My first "Active" "SQ'ish" build attempt.

ThxOne
Premium Member

The Boss
I am starting off in pieces and apparently you need several pieces that aren't even part of the build. Ok, so the goal is literally this: Active 2 way front stage with a single 10 subwoofer, no rear speakers, no center channels, DSP, two amplifiers, possibly an aftermarket HU but may stick with the OEM, and because of everyone who joined in on the "40" pages of helpful bashing has convinced me, a second battery.

Prep so far includes:

Have on hand

100ft 12awg red and black speaker wire

100ft 12awg blue and black speaker wire

RF 3Sixty.3 DSP

HP Laptop With REW and 3Sixty.3 software installed

Foam speaker rings

RF 10" Subwoofer

1/0 ground blocks/lugs x 5

4awg to 4awg cable adapter/reducers x 4 (power and ground for both amps)

Stinger ground and power distribution blocks

Stinger 300a circuit breaker (for disconnecting system power quickly)

Black nylon cable straps of various gauges

Rubber grommets of various gauges (up to 1/0awg)

Other misc. supplies

Still needed

The car

The speakers

The sound deadening

The second US Acoustics amp

The custom sub enclosure

The calibrated USB mic (Dayton UMM-6)

The other misc. supplies

The car might want to concentrate on this firstThe speakers need to pick the car fist

The sound deadening This is the best stuff to get https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

The calibrated USB mic (Dayton UMM-6) Consider the Mini DSP mic from Parts Express. It’s the one I use and it works excellent. https://www.parts-express.com/minidsp-umik-1-omni-directional-usb-measurement-calibrated-microphone--230-332

Not much but some help!
I am working on the car. A co-worker and I are in negotiations so to speak for a 2008 Pontiac G6 GT coupe. I have my eyes on some Image Dynamics mids and highs and if the tweets aren't that good then the Audiofrog GB15 tweets, or the Dynaudio MD 102 tweets, or the Hertz Mille Legend tweets....... You see where I am going. It's not going to be a "high power" system but the darn thing is gonna sound good. 100w to each tweeter, 100w to each mid and 750w to the sub. By the way, I also bought a Southwire 21030T Clamp Meter yesterday when I bought my laptop. The Clamp Meter is BRAND NEW... $30. I love pawn shops. Thanks for the links man.

ThxOne, consider tweeters from Parts Express and Madisound. You get better quality for your money with home audio tweeters and many of them can be found in 4 ohm versions. The issue I have with tweeters labeled for car audio is that the price doubles, sometime triples, and the quality is sometimes worse. Also consider that you can try many different tweeters from these sites and not lose a ton of money. The SB Acoustics tweeters on Madisound website are some good ones to try.

Consider the Celestion full range driver I’m using right now (see signature). It’s the best sounding setup I’ve heard/tried to date. The detail, imaging, and wide stage is incredible. I’m a new fan of running a full range speaker in a two way without tweeters. I don’t even need the Dayton tweeters I have in my signature right now. With a DSP, it’s fun and easy to try different setups on the fly and switch between to mocked up setups with the click of a button. I love just going back and forth between two different tunes with my DSP. You are going to be dragged into the never ending abyss of money ******* car audio fun, I can see that now.

Edit: I have my finder over the trigger for the AudioFrog GS60 mid woofers for my truck, midwoofers are where car audio specific drivers is where it’s at. It’s hard to find a good home audio woofer that works good in a car door when they are designed for an enclosure.

I got my 3sixty.3 really cheap... without the USB cable, remote or set-up disc. I ordered a USB cable for it and it came today. 15ft long, gold plated ends and a braided nylon jacket. Very nice USB cable. I hooked it up to my laptop and fired it up for the first time. Now I am getting excited.

36769299_1988597757849890_6488434586152861696_o.jpg

The guys at Rockford Fosgate are awesome. They have hooked me up with a physical set up disc for my 3sixty.3 and also helped me find the files on their website. There are two files you can download when looking at the DSP on the website but the remaining tracks aren't there. He, (Forrest @ RF) said to go to the upper right corner of the main web page where it says support next to videos and click support, in the search box type "Clean", the only link that comes up, click it. Scroll down and you can now see and download the remaining tracks.

Or, Click Here.

I have decided on the tweeters. I am exhausted from researching and reading reviews and ughhhhhhh!! ScanSpeak Illuminator D3004/6020-00 Tweeter Textile Dome. These are it. Period.

I'm pretty sure I am on the right track... DSP, Class A/B full range amp, ScanSpeak tweets. I am also looking at some aluminum pods on eBay for the D3004 tweets. They look awesome. My thought process is, if my co-worker backs out of the deal with the Pontiac G6 GT Coupe, I will get a slightly newer Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am dragging my heals I know... Just waiting on the car. Ughh.

Holy Hey Zeus!!! Ok, my co-worker probably isn't going to sell me his G6 GT. So today, while out on my deliveries, I stopped by a guys house and talked to him about a car he has in his front yard. It is a 1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L 5-speed car. I have owned two of them as well as the 4 door version, the Nissan Sentra. I am very familiar with the car and have had every interior panel out as well as all the seats. It is a straight forward car and a great foundation for a car stereo build. Double Din stereo opening, 6.5" speakers in the doors and back dash, roomy trunk that can hold two twelves. It's a quiet car that can be sound deadened easily.

The guy told me that he would be interested in selling it so I told him I am interested in helping him free up some yard space. I left my name and number with him and ask him to think it over and let me know what price he would like to start at. He said ok, will do, talk to you soon. I really hope he calls or text. The last person I talked to said I could have his VW Jetta and I was all set to go get it and his wife said no... I was really bummed. I'd rather have the 200sx. It's great on gas.

Her is my Silver '97. I hope he calls, the next system will be so much better.

IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0765.jpg

Holy Hey Zeus!!! Ok, my co-worker probably isn't going to sell me his G6 GT. So today, while out on my deliveries, I stopped by a guys house and talked to him about a car he has in his front yard. It is a 1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L 5-speed car. I have owned two of them as well as the 4 door version, the Nissan Sentra. I am very familiar with the car and have had every interior panel out as well as all the seats. It is a straight forward car and a great foundation for a car stereo build. Double Din stereo opening, 6.5" speakers in the doors and back dash, roomy trunk that can hold two twelves. It's a quiet car that can be sound deadened easily.

The guy told me that he would be interested in selling it so I told him I am interested in helping him free up some yard space. I left my name and number with him and ask him to think it over and let me know what price he would like to start at. He said ok, will do, talk to you soon. I really hope he calls or text. The last person I talked to said I could have his VW Jetta and I was all set to go get it and his wife said no... I was really bummed. I'd rather have the 200sx. It's great on gas.

Her is my Silver '97. I hope he calls, the next system will be so much better.

View attachment 1056

View attachment 1057
Looking for a project car hey. That'll be fun. I've got a couple I'm planning on doing something with. Collecting atm. I'll be interested in seeing what u come up with. 

Looking for a project car hey. That'll be fun. I've got a couple I'm planning on doing something with. Collecting atm. I'll be interested in seeing what u come up with. 
Kinda of. My Jeep has so many electrical problems its crazy. Now the check engine light is on which means the Jeep wants money. Since it is a 1995... no OBDII. So I had to get the codes the old fashioned way, by counting the flashes. 12 and 41. Basically it's telling me the charging system is acting up, specifically the generator field control circuit . So I may have to buy an alternator. As a delivery driver I want a car that is reliable and uses less gas. I spend most of my time in my car so it has to be able to hold a stereo system. For me, this is about as good as it gets for filling both rolls. Est. EPA 29/39 mpg and a great platform for speakers and a head unit.

Kinda of. My Jeep has so many electrical problems its crazy. Now the check engine light is on which means the Jeep wants money. Since it is a 1995... no OBDII. So I had to get the codes the old fashioned way, by counting the flashes. 12 and 41. Basically it's telling me the charging system is acting up, specifically the generator field control circuit . So I may have to buy an alternator. As a delivery driver I want a car that is reliable and uses less gas. I spend most of my time in my car so it has to be able to hold a stereo system. For me, this is about as good as it gets for filling both rolls. Est. EPA 29/39 mpg and a great platform for speakers and a head unit.
R u in town (all stop and go) or highway mostly?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...