12" Type R... which one of these boxes would you recommend

godisanatheist
10+ year member

canada
swr - 1222d sub, the old type r. i have two options, if i dont wanna spend extra to get a custom box made..

1) small, high tuned ported box. 1.2 cu ft. is the size (before the displacement from the sub). it has a small aero port, tuning is in the mid 40's.

2) large sealed box. 1.4 cu ft. (before displacement)

huge difference yes, worth $250 no, heck there are box builders on here and pretty sure your goig to be less that $150 prob more like $100 for a great box

dont you have any friends/family that has a table saw??

a custom ported will give you amazing output and some damn sexy lows

250+ for a box? you can get one way cheaper from someone on here

The new Type R's LOVE low tuned ported boxes. Anywhere from 30-34hrz. I had two of the new Type R's in a box that I custom built at 32hz. In my experience with them, if you can't tune them in that range, you are just punishing yourself and the subwoofer. One of my favorite subwoofers I have ever had, especially for the price.

$250 for a custom ported box is a bit much. If you cant build it, which is what everyone is going to tell you here on the board, their audiophiles, what do you expect, then try to find one on craigslist, ebay, or something. If you are in a car, it should be pretty easy to build a rectangular box. Try the Resonant Engineering Box Calculator. Type in your dimensions in the red, tweak it to your liking, cut to spec. RE Enclosure Calculator

man. I could build you a killer box and ship it out to you. I'm saying, tuned to 32hz, 2.5 cubes, countersunk, $150
^^^^^^^^^^I'd jump all over this bro if you can't build your own box and don't want to learn how to build boxes. 32hz sounded good with mine and 2.5cu ft will be great. Most of the guys on the board will build you better boxes than someone who was hired by a car stereo for their woodworking more so than their car audio knowledge.

Im in Canada, local shops have the price of $250+

I'm going to find a local builder who can do it cheaper.

Just wanna point out that this isnt the new one. It's the 2nd gen. swr-1222d

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.