2$ DIY clipping detector

I figured as much, I aspire to be where you're at though. Way too easy to reach mechanical limits at this power level. You can probably set your filters pretty wide and get away with it!

What filters? I always have subsonic off. just a head unit low pass is all i need.

If sub needs to be hooked up how do I hear this lil tweeter over my subs?
Kinda only read 1st page
Thats just what I like to do because I wanted to see precisely how it clips with a load. You can just buy something and wire series or parallel to match your ohm load and do the test without a sub connected.

For me this method makes sense. I adjust my amp gains at 35 of 40 volume. Bring the gains up to clipping then back off just slightly. Then no matter the recording level (pending ridiculous anomalies) I have enough left over to get as loud as I want. I.e. all of my Beastie Boys tracks are recorded very quiet. I can go to 40. I can always keep the volume lower on +db tracks.
My oscilloscope is a desktop model and not real portable. I like this a lot.
Did the Beastie Boys ever release any good songs after Licensed to Ill ?

I just used an old tweeter from a cheap coaxial set that I had dismantled. Surely you have one laying around.
Unfortunately I don't. I guess i better look for a cheap one on offer up. Did you just use the tweeter by itself or the capacitor too?

I’m more intrigued as to why more people do not use this Small speaker method for clipping detection and why at least in my tenure here it hasn’t been recommended before knowing that it’s been known and around for 2 years according to someone above.
My opinion has always been if your goal is listening to music set gains playing music (to what sounds good), if you're chasing 10ths set gains with the meter to what gives you the best numbers. I had never seen it before but when I saw the video with him holding a small speaker and capacitor I knew right away what was going to happen. Really a clever idea to find your amp's max output, whether it has a lot of practical uses is debatable, but considering some folks pay 200$ for a fancy SMD "tool" to do the same thing I think it's worth mentioning.

LOL I'm honestly surprised you can even get those Team AA's hot. The bass 15k is a beast but still it takes some time for me to get a single Team AA hot with one Bass 12k
He knows what he is doing, impedance may be high, and likely his build is plenty of loud enough without needing to push nearly a lot of power to his subs.

What filters? I always have subsonic off. just a head unit low pass is all i need.
You pretty much set it up for daily use then lol I figured you had them open but didn't want to say completely off without knowing

Last edited by a moderator:
He knows what he is doing, impedance may be high, and likely his build is plenty of loud enough without needing to push nearly a lot of power to his subs.
Thanks sherlock, I know he knows what he's doing but I don't know all the details. I only got the bass 12k so I could get a second Team AA in the future and be plenty loud without worry of mechanical limits

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.