3.5" dash speakers?

evil_lies

Texas
I recently got a 2007 quad cab dodge ram. It has 6x9's in the front doors and 6.5 in the rear doors from what I understand. I have some cheese budget pioneer speakers laying around I plan on throwing in as an upgrade to the stock speakers and go from there if I'm not happy. But it has 3 mounting positions in the dash for 3.5 speakers. They don't currently have speakers, but should I run these as a tweeter and use a crossover with the front door speakers or just use a midrange speaker as fill?

You've got a lot of flexibility with that arrangement, just depends on how you want to go. Not sure of your budget or crossover capabilities as far as headunit/DSP goes. For a traditional approach, you could do tweeters in that location and mids down in the doors. You could run a coax in that location with mids in the doors. You could also do a wideband like SB Acoustics, Fountek, Scanspeak, etc... in that location (like those pictured below) and run more of a dedicated midbass in the door. These setups can sound really good while keeping things simple.

SB65WBAC25-4-side.jpg

5F-8422T01.gif

fr89ex-4.jpg

Hybrid has a wide band specifically designed for that location.
You crack me up, I could never take you seriously. You swear up and down repeatedly that any driver sounds like any other driver and yet you suggest a really expensive one to this guy. With your logic, why not suggest a cheap driver and just make it sound like the Hybrid? Makes no sense.
The question is rhetorical BTW, I know the answer.

You crack me up, I could never take you seriously. You swear up and down repeatedly that any driver sounds like any other driver and yet you suggest a really expensive one to this guy. With your logic, why not suggest a cheap driver and just make it sound like the Hybrid? Makes no sense.
The question is rhetorical BTW, I know the answer.
Different drivers do better on different axis. I would expect you to know that. Also any good wide band will cost a bit more.

I personally run these in my dash and love them http://www.beyma.com/getpdf.php?pid=3FR30
Solid driver, definitely one of the more sensitive examples at 91.5dB. Really great Qms figure as well, probably sounds very sweet.
I like the EAD E60HD MKII for that application. They're among the best but not exactly cheap. They act like a bending wave driver so they have a great impulse and decay time for lots of inner detail. But, the SB Acoustics comes incredibly close to matching the overall performance of that driver so it makes sense to go with those at ~$50-$60 for a new pair, versus the EAD.

Solid driver, definitely one of the more sensitive examples at 91.5dB. Really great Qms figure as well, probably sounds very sweet.
I like the EAD E60HD MKII for that application. They're among the best but not exactly cheap. They act like a bending wave driver so they have a great impulse and decay time for lots of inner detail. But, the SB Acoustics comes incredibly close to matching the overall performance of that driver so it makes sense to go with those at ~$50-$60 for a new pair, versus the EAD.
Im sure you would know this also. This driver is terrible on axis as a wide band. Proof here.

https://shopcdn.textalk.se/shop/17596/art23/80801923-6e82d9-EAD_E60HD_MKII_v1.0.pdf

Im sure you would know this also. This driver is terrible on axis as a wide band. Proof here.
https://shopcdn.textalk.se/shop/17596/art23/80801923-6e82d9-EAD_E60HD_MKII_v1.0.pdf
Seriously? Do you understand total power response or polar response, at all? What about spectral decay?
What I know more than anything that you would attempt to tell me, is that you do not fully understand drivers from an advanced perspective. Your tiny little mind is trapped in the frequency response domain and there is so much more to things than that. But it is the reason you have convinced yourself that you can make any driver sound like another driver, and I love knowing that you are trapped in that horse-blinders world of yours.

I refuse to debate you because your ego is insane your ignorance is even worse. I also know that you have never heard Jordan bending wave drivers, while I have multiple pairs of them. But I will suggest to you that you study the importance of impulse response, decay times, speed & propagation of energy within a given cone profile/shape/material, as well as things like harmonic distortion, IM distortion, flux compression & modulation, and of course the true nature of bending wave drivers to know why it is, that even when FR plots look identical, things won't necessarily sound the same. Because you would then understand why the statement you made is so ridiculous. Especially with some of your previous logic that you can simply use DSP to fix anything, right?

I mean, even if you'd read any of the many online impressions from numerous, numerous users of the many generations of that driver, or the Genius of Ted Jordan himself & everything that he has given to the DIY community over the last 50-60years, you would realize how ignorant you sound. But I know that even if you heard a pair and knew deep inside that they were in fact the best thing you'd ever heard (they have won trophies in the lanes, afterall), your pride and arrogance would not allow you to utter it aloud. You really are a joke to me and I can only hope that others do not limit themselves by subscribing to the garbage you frequently spew forth. And the more you type, the more you contradict yourself.

Yeah I'd love to have those hybrids, but this is a improve as I go type project and those little 3.5's are at the bottom of the priority list. I would just like something decent to fill out the sound for now.

Seriously? Do you understand total power response or polar response, at all? What about spectral decay?
What I know more than anything that you would attempt to tell me, is that you do not fully understand drivers from an advanced perspective. Your tiny little mind is trapped in the frequency response domain and there is so much more to things than that. But it is the reason you have convinced yourself that you can make any driver sound like another driver, and I love knowing that you are trapped in that horse-blinders world of yours.

I refuse to debate you because your ego is insane your ignorance is even worse. I also know that you have never heard Jordan bending wave drivers, while I have multiple pairs of them. But I will suggest to you that you study the importance of impulse response, decay times, speed & propagation of energy within a given cone profile/shape/material, as well as things like harmonic distortion, IM distortion, flux compression & modulation, and of course the true nature of bending wave drivers to know why it is, that even when FR plots look identical, things won't necessarily sound the same. Because you would then understand why the statement you made is so ridiculous. Especially with some of your previous logic that you can simply use DSP to fix anything, right?

I mean, even if you'd read any of the many online impressions from numerous, numerous users of the many generations of that driver, or the Genius of Ted Jordan himself & everything that he has given to the DIY community over the last 50-60years, you would realize how ignorant you sound. But I know that even if you heard a pair and knew deep inside that they were in fact the best thing you'd ever heard (they have won trophies in the lanes, afterall), your pride and arrogance would not allow you to utter it aloud. You really are a joke to me and I can only hope that others do not limit themselves by subscribing to the garbage you frequently spew forth. And the more you type, the more you contradict yourself.
Lol. You wouldn’t know good sound if it kicked you in the balls.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

evil_lies

evil_lies
Texas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
evil_lies