Car and car audio system - help me choose

SacTownGuy

I am old school fool. Had my first woofers in 1987 in the back of my 5.0. Haven't had a system in 15 years (before kids changed our life). Been itching to get back into it. I don't mind spending a few bucks on a car audio system but not really sure what's enough. $5k!? I have no skills so will hire a top quality shop to do the work. Looking at 4 door car like Lexus GS-350, Infiniti Q70, and maybe 5 series BMW. That type of car. Probably get something 3-5 years old as I would feel too guilty ripping out a brand new Mark Levinson sound system out of a Lexus. I am old school rap guy so will be heavy on bass with 10's or 12's supplying the bump in the trunk. What car lends itself well to setting up a reasonably bass heavy system? What's the latest and greatest in car audio? What should I be looking for in head units, amps, speakers, etc...? I have been out of the game for a long time. Would love to hear your collective knowledge. Thanks in advance for the help!

If you install it yourself you can get a pretty decent setup for $2k if you listen to the advice provided to you

I usually only have the enclosure built. Everything else I handle

If you install it yourself you can get a pretty decent setup for $2k if you listen to the advice provided to you
I usually only have the enclosure built. Everything else I handle
I got no skills or patience and am ok hiring a good installer. I have had many systems, over the years, and there is a BIG difference between good and bad installers.

Not getting many answers here. Anybody have experience (good or bad stories/pictures) of installing in a GS350? That's the main car I am looking at.

I got no skills or patience and am ok hiring a good installer. I have had many systems, over the years, and there is a BIG difference between good and bad installers.
Not getting many answers here. Anybody have experience (good or bad stories/pictures) of installing in a GS350? That's the main car I am looking at.
you're asking a very specific question, find a car you like and go from there once you learn what it can accommodate as far as the size of door speakers, where the tweets are located, if the headunit will be replaced, and how large you can go with subs in the trunk

Thing about trunks..It takes some power to get some good bass,and modifications to get those DBs in there with you.Im an SUV/Hatch/or Xcab kinda guy.Its all in there with ya.Id be in search for an HO alt for that vehicle to get the power you need for the supply /demand be my first research needed

you're asking a very specific question, find a car you like and go from there once you learn what it can accommodate as far as the size of door speakers, where the tweets are located, if the headunit will be replaced, and how large you can go with subs in the trunk
Ive always sat down with a sheet of paper and plan my system out in that particular vehicle of what i have lying around generally.Get some research done if need be.

I appreciate all the replies.

I have had some bumpin' hatchbacks and SUVs so I fully get that idea but I really prefer a trunk as an old man. I could probably be convinced to go hatch or SUV but would need to be ideal. For example, if I bumped into a car with an incredible system I could bend my desires if the stereo is really off the hook.

In the old days I subscribed to all the car stereo magazines and would save photos from great builds. I did subscribe to PAS until recently. Maybe they finally went out of business like all the others. So would love to see photos, ideas, etc.... Is there a place on this website with that? I didn't see it. Other websites?

Appreciate all the help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.