need some advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

robd183

hello everyone. I've been dabbling in mobile audio now for about 18 years and have never run across something like this. I recently purchased a set of Memphis power reference dvc 4 ohm 12s and hooked them up in 2 ohm on an audiopipe 1500 2 channel 1 ohm stable amp. Did not run them in one ohm but 2 ohm on amp. Also installed a .5 farad cap to keep steady power flow. face it we all hate the dimming of our headlights. Have them in a slot ported box 5.8 cubic feet which sub specs call for 5.86 cubic feet. Had amp on quarter gain with frequency set to 50 hrz. with subsonic filter off. after about 10 minuets of play at low volume they went up in smoke. I figured ok my amp was still to much for my power reference 12s so I pulled my popped Memphis out and pulled the new audiopipe amp out. I replaced them with my tried and true kicker comp 12s and sony 1200 watt amp which I had been running in my car for almost 2 years now. left the new power cap in. and with the same tuning I have always had on them they flamed out within 20 minuets of play as well. Could it be a bad cap or is there something that I have over looked? I have 4 awg power and ground wire all stinger. as well as rca. Ground from amp runs to cap and not frame but cap is grounded well to frame andyes I properly charged it before just hooking it up. any advice please. have a set of hyphonics dvc 4 ohm I can put in but don't want to blow them due to this issue. imean come on 6 12s in 3 days come on that's enough to make anyone loose it.

rather get another altinator. not enough room anywhere for another battery. used to have a 1.0 farad cap on the kickers and sony amp so not sure why it would be the cap but anything is possible.

everthing has already been changed over already. everthing is 4 awg and ive already checked back over to make sure that my connections are good which they are. have sufficient power reaching amp before amp drain. but even with big 3 it still has a slight dim to lights. hence forth the .5 cap instead of going back to 1.0 farad cap. was droping from 14.6 volts on drop to 11.5 at amp before cap. now is stay at 12.4 or higher during drain. but still dosent explain why blowing speakers.

everthing has already been changed over already. everthing is 4 awg and ive already checked back over to make sure that my connections are good which they are. have sufficient power reaching amp before amp drain. but even with big 3 it still has a slight dim to lights. hence forth the .5 cap instead of going back to 1.0 farad cap. was droping from 14.6 volts on drop to 11.5 at amp before cap. now is stay at 12.4 or higher during drain. but still dosent explain why blowing speakers.
Was it fine before the cap except for the dimming?

the old kicker comps and sony 1200 was but when upgraded to audiopipe 1500 and Memphis I added the cap because of the extra drain. played fine for 30 minuets then flamed out at same time. put old back in and flmed out after 20 minuets. but never heard of a cap burning out voice coils before. have you? even with pulling cap still nervous about trying to put my spare hyphonics in without some kind of insight into the issue. now ive heard of bad caps or improperly charged cap burning up an amp but not voice coils

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.