cowenj

Trying to build my first sound system

Hey everyone this is my first time doing anything like this and I know nothing. I bought a truck that had no sound system at all, no head unit door speakers nothing the PO had removed it before selling so I'm starting with nothing. I don't have a whole lot of money but still don't want to put junk in so I've been doing a little reading and this is what I've come up with. I just want to run it by people who know their stuff so I hopefully don't do something stupid.

For a hu I was thinking the "Kenwood DPX502BT Double-Din CD Receiver with USB Interface"

Truck has spots for 4, 6x9s "

Kicker

Kicker 6x9 360W Car Speakers (4 Pack) + Boss 1000W Amplifier + 8 Gauge Wiring"

I've been looking at kits so I at least know that the amp and everything will work together

Kicker Comps 500W Subwoofer + Q Power Truck Enclosure + Boss 1100W A/B Amplifier

Average rating:out of5stars, based onreviewsWrite a reviewratings

And that's the sub

Already have 2 tweeters mounted at the top corners of the windshield and was just going to run them without an amp

Let me know what y'all think and I really appreciate any feedback.

What's a reasonable budget? I'm just looking for a simple solid sound system I do t needcrazy bass or anything from what ive read 4 6x9s, a sealed 12, and tweeters will do everything I want the stuff I posted seemed to fit the bill but if it's crap I could spend a little more.

Truck is a 03 single cab f350 and the 6x9s would go in the factory location with the 12 behind the drivers seat

The truck will need 6x8s ..it’s best to only update front door location..and not use the rear ...as far as subs if I remember there’s not a lot of room behind the seats ..but if you have enough room a single 12 would be nice ...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3

StreetBeat 2................... 145.6

Stock 1801-up.................153.8

SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2

Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

So I should only run 2 mid range speakers instead of 4? And should I get an amp with them or just run them off the head unit? Is the 12 set up I posted appropriate?

Sorry I sound dumb but I appreciate y'all help

So I should only run 2 mid range speakers instead of 4? And should I get an amp with them or just run them off the head unit? Is the 12 set up I posted appropriate?

Sorry I sound dumb but I appreciate y'all help

rear speakers should be stock on head unit power, they dont matter, any money spent on them is wasted money.

Put that money onto a better component set, like image dynamics or a better head unit. No coaxials.

You never buy anything boss ever, boss is the lowest quality bottom of the barrel garbage you can get.. Get a pioneer gm8604d instead and bridge that to your front components.

Never believe amazon ratings, its from clueless noobs that are happy that they got anything to work and a lot of dumb@sses that like to inflate their ego by saying, "these kicker comps and boss amp blew my windshield"

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Ok great so pioneer amps. Maybe a sundown sub? The truck has no speakers in it at all or head unit so using the OEM is out of the question. What is a good choice for 6x8 mids?and if I have no stock one's should I still leave out the back? Thanks

no boss, planet audio or hifonics.. u can get pretty good stuff for not to much $ just give us a total $ amount..

KENWOOD X301 HU, PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000, FU 750 12, 2.1cfad ported, soundqubed 6.5" coax/doors, hp & lp xover on hu, AGM starting batt...

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

Maybe 2 6x8 (brand?)

1 sundown sd3 10in in a sealed box

A pioneer 2ch amp for the door speakers

And a pioneer monoblock for the sub

How does that sound?

Ok I'd like to keep it under a grand if possible

For 2mid, 1 sealed 10,a monoblock,a 2ch,and a head unit

Maybe 2 6x8 (brand?)

How does that sound?

bad.

I already told you what to get amp wise. gm 6804 Specific models matter and thats the best bang for buck.

Sealed boxes are garbage in trucks. You'll need a ported box side firing port, OR a center console with rear firing port. no ifs ands or buts unless you want bass thats weak as door speakers.

Also your beginning kenwood head unit choice is bad. looking it up, it only has a 16 bit dac, means sh*t sound quality off the batt. 24 bit dacs or higher if you want anything decent out of your system. coupled along with weak pre-out voltages as well. Definitely one step away from the lowest end of the kenwood head unit selection spectrum.

This is an overall way superior head unit audio specs wise.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130S701BS/Pioneer-FH-S701BS.html?tp=72406

For speakers, Theres literally only garbage selections for 6x8 and 5x7 speakers. I'd just get an adapter and do a quality pair of 6.5s and tweeters. It'll make things sound way better for a lot cheaper unless you like spending 250+ on speakers which are these which are the only 6x8s that are worth anything. https://www.amazon.com/XS-57-Dynamics-Component-Speaker-System/dp/B004XWN7U6#customerReviews

Thats around 550 after tax for head unit, speakers, and amp. Yes you will need all 4 channels of that amp, you will need to bridge the 4 channel into 2 channel mode to get proper amounts of power to the speakers. you always want over 200+ watts per component set for a plethora of reasons which i can go into detail if you want but in short, more power to speakers = more clarity, detail at higher volume without the speaker getting stressed and sound like garbage due to the amp distorting from not having enough power.

leaves 450 for sub, enclosure and amp. If you can build your own box, you'll save a lot of money If you feel like sacrificing the center console to make your box build easier and open up sub choices, that'll be swell as well.

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Maybe able to save money by getting a 4 ch amp to use 2 channels for mids/highs and bridging the other 2 channels for sub. Dont forget to include in your budget the wiring, harness and dash kit for your truck. they make adapters to go from 6x8 to 6.5's which would give you more options.https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_151321_4-Kicker-KSC680-44KSC6804-Speaker-Package.html

Pioneer GM-D9605

Pioneer DEH 80 PRS

1 Sundown SD-2 10,

Kicker SS56.2 components.(Soon to be changed out) Anyone with a set of these or maybe a single mid I'm looking

Rockford Fosgate T-1000.1bd

Pioneer GM6400f

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am DH Audio.,

This isn't baseball I'm the original DH Richard Ctranium

i agree with jeff in keeping stock rears (if they work at all now) run them off hu get hu with hp pass xover and 24da convertor so they won't distort.. yeah 6.5" comps would be better for front on amp just get adapters u can find some that are ok for $95 or so.. the pioneer 4 channel was tested recently and did well but other option as tommy suggested get a soundqubed 100x4 $149 (also tested well) bridge 2 channels to 1 sub idk about the sd but other subs will work well with that power.. https://soundqubed.com/product/s4-100/

KENWOOD X301 HU, PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000, FU 750 12, 2.1cfad ported, soundqubed 6.5" coax/doors, hp & lp xover on hu, AGM starting batt...

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

Jeff pretty much built you a good setup. If you wanted to keep the speakers a little cheaper, you can get the Cadence ZRS6KM for around $60-$70 shipped. I have them and for the price, they are a good deal. They will be plenty loud for your setup. Don't be afraid to be used equipment as well.

2009 Ford F150 Supercrew

JVC 830BT

ID CXS64 comps

Diamond Audio D5 600.2

IDQv4 10 x2 sealed

JBL GTR-1001

Knu, Tsunami, Stinger, RF wiring etc

I can build my own box and am willing to sacrifice my console

So now I got:

2) 6.5s

1) 4ch amp with 2ch briged for sub

Console box with a backfire port

Pioneer FH-S701BS

CD receiver head unit

And wiring kits

Getting better?

So now I got:

2) 6.5s

Pioneer FH-S701BS

CD receiver head unit

And wiring kits

Getting better?

yeah looking ok i'd get at least 4ga wire kit and make sure it says ofc (100% cooper wire) and make sure sub you get will work well with power you have.. you just need to get exact max measurements of center console box and see if someone can design one that'll work for u..

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

So now I got:

2) 6.5s

Pioneer FH-S701BS

CD receiver head unit

And wiring kits

Getting better?

yeah a lot better.

If you can build your own box, then that saves a LOT of $$$ and opens up a lot of options.

for subwoofer recommendations, we'd need to know dimensions of what you have in length x width x height. I also recommend a dedicated monoblock at least 1000 watts vs bridging 2 channels of the amp if you actually like moderately loud bass. this amp is cheap with okay power about 1200 watts. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017XLEO2I/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=ryanblanken07-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B017XLEO2I&linkId=666afcea3dd00d63411a85932abe66ce

If you are going down to 6.5s, you can have a pretty sick front stage setup for 110 dollars but you'll need to go active which means tweeters directly to the amp and mids directly to the amp and you will need to use the 3 way network mode crossover on your head unit(that pioneer is capable of that) to cross over the mids and tweets. This means you'll use 2 channels for mids, two channels for tweeters. Your head unit RCAs are not front, rear and sub anymore, it will be high, mid and low.

That might be more advanced for you but if you are willing to learn, it produces 10x more results in both loudness and sound quality more than any component or coaxial set for way cheaper.

So now I got:

2) 6.5s

Pioneer FH-S701BS

CD receiver head unit

And wiring kits

Getting better?

yeah like jeff said if u want good bass u can get mono amp to power sub, 2 amps are tad more work as far as wiring.. some decent mono amps $149 or so like the sq s1-850 which would pair great with the sq 4 channel i showed you but u don't have to match the amps.. if u are willing to spend more on the amp/s your could get a 5 channel solve all problems some of them do more power to the sub than small 2 channel will give this is 80x4 + 500 @2ohm to sub not the best in the world but the mono amps have tested well https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-dB55-Channel-Amplifier-Stereo/dp/B071SGK6FL/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1524506292&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=5+channel+amp&psc=1 pretty good amp https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-5-Channel-Amplifier-PAD5000-5/dp/B005ZKFZEQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1524506385&sr=8-9&keywords=5+channel+amp#customerReviews if you want to be pretty happy and have nice amp splurge on this make it the center of system and slowly build around it https://www.amazon.com/Sundown-Audio-SAE-1100-5-5-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B06Y3WYRJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524506496&sr=8-1&keywords=5+channel+sundown+amp

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

Maybe 2 6x8 (brand?)

How does that sound?

I have that Sundown SD3 subwoofer in a modified braced sealed .5 cu ft parts express box and it sounds excellent in my regular F150 truck on 400 Watts RMS. Get the JBL GTX 500 from Crutchfield at $99 to run it. It’s rated at 500 watts RMS but puts out much more on a dyno. Also get the 4 gauge amp kit for it, don’t run 8 gauge, and it has to be oxygen free copper wire. Chrutchfields kits are a good bet. The Pioneer GM D8604 as Jeff said will work for the front and bridge the rear channels for the sub if you want to save some money. If you do this than the JBL amp may not be needed. You could purchase the JBL amp and use the four channels from the D8604 for the front speakers only by using two channels for the door woofers and two channels for each tweeter. Some component sets will allow you to do this. This Morel component set should drop in and sound excellent https://www.crutchfield.com/p_210TU572/Morel-Tempo-Ultra-572.html?tp=106 or go with a like 6.5” component set with adapters. If you don’t have to have a touch screen HU than many of the Alpine and Pioneer single sims units in the $200 + dollar range would be very good. I have the double din Pioneer 1330 and like it.

2014 Sienna 2-way active SQ system. SB Acoustics SB29RDCN Tweeters. Focal PS165V mid woofers. Pioneer D9500F 75 watts RMS x 4. Pioneer BHS 5800 HU. AudioControl EQX. 10” Alpine SWS sub in custom ported box tuned to 35 hz on JBL GTX 500.

2014 F-150 XL WT 2-way active budget SQ system. Tang Band 25-302SH 1" tweeters. Dayton Audio ND140-4 mid woofers. Pioneer D8604. JBL Club 5501. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP & FIX 86. Sundown SD3 10” sub ported/ 33Hz 1 cube.

2014 CX5 3-way active SQ system. Pioneer 1330 NIX HU. Dayton AMT tweeters. Celestion AN2775 2-3/4 midrange. NVX XSP65 mid woofers. Pioneer PRS D4200F 75 WPC x 4. Infinity K1000. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP. Sundown SA 12” 2 cube/33Hz.

Ok awesome I'll get measurements for what size box I can fit

And again thanks a lot for all of the help

I have that Alpine head unit and really enjoyed it. It'll be going up for sale soon.

2009 Ford F150 Supercrew

JVC 830BT

ID CXS64 comps

Diamond Audio D5 600.2

IDQv4 10 x2 sealed

JBL GTR-1001

Knu, Tsunami, Stinger, RF wiring etc

There are some good component 6x9 sets. I just got a email from crutchfield, kicker speakers on sale buy 1 comp get one half price.

2018 silverado double cab

Kenwood DDX 6705S

Morel tempo ultra 6X9" comps

2 Jl audio 10w3

Jl audio 300/4

Jl audio 500/1

Factory rear run off HU

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in