10" vs 12" sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

d_sinsley

Idaho
Ok I am a newbie, well not really but its been to long. I am building a Sub/amp package for my daughters car. First the parameters. The car needs a complete upgrade of the entire sound system so money on this is a big issue. We are starting with a basic system that will sound good and if she desires allows for upgrades over time. Space is also an issue. One major design consideration is that she/I want to use a 1/2" plexiglass front on the box and put purple lighting effects in the box.She listens to a wide variety of music only some of which is bass intensive. She thinks the basic stock system in my HHR with no sub and four 6.75's sounds great. So this will be an entry level system. I have in the past been a Rockford Fosgate fan.

So Here is the deal. I am looking at the Prime series subs and trying to determine between a 10" 4ohm or a 12" 4 ohm. I have an amp (4 OHM when bridged) already that puts out 140W RMS and 300 W max which is right in these subs wheelhouse. Both fit in very small sealed enclosures. I have a little room to work with but .75 ft3 fits nicely and is perfect for both subs. I think she will prefer the flatter response of a sealed box and will get enough bump to make her happy. The question is this, how much real world difference in bass and volume is there between the two especially in a sealed box? Per Fosgate, fs for the 10 is 24Hz and for the 12 is 22Hz. Spl for the 10 is 86 and for the 12 is 87. I know what each of these numbers mean on paper but not to real world sound. Being that these subs are being driven with very modest power sources it seems to me that they are near equivalent. The ten allows for a more visually appealing look providing more free space to see into the box and the purple lighting that she wants. However a 12 will work and if it is going to give me a much bigger sound then would rather go that route. But if they are near equals in the real world the 10 would be the choice.

thanks for your help.

If you don't use that whatever kind of amp you got, go with a rockford fosgate prime r500 about a 100 bucks new, and go 12's... I like those prime amps as a budget amp, they get warm but preform very nice.... Never tried the prime subs though so i'm in the dark on that one!!!

The 12s Ofcoarse are going to be louder you are doubling cone area and like you said room to upgrade idk about these specific subs power ratings and what not but you can always go louder by getting a bigger amp i would suggest looking at sundown audio e series subs or other companies you will get more output for the same price but first and foremost get a bigger amp... That's my. 02

If you're looking for flat response across as wide a frequency range as possible, put the tens in the size box you would have put the 12s. If you daughter likes a factory sound system that's got no subs, then obviously, it's the frequency response she likes and not the bass... since there is little to none. :)

I will clarify a bit. I have an older sony xplod amp that is 140 RMS 300 Max. The power rating of the speakers is for between 40W and 150W RMS 300 Max. I like the suggestion of the Fosgate amp upgrade. one of the prime amps does 250W@2 ohms and I could pair that with their 2ohm prime speaker rated at 250W RMS and 500W peak in the same enclosure. Speaker cost is a push and the amp is 100 bucks. This is an option and a good one. I think you all helped me decide on the 12. Was starting to lean that way anyway. The beauty of it is that both the 12's the 4 ohm and the 2 ohm take the same size sealed enclosure. Avoiding the ported box simply because of size constraints and the fact that she likes a wider range of sound instead of just thump. I realize tuned ported boxes do wonders but all things considered a decent sealed box is small, provides fuller sound, and is easy to construct, comparatively. If she decides down the road she wants something different then we can re visit it.

I can model a ported enclosure that will be as flat as any sealed box and will reach way further into the sub bass region than any sealed box. And slot ports are easy to build... especially if you have the skill to build a plexi covered amp rack with a light show in it. ;-)

And just as an FYI, I wouldn't bother with the "Max" or "Peak" claims on any manufacturer's product. You can burp a 1000 watt woofer with 20,000 watts and not kill it. But that doesn't mean it's a 20,000 watt max speaker. Just stick with the real world rating that is RMS... everything else is useless marketing speak.

i will clarify a bit. I have an older sony xplod amp that is 140 rms 300 max. The power rating of the speakers is for between 40w and 150w rms 300 max. I like the suggestion of the fosgate amp upgrade. One of the prime amps does 250w@2 ohms and i could pair that with their 2ohm prime speaker rated at 250w rms and 500w peak in the same enclosure. Speaker cost is a push and the amp is 100 bucks. This is an option and a good one. I think you all helped me decide on the 12. Was starting to lean that way anyway. The beauty of it is that both the 12's the 4 ohm and the 2 ohm take the same size sealed enclosure. Avoiding the ported box simply because of size constraints and the fact that she likes a wider range of sound instead of just thump. I realize tuned ported boxes do wonders but all things considered a decent sealed box is small, provides fuller sound, and is easy to construct, comparatively. If she decides down the road she wants something different then we can re visit it.
that prime does rated too... Mine was 554 @ 2ohms..

Big thanks to Brandon aka bbeljefe at Audio Anarchy for the great design help. With his help and direction I look forward to this build. He helped me come up with a design for a 10" that will be fun for my daughter and meets all my needs. Again thanks for all the help. I'll keep you all posted on what this comes out like.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.