I'm going to compete in my first competition tomorrow, I got a 14ft³ box with a vertical center port. I am in a Box style Caravan. I am wondering if anyone can tell me where my box would be loudest for SPL right now it's in the back about 6"-8" from the rear hatch facing rearward with upward firing 18"s. I was thinking to take the midseat out and put it right behind the front seats with the port facing forward between the seats. But I thought I would come ask some of y'all in the forum and get some advice from some people who have seen alot of set ups and competed before.

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who replys.

93 Dodge Caravan

Excessive Amperage 300amp Hairpin Alt

JVC KD-X340BTS, 2x FU750v2.0 - 18"

12CFT Net Vol. Ported Box Tuned @ 32hrz

Aphard Sound Machete M2000D

3x 100aH Power Sonic Batteries

Sony 5.25 4ways(Dash)

Kicker 6X9 3ways(Rear Hatch)

2/0g AWG OFC Welding Cable

8G AWG OFC Speaker Wire

The only way to know is by testing. Sometimes you can pay a little extra and get some time on the meter to test before the competition starts. If you're serious about competing I highly suggest obtaining your own spl meter.

giphy.gif

Yea, I was looking at this Bluetooth one that's $250, cuz it's like $50 for 3 runs at the local shop so I definitely plan on it. The owner at a local shop told me to come and try competing tho so I'm gonna give it a shot n see what I can do. I was looking at some soundqubed s1-2250 amps so I can strap 2 together when I get my other 2 18"s. Then I'll really be competion level lol

93 Dodge Caravan

Sony 5.25 4ways(Dash)

8G AWG OFC Speaker Wire

I have an older spl lab that hooks up through usb, I paid around $340 for it 6 years ago. If you want to be competitive and win you will have to do a lot of testing. It also helps to read the rulebooks for the specific organization- for instance MECA will have different rules than USACI or IASCA. Knowing the rules helps you build for a certain class which helps keep you competitive.

giphy.gif

Yea how I put it ****** I had to change it back.

93 Dodge Caravan

Sony 5.25 4ways(Dash)

8G AWG OFC Speaker Wire

Today was the day correct?.. did you meter the thing?

Today was the day correct?.. did you meter the thing?

Yea, I ran in Novice 1501-3k USACI and did 146.8 @ 40hrz on my first run and 144.1@ 35hrz on my second. I should have went to 42hrz and rolled my window up all the way I think, I might have gone higher idk. Definitely need to get a meter tho now. I had a good time checking out people stuff and showing mine. Don't meet too many ppl who appreciate really loud bass. A guy told me if I sound deaden my van I'll get way louder, there was another caravan their that was doing 160+ I think he said but he had much bigger amps then my one amp.

93 Dodge Caravan

Sony 5.25 4ways(Dash)

8G AWG OFC Speaker Wire

Yea, I was looking at this Bluetooth one that's $250, cuz it's like $50 for 3 runs at the local shop so I definitely plan on it. The owner at a local shop told me to come and try competing tho so I'm gonna give it a shot n see what I can do. I was looking at some soundqubed s1-2250 amps so I can strap 2 together when I get my other 2 18"s. Then I'll really be competion level lol

the flaw in your logic is, it might move you up a class and you will be up against monsters. Every class you move up is usually a ridiculous jump in dbs that you have to compete with. Read up on the rules and classes, choose the smallest class you fit in and do everything you can to gain on the meter legally.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Yea, I ran in Novice 1501-3k USACI and did 146.8 @ 40hrz on my first run and 144.1@ 35hrz on my second. I should have went to 42hrz and rolled my window up all the way I think, I might have gone higher idk. Definitely need to get a meter tho now. I had a good time checking out people stuff and showing mine. Don't meet too many ppl who appreciate really loud bass. A guy told me if I sound deaden my van I'll get way louder, there was another caravan their that was doing 160+ I think he said but he had much bigger amps then my one amp.

Windows and doors open is way louder than sealed 99% of the times. Its the same principles as ported vs sealed. If they meter on the dash or kick on the passenger side, you want your driver door opened or driver window cracked halfway down or fully down while the passenger side is fully closed up.

If your box is not above the window line or past the B pillar, you should have been novice 0-1500 not 1500-3000. You would have at least taken home a trophy.

Sound deaden will either gain db at a lower frequency but not necessary getting overall louder, some of the times after deadening some people lose dbs on the meter because their car was louder when it peaked at a higher frequency. What you can do is 1/2 plywood your roof with heavy duty PL adhesive and brace any part of your car from flexing(make sure you make it look stock or else you'll get your @ss called out on it and get disqualified). Deadener deadens sound and lowers resonance aka lows cabin peak frequency. It'll sound better on music but gaining on the meter is a luck of the draw. A member on here lost dbs deadening his grand caravan thats why i mentioned this.

Dont swap gear, stick in your class, stick with the same gear, read up on rules http://www.usaciworldwide.org/Rules/2018USACIRules.pdf. Learn every trick possible to gain dbs. Play around with box and port tuning mods. Play with the seat positions, sun visors, how clean your car is, the weather... EVERYTHING affects your db scores. You need to know whats your ideal metering conditions and setup along with knowing your best frequency. Definitely get a meter.

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS................................Mids/Highs amp: CT 500.2, ppi 600.2, ppi 900.4 bridged

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

Windows and doors open is way louder than sealed 99% of the times. Its the same principles as ported vs sealed. If they meter on the dash or kick on the passenger side, you want your driver door opened or driver window cracked halfway down or fully down while the passenger side is fully closed up.

If your box is not above the window line or past the B pillar, you should have been novice 0-1500 not 1500-3000. You would have at least taken home a trophy.

Sound deaden will either gain db at a lower frequency but not necessary getting overall louder, some of the times after deadening some people lose dbs on the meter because their car was louder when it peaked at a higher frequency. What you can do is 1/2 plywood your roof with heavy duty PL adhesive and brace any part of your car from flexing(make sure you make it look stock or else you'll get your @ss called out on it and get disqualified). Deadener deadens sound and lowers resonance aka lows cabin peak frequency. It'll sound better on music but gaining on the meter is a luck of the draw. A member on here lost dbs deadening his grand caravan thats why i mentioned this.

Dont swap gear, stick in your class, stick with the same gear, read up on rules http://www.usaciworldwide.org/Rules/2018USACIRules.pdf. Learn every trick possible to gain dbs. Play around with box and port tuning mods. Play with the seat positions, sun visors, how clean your car is, the weather... EVERYTHING affects your db scores. You need to know whats your ideal metering conditions and setup along with knowing your best frequency. Definitely get a meter.

I don't think there was anyone their under 1500w and my amp is a 2k so I had to do that one I asked the USACI judge what i should run in and he said either the novice 1501-3k or the outlaw 5k no wall but that I probably would do better in the novice class. And it was metered on the kick panel passenger side with driver window all the way down. To me it seems louder barely cracked or closed but I guess I won't know till I get a meter. I got alot of air leakage from my hatch and side windows tho that I been working to reduce

93 Dodge Caravan

Sony 5.25 4ways(Dash)

8G AWG OFC Speaker Wire

146 and some change isn't bad for 2000W type class. Of course 2K does no no favors if your options are 0-1500 and 1500-3000. You'd probably be close to the same power/score and more competitive if you could swap that amp with Sundown SAZ1500D or some other under-rated 1500.

Jeff had some great advice, but to summarize the important bits you need to own a meter and you need to test EVERYTHING.

Deadening can get very expensive and may gain or lose. If you're not prepared to test, add a bit, test again, then potentially rip it all off if it doesn't help, don't bother. Or if you just want to deaden things go for it and let the chips fall where they may as far as numbers.

Buy gorilla tape. You can probably gain half a dB just with that.

Here's some things to try. Don't get hung up on what did and didn't work for the threadstarter. Just try EVERYTHING and test, keep notes.

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/98191-spl-gains-updates-page-30-routing-the-port/

Just seen the results and I came in second place in my class. The 146.2 for 3rd, me at 146.8, and 1st was 153. something. Should I have gotten a trophy or something? Or is that only first place? I ended up having to leave early

93 Dodge Caravan

Sony 5.25 4ways(Dash)

8G AWG OFC Speaker Wire

My SPL labs meter was well worth the money for testing and tuning. Im not into competing but did go to local meets to meter for bragging rights.

2016 Focus ST3 - Rockford DSR1 / PPI 900.4 / Silverflute 6.5" mids / Massive CT2 tweeters /Sundown Xv2 15"/ Taramps DSP3k / Stinger Roadkill / KNU wiring / Northstar SMSAGM80 /

2010 Focus coupe 157@46hz

Pioneer 80prs /(8) FU Audio 750 12"s / (4) FSD 2600s / (1) FSD 125.4 / (1) FSD 85.4 / (4) Crescendo UN-10" mids / (4) Crescendo FT1 tweeters / Stinger Roadkill / 2/0 EB flex wire / (5) Powerware 90AH batteries / DC 270XP Alt /

https://www.youtube.com/popwarhomie

too many freq at once, burn the coil, we all know, over 40-50hz, its all coilburning material.

I don't think there was anyone their under 1500w and my amp is a 2k so I had to do that one I asked the USACI judge what i should run in and he said either the novice 1501-3k or the outlaw 5k no wall but that I probably would do better in the novice class. And it was metered on the kick panel passenger side with driver window all the way down. To me it seems louder barely cracked or closed but I guess I won't know till I get a meter. I got alot of air leakage from my hatch and side windows tho that I been working to reduce

Doesnt matter if no one is in that class, you enter and you are the only entry, you automatically get first place. Earn points and head to a higher tier like state nationals then get invited to nationals where you get to meet all the big names in car audio.

The judges like to push you to a class with more competitors just for the sake of entertainment, not really for the sake of having you win or do the the best you can do. Plenty of times where they tried that sh*t with me.

Just seen the results and I came in second place in my class. The 146.2 for 3rd, me at 146.8, and 1st was 153. something. Should I have gotten a trophy or something? Or is that only first place? I ended up having to leave early

yes they will hold your trophy or cert. but you do have one.

You should try and get your hands on a Synergy wfo 15.1 ... awesome underrated 1500 watt amp. Then you could drop down to the 0-1500 novice class, and probably have the same power you do now... OH, and did somebody mention,... GET A METER, and test,test,test ...??? lol ...

Refs;Bought from: Boomsday, special_k_1999, BAD_MAYEM, C1500Martin, roko, Michaellane

Sold to: sam_b03, Nate121, Smaxor5, Boomsday, unrealii, paulluap,technobass,gmc123

TN State Champion MECA MOD 4 - 2017, 2nd place World Finals - 2017

#Boominburban - Team OSC - Team FU Audio

Two JS Ult 300 amp alts - Battery delete under hood - 167ah of LTO Lithiums - 8 runs of 2/0 royal excelene

80 prs HU - PPI DSP -88R DSP - PPI E.7 EQ for fine tuning

Four PPI p600.2 on front stage - 4 CDT HD-M6's / 2 DS18 6.5 neopros / 2 Dayton Audio RS28 silk dome tweeters

Three Taramps 15k's on 6 FU Audio Team 15's

did you try moving your visors or seats at all?

Sometimes flipping the visor down can give you a tenth or two

2 sa8 spl's in a 31hz tapped horn

rd d9 run at 2ohm

stinger spv70 up front

kicker zx640.4

alpine type s comp up front

kicker ks 6x8's in rear

pioneer avh-3200bt

buncha 1/0 awg kicker

JeffDaChef

Hispls

I think I want to just go bigger... I was looking at the FU-2000 SPL series 18s, but I don't know what kinda amp would be ok for them. I have $1500 and was thinking 2 FU 2000spls and 2x SoundQubed S1-2250, which would come out to $1400, but idk if I could use the same box my 750s are in and I know I'll need probably another $200 worth of wire.. but I think that would get me over 155...

93 Dodge Caravan

Sony 5.25 4ways(Dash)

8G AWG OFC Speaker Wire

but I think that would get me over 155...

So doubling power you plan to gain almost 10dB? Good luck with that.

Bit optimistic? Lol idk, but I know I need to do more than just swap out for that stuff. Probably just work on getting my interior good and solid to be able to take more and get my electrical a bit more beefy to be able to handle and upgrade like that then think about what to upgrade too.

93 Dodge Caravan

Sony 5.25 4ways(Dash)

8G AWG OFC Speaker Wire

Caravans are extremely loud. They are the current ss nw boner in the USA right now.

Its just about being purpose built for a class more than anything. I can do 156 in novice 1500-3000, and i dont even care or test for usaci. But my build is very dialed in for db drag. Before you buy or change anything, decide which class you want to run, and build around those rules.

2 18s on a 2k should break 150 kick in its sleep. Especially in a caravan

Team Flex Issues

JVF Customz

REFS- Supergumby5000, Lastcall, 919motoring, hippishake, daboyfromdabx (great seller), beach22

JeffDaChef

Hispls

I think I want to just go bigger... I was looking at the FU-2000 SPL series 18s, but I don't know what kinda amp would be ok for them. I have $1500 and was thinking 2 FU 2000spls and 2x SoundQubed S1-2250, which would come out to $1400, but idk if I could use the same box my 750s are in and I know I'll need probably another $200 worth of wire.. but I think that would get me over 155...

it wont sorry to say. Its an uphill battle to get loud dude. Your current goal is to learn how to get loud with what you have. Break 150 db with your current setup first before you start swapping gear out like underwear. By then you'll have proper knowledge on how to get loud then when you actually do swap out, you wont be disappointed. Dont be like my loser friend that got high dollar everything that only broke a 151 db and didnt know why. Really learn how to get the most output out of your current setup, keep in the lower classes and take home some first place prizes first.

For you, build around the 0-1500 class because you'll just get slaughtered in the 1500-3000 or any class higher.

Bit optimistic? Lol idk, but I know I need to do more than just swap out for that stuff. Probably just work on getting my interior good and solid to be able to take more and get my electrical a bit more beefy to be able to handle and upgrade like that then think about what to upgrade too.

Again, Just do enough without having the judge put you into a higher class. The name of the game is to be a middle weight boxer fighting featherweights. You have that advantage of a big van and lots of cone area, abuse it.

Box Positioning, port adjustments and overall box experimentation will be the key to get 150db. Dont stick in the 1500-3000 class, not until you dominate the 0-1500 first. Thats my key advice for you. Slowly work your way up, doing a big jump without a good competing knowledge foundation is just a recipe for disaster and disappointment.

However if you are just upgrading for yourself and dont care about the competition then go right ahead. Just dont expect to do well against actual competitors.

it wont sorry to say. Its an uphill battle to get loud dude. Your current goal is to learn how to get loud with what you have. Break 150 db with your current setup first before you start swapping gear out like underwear. By then you'll have proper knowledge on how to get loud then when you actually do swap out, you wont be disappointed. Dont be like my loser friend that got high dollar everything that only broke a 151 db and didnt know why. Really learn how to get the most output out of your current setup, keep in the lower classes and take home some first place prizes first.

For you, build around the 0-1500 class because you'll just get slaughtered in the 1500-3000 or any class higher.

Again, Just do enough without having the judge put you into a higher class. The name of the game is to be a middle weight boxer fighting featherweights. You have that advantage of a big van and lots of cone area, abuse it.

Box Positioning, port adjustments and overall box experimentation will be the key to get 150db. Dont stick in the 1500-3000 class, not until you dominate the 0-1500 first. Thats my key advice for you. Slowly work your way up, doing a big jump without a good competing knowledge foundation is just a recipe for disaster and disappointment.

However if you are just upgrading for yourself and dont care about the competition then go right ahead. Just dont expect to do well against actual competitors.

For the most part it's really just to have fun and be loud. I had fun competing, but there isn't enough comps near me for it to be all about that. This van is my daily driver. Also I was reading the rules and I don't see any class lower than 1500-3k, come to think of it when I circled the event I wanted to run in it was the lowest one. But I think your are right to hold off on upgrading, atleast until I am more ready ya know like with a meter, got my current stuff to it's loudest, finish doing what I want to do to the interior. I'm imaging Car Audio to be like building horse power, the higher you get, the amount of money to gain numbers becomes exponential. I had a 77 Econoline running mid 13s in the quarter when I was younger, me and my dad built it.

Edit: Not too bad tho considering when I joined in Sept my van was packed with Dual and Pyle thinking I was loud lol I see why y'all gave me so much **** back then.

93 Dodge Caravan

Sony 5.25 4ways(Dash)

8G AWG OFC Speaker Wire

For the most part it's really just to have fun and be loud. I had fun competing, but there isn't enough comps near me for it to be all about that. This van is my daily driver. Also I was reading the rules and I don't see any class lower than 1500-3k, come to think of it when I circled the event I wanted to run in it was the lowest one. But I think your are right to hold off on upgrading, atleast until I am more ready ya know like with a meter, got my current stuff to it's loudest, finish doing what I want to do to the interior. I'm imaging Car Audio to be like building horse power, the higher you get, the amount of money to gain numbers becomes exponential. I had a 77 Econoline running mid 13s in the quarter when I was younger, me and my dad built it.

Edit: Not too bad tho considering when I joined in Sept my van was packed with Dual and Pyle thinking I was loud lol I see why y'all gave me so much **** back then.

Its cool if its just for personal enjoyment, go as big as you want.

this is right there in the rulebook.

Ukrpc9.jpg

Bit optimistic?

You'll see

2 18s on a 2k should break 150 kick in its sleep. Especially in a caravan

I think OP intends to be able to play music as well. Also from what I've been told Caravan windshields are good up beyond 170. If I ever come into some money for a dedicated SPL build I was leaning that direction myself.