correct, you may get a little bit a moving goin. I have a 4 door tahoe and it does nice. Smacks the lows. I have another one sitting in the living room and I'm trying to decide if I should just add it, or do something like 4 12s.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.