First competition questions

How much different is that from sealed at the dash?

I shall await pictures of that.
I will definitely send that. I think I can do it... 3.2 dB... I haven't even tuned it at the deck or messed with the gains, my boost switch was 0dB octave and gain only about 35% up. Plus I have all that expanding foam and foil weather stripping tape, tightening door latches lubing weatherstripping... Etc plus there's more I can do I'm sure I could gain 3.2, but maybe not. Why you tryna doubt me lol... Supposed to root for me lol

i think hes just trying to say a 150 is optimistic

3.2db is more than doubling power and thats IF you have perfect everything.

not to say its not doable its just going to take some work.

and its not like a cracked windshield is going to help you...

Im curious.... the 153 someone did was at what frequency? If you are tuned to 32hz it's probably going to take a fair bit to even break 150db.

I will definitely send that. I think I can do it... 3.2 dB... I haven't even tuned it at the deck or messed with the gains, my boost switch was 0dB octave and gain only about 35% up. Plus I have all that expanding foam and foil weather stripping tape, tightening door latches lubing weatherstripping... Etc plus there's more I can do I'm sure I could gain 3.2, but maybe not. Why you tryna doubt me lol... Supposed to root for me lol
just keeping expectations low because you dont seem to realize how hard it is to gain dbs. If you do succeed then its great. But if you dont, dont sweat it, others have been through worse. Meter hurts feelings, just prepping you before hand haha.

Its hard to tell, but on 12cu, i feel like that box might be shy on port. Should be 180-200sq in total
I feel like I might have posted the wrong specs for it. I just redownloaded the box tune calculator and put in my messurements and I'm getting a 20ft³ box with 19ft³ after displacement and a port displacement that is more around what your saying because I had had a few different designs the original design was 14ft³ but then I think I wanted to make it almost 10ft³ per sub so I expanded it out and bunch. When it gets light out I'll go remeasure everything cuz I swear it was 14ft³ but 48"x30"x28" is making a bigger box than that

I posted it here, I have alot of it on my profile on imgur.https://imgur.com/gallery/Y9RUw

And the 153.4 was at 60hrz

Also just got a USB SPLab meter
So, looking at that box, I'd say you've got a long road to 150 with what you have. Apart from probably too-low tuning there's no obvious problems. If you can add another baffle and flush mount that should gain, if not remove the gaskets from those subs and use gorilla tape around the edges. Rounding over the mouth of the port may help, and of course experiment with position if you can shift it front and back a bit.

just keeping expectations low because you dont seem to realize how hard it is to gain dbs. If you do succeed then its great. But if you dont, dont sweat it, others have been through worse. Meter hurts feelings, just prepping you before hand haha.
Pretty much this.

Why you tryna doubt me lol... Supposed to root for me lol
I'm in your corner here, but you're setting yourself up for a big disappointment if you think you're going to move the visor, open the glove box, add a little duct tape and gain 3.2dB from where you're sitting. Odds are half the stuff you plan to try will lose instead of gain and if you want to be able to play music and stay in amateur class you'll have some extra limitations.

but 48"x30"x28" is making a bigger box than that
Indeed. Should be 16 cube after displacement assuming your port is adequate.

I posted it here, I have alot of it on my profile on imgur.https://imgur.com/gallery/Y9RUw

And the 153.4 was at 60hrz

Also just got a USB SPLab meter
Try to make a device to hold the meter and consistently place it in the same area, and use the same placement of the organization you're building for. Also doesnt hurt to do testing in other areas of the vehicle too. Sealed on the dash location is a good standard to use- iirc it's 12 inches over from the a pillar and 5 inches from the base of the windsheild.

When youre testing you can try this for gains: open glovebox, close glovebox, move seats fore and aft, tilt seatbacks, move headrests, move sunvisors, windows up and down, different doors open and closed, drivers side vs pass side, move box around in the back, with or without a person in the seats etc. Some of those might gain a few tenths, some might loose tenths, you never know.

Try to make a device to hold the meter and consistently place it in the same area, and use the same placement of the organization you're building for. Also doesnt hurt to do testing in other areas of the vehicle too. Sealed on the dash location is a good standard to use- iirc it's 12 inches over from the a pillar and 5 inches from the base of the windsheild.
When youre testing you can try this for gains: open glovebox, close glovebox, move seats fore and aft, tilt seatbacks, move headrests, move sunvisors, windows up and down, different doors open and closed, drivers side vs pass side, move box around in the back, with or without a person in the seats etc. Some of those might gain a few tenths, some might loose tenths, you never know.
I'll add to this by saying that door or windows open will vary by degrees. Window 1/3 the way down will be different than 1/2 way down and door open just a few inches, vs. halfway open, vs, open all the way may be different. Once you actually get loud you'll need to really hold onto the door if you have it only open by a foot since it'll want to **** itself closed when you burp.

May want to keep a notebook so you can keep track of what you've done and what does what.

Heck yeah, thanks for all the advice everyone, and yea I understand what y'all mean bout not setting myself up for failure. Probably won't be all crazy into competitions except for local ones, but all is really good information to have. I just like loud stuff wether it be a concert, drag races, car shows, plane shows monster trucks if it's loud and moves I enjoy it lol. Will definitely keep a notebook too

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.