700 watts, now what subs?

thatdude69
10+ year member

WV
I am currenty running two old Punch P2 200 watt rms 12 inch subs off of a Punch P500-1bd amp. The amp is rated to give 701 watts at 1 ohm. The subs are in an audio enhancers prefab ported box. I have a Sony XAV-60 touchscreen HU.

I want to step up the subs because the RFs are currently pulling just over 400 watts. JL 12W3v3-2 subs were recommended to me by a shop, but idk how much spl I'll be able to get out of those having researched them. I've been researching a lot, and am open to any suggestions except replacing my amp.

I want "loud" (spl) more than I do sq, and I want that low end frequency response I can get by putting these RFs in a sealed box. I can get a little windshield flex with these subs, so something that can really move some air would be preferable. I'd also like to stick with two 12s. Sealed or ported, just want the low lows. Thanks!

Around $200 per sub. It's also going in a Honda pilot, so box size isn't a real issue. This is my first system, so I'm just looking for a set up.

What if I can get two 12W3v3 2 ohm subs for about $175 total?

They're new...have a friend who bought some but hasn't even used em and doest want em.

So due to low power, a single 12 or 15 would provide more spl regardless of less cone area?
Efficiency and proper enclosure will play a large part. A 15 has an SA of 177, 2 12's have an SA of 226. With 2 12's I'd lean towards SSA Dcons, possibly Fi X's or the IA 187.

With a single woofer, the options open up some more.

The thing with car audio, is that there is no ONE way to accomplish your goal. There are always more options than you can think of.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.