hispls

2$ DIY clipping detector

So all the debates over setting mono amplifier gains with an o-scope or volt meter, or amplifier temperature, and no one has ever brought this stupid simple idea up and you some here knew about it too. Why?

Because temps are more important than finding out a clipping point at a certain frequency at a certain db level... You are playing music, not test tones. Its better to know your system limits rather than finding one setting and sticking with it for everything you play which is pretty dumb for anyone that actually understands audio levels in song recordings.

Clipping raises temperature and gear dies from heat. Amp temperature and coil temps is the most important aspect. You could not be clipping but other issues cause heat will still kill your equipment as well.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

So all the debates over setting mono amplifier gains with an o-scope or volt meter, or amplifier temperature, and no one has ever brought this stupid simple idea up and you some here knew about it too. Why?

this trick has been around for a while, it just hasn't really gotten much interest... people argue left and right about setting gains on a subwoofer amplifier and its really quite simple once you know how. its just a matter of watching input voltage, smelling coil, and listening for nasty distortion. you start out conservative, and slowly add more until you find the point that its too much

ill admit this method helps you find the area the gain should be set in, so you dont set it too low or too high, but beyond that it's really a method id find more useful on amps you're using for mids/highs because clipping on those tiny voice coils can kill them fast on higher power amps like the ppi900.4 (or anything above say 75-100w rms) but at that point, as jeff said, it's a matter of assessing your equipment capabilities because speakers can be well past their thermal and mechanical capabilities depending on the driver

I AM The Future of personal transportation, NOW!!
Pretty sure everyone on this site hates you (@JohnKuthe) more then me and that's very hard to accomplish.

#1 killer for my gear is when a group of hot import models hop in for a demo acting all slutty and really enjoying the bass.

Common sense is the most important factor in car audio safety. Any factors that inhibits that is the most dangerous.

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Because temps are more important than finding out a clipping point at a certain frequency at a certain db level... You are playing music, not test tones. Its better to know your system limits rather than finding one setting and sticking with it for everything you play which is pretty dumb for anyone that actually understands audio levels in song recordings.

Clipping raises temperature and gear dies from heat. Amp temperature and coil temps is the most important aspect. You could not be clipping but other issues cause heat will still kill your equipment as well.

Sorry Jeff but this one baffles me so I guess I do not understand Audio levels in song recordings. I get that some recordings are louder than others but there isn’t much I can do about that without getting crazy about it I guess. I would assume different amplifiers have different thermal capacity’s and even between different classes of amplifiers such as class AB vs Class D. Just the quality and design of an amplifier is a big factor there. Some amps get hot while under clipping and some can clip for a long time before they get hot. Where do you draw that line in terms of temperature for voice coils or amplifiers? It can’t be universal among brands right? How do you check voice coil temperature and what is considered hot? Just don’t get this nor have I ever heard of this one anywhere else. This **** is way over my head!

I’m more intrigued as to why more people do not use this Small speaker method for clipping detection and why at least in my tenure here it hasn’t been recommended before knowing that it’s been known and around for 2 years according to someone above.

2014 Sienna 2-way active SQ system. SB Acoustics SB29RDCN Tweeters. Focal PS165V mid woofers. Pioneer D9500F 75 watts RMS x 4. Pioneer BHS 5800 HU. Dayton Audio 408 DSP. 10” Alpine SWS sub in custom ported box tuned to 35 hz, JBL GTX 500.

2014 F-150 XL WT 2-way active SQ system. AudioFrog GB10 tweeters. Stock Ford 6x8 mid woofers. Pioneer D8604. JBL Club 5501. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP & FIX 86. Sundown SD3 10” sub ported/ 33Hz 1 cube.

2014 CX5 2-way active SQ system. Pioneer 1330 NIX HU. AudioFrog GB15 tweeters. AudioFrog GB60. Rockford Ti600.4. Rockford Ti1500. JL Audio Twk 88 DSP. AudioFrog GB12D2” 1.8 cube/33Hz.

#1 killer for my gear is when a group of hot import models hop in for a demo acting all slutty and really enjoying the bass.

Common sense is the most important factor in car audio safety. Any factors that inhibits that is the most dangerous.

LOL I'm honestly surprised you can even get those Team AA's hot. The bass 15k is a beast but still it takes some time for me to get a single Team AA hot with one Bass 12k

Pretty sure everyone on this site hates you (@JohnKuthe) more then me and that's very hard to accomplish.

LOL I'm honestly surprised you can even get those Team AA's hot. The bass 15k is a beast but still it takes some time for me to get a single Team AA hot with one Bass 12k

Hdc3s died. Team AAs laugh at those thots.

Hdc3s died. Team AAs laugh at those thots.

I figured as much, I aspire to be where you're at though. Way too easy to reach mechanical limits at this power level. You can probably set your filters pretty wide and get away with it!

For me this method makes sense. I adjust my amp gains at 35 of 40 volume. Bring the gains up to clipping then back off just slightly. Then no matter the recording level (pending ridiculous anomalies) I have enough left over to get as loud as I want. I.e. all of my Beastie Boys tracks are recorded very quiet. I can go to 40. I can always keep the volume lower on +db tracks.

My oscilloscope is a desktop model and not real portable. I like this a lot.

If sub needs to be hooked up how do I hear this lil tweeter over my subs?

Kinda only read 1st page

08 ext cab z71

Hu pioneer avh-8500........prs80

Mechman 320 and a Gp 370 with dual alt bracket

northstar 34 and 480 with gp terminals for both

Ton of ofc 2/0 and smd fuse blocks

Soundqubed hdc4 12's

Soundqubed 6.5's two sets

crescendo concerto c1100.4

Sound digital evo 12k

I figured as much, I aspire to be where you're at though. Way too easy to reach mechanical limits at this power level. You can probably set your filters pretty wide and get away with it!

What filters? I always have subsonic off. just a head unit low pass is all i need.

If sub needs to be hooked up how do I hear this lil tweeter over my subs?

Kinda only read 1st page

Thats just what I like to do because I wanted to see precisely how it clips with a load. You can just buy something and wire series or parallel to match your ohm load and do the test without a sub connected.

For me this method makes sense. I adjust my amp gains at 35 of 40 volume. Bring the gains up to clipping then back off just slightly. Then no matter the recording level (pending ridiculous anomalies) I have enough left over to get as loud as I want. I.e. all of my Beastie Boys tracks are recorded very quiet. I can go to 40. I can always keep the volume lower on +db tracks.

My oscilloscope is a desktop model and not real portable. I like this a lot.

Did the Beastie Boys ever release any good songs after Licensed to Ill ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3

StreetBeat 2................... 145.6

Stock 1801-up.................153.8

SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2

Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

Did you use the capacitor or piezo?

I gotta figure out where to get a piezo at.

I just used an old tweeter from a cheap coaxial set that I had dismantled. Surely you have one laying around.

I just used an old tweeter from a cheap coaxial set that I had dismantled. Surely you have one laying around.

Unfortunately I don't. I guess i better look for a cheap one on offer up. Did you just use the tweeter by itself or the capacitor too?

Did the Beastie Boys ever release any good songs after Licensed to Ill ?
Not really. Licensed to Ill is a really quiet recording. I did like Intergalactic for the most part. A couple on Ill Communication are good.

Unfortunately I don't. I guess i better look for a cheap one on offer up. Did you just use the tweeter by itself or the capacitor too?

I used the tweeter with the cap attached that came on it.

I’m more intrigued as to why more people do not use this Small speaker method for clipping detection and why at least in my tenure here it hasn’t been recommended before knowing that it’s been known and around for 2 years according to someone above.

My opinion has always been if your goal is listening to music set gains playing music (to what sounds good), if you're chasing 10ths set gains with the meter to what gives you the best numbers. I had never seen it before but when I saw the video with him holding a small speaker and capacitor I knew right away what was going to happen. Really a clever idea to find your amp's max output, whether it has a lot of practical uses is debatable, but considering some folks pay 200$ for a fancy SMD "tool" to do the same thing I think it's worth mentioning.

He knows what he is doing, impedance may be high, and likely his build is plenty of loud enough without needing to push nearly a lot of power to his subs.

What filters? I always have subsonic off. just a head unit low pass is all i need.

You pretty much set it up for daily use then lol I figured you had them open but didn't want to say completely off without knowing

Edited by wew lad

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now