First competition questions

Heck yeah, thanks for all the advice everyone, and yea I understand what y'all mean bout not setting myself up for failure. Probably won't be all crazy into competitions except for local ones, but all is really good information to have. I just like loud stuff wether it be a concert, drag races, car shows, plane shows monster trucks if it's loud and moves I enjoy it lol. Will definitely keep a notebook too
To find the resonance of your vehicle run a sine sweep at around half volume with a sub in a sealed box. The loudest frequency is the ideal freq you want to burp at.

I feel like I might have posted the wrong specs for it. I just redownloaded the box tune calculator and put in my messurements and I'm getting a 20ft³ box with 19ft³ after displacement and a port displacement that is more around what your saying because I had had a few different designs the original design was 14ft³ but then I think I wanted to make it almost 10ft³ per sub so I expanded it out and bunch. When it gets light out I'll go remeasure everything cuz I swear it was 14ft³ but 48"x30"x28" is making a bigger box than that
That's roughly 23.33 cu ft gross.

just keeping expectations low because you dont seem to realize how hard it is to gain dbs. If you do succeed then its great. But if you dont, dont sweat it, others have been through worse. Meter hurts feelings, just prepping you before hand haha.
Hey Jeff ever since I put that HU you recommended when I turn it up to 32 of 35 (volume) where I know it's too high the amp just cuts out. Doesn't go into protection, it is just completely turning off like maybe the HU is has some type clipping protection and if you get it clipping to bad it kills power with the amp remote wire. Cuz my voltmeter turns off too when this happens... Or is my amp damaged somehow? It's been doing this since I put the HU. And it seems to work to save my stuff because I have only been able to stink my subs up twice with the new HU when my old one would do it all the time if I wasn't careful

To find the resonance of your vehicle run a sine sweep at around half volume with a sub in a sealed box. The loudest frequency is the ideal freq you want to burp at.
I really wanna build a 1/3 forth order for these. Frank at FU said that his subs perform best in 4th order designs. When I first started I was deadset on a forth order but it was explained that with out a meter to find the resonance of my sealed section making a ported section to the right spec would be a fail. How would I find the resonance freq of a sealed section of a box? Sry if this is too complex a question to explain through text

I really wanna build a 1/3 forth order for these. Frank at FU said that his subs perform best in 4th order designs. When I first started I was deadset on a forth order but it was explained that with out a meter to find the resonance of my sealed section making a ported section to the right spec would be a fail. How would I find the resonance freq of a sealed section of a box? Sry if this is too complex a question to explain through text
You want to know what the res freq of the vehicle is, not so much the box itself. You design the box to peak at the vehicles res frequency to maximize the transfer function of the vehicle. A 3:1 ratio 4th order would be enormous for 2 18s. Make sure you have the room for it.

Hey Jeff ever since I put that HU you recommended when I turn it up to 32 of 35 (volume) where I know it's too high the amp just cuts out. Doesn't go into protection, it is just completely turning off like maybe the HU is has some type clipping protection and if you get it clipping to bad it kills power with the amp remote wire. Cuz my voltmeter turns off too when this happens... Or is my amp damaged somehow? It's been doing this since I put the HU. And it seems to work to save my stuff because I have only been able to stink my subs up twice with the new HU when my old one would do it all the time if I wasn't careful
Loose connection or short somewhere along the lines of remote wire. It shouldnt be an amp issue. Check all your head unit wiring.

Loose connection or short somewhere along the lines of remote wire. It shouldnt be an amp issue. Check all your head unit wiring.
I have, the only thing different from stock wiring is the acc. power and reg. power because the original radio acc. and reg power didn't work. So I tapped into the cigarette lighter and hatch pop switch. I have to power the HU off and back on to get it back on, if I don't change the volume and just reset it, it plays for a few seconds and amp shuts off again. Could it possibly be voltage drop causing it to do this? It hardly ever drops below 13v tho normally stays around 14v but when this happens it is dropping into the 12s I just noticed. The guys who I bought the stinger voltage meter from said they weren't very accurate tho. When I pull it apart to move my I've my volt meter and put my Bluetooth mic in I'll check again. I'm wondering if one of the of the copper winding things inside the amp is grounding itself out but it's weird cuz wouldn't the protect light go on instread if no power at all

I have, the only thing different from stock wiring is the acc. power and reg. power because the original radio acc. and reg power didn't work. So I tapped into the cigarette lighter and hatch pop switch. I have to power the HU off and back on to get it back on, if I don't change the volume and just reset it, it plays for a few seconds and amp shuts off again. Could it possibly be voltage drop causing it to do this? It hardly ever drops below 13v tho normally stays around 14v but when this happens it is dropping into the 12s I just noticed. The guys who I bought the stinger voltage meter from said they weren't very accurate tho. When I pull it apart to move my I've my volt meter and put my Bluetooth mic in I'll check again. I'm wondering if one of the of the copper winding things inside the amp is grounding itself out but it's weird cuz wouldn't the protect light go on instread if no power at all
This has nothing to do with your voltage.

you might want a proper remote wire run. to the fuse box or something. If its a short somewhere the amp will go into protect, if its a voltage issue, the amp will go into protect. However this is just purely the amp turning off completely which is remote related.

Can I use one of those tap fuses that has wire coming off of it and put a switch in the line for my remote wire instead of using the remote wire off the radio. So I can **** my amp off when ever I want quickly. Is that what you were trying to say minus the switch?

Can I use one of those tap fuses that has wire coming off of it and put a switch in the line for my remote wire instead of using the remote wire off the radio. So I can **** my amp off when ever I want quickly. Is that what you were trying to say minus the switch?
yeah you can do an on off switch as well

You want to know what the res freq of the vehicle is, not so much the box itself. You design the box to peak at the vehicles res frequency to maximize the transfer function of the vehicle. A 3:1 ratio 4th order would be enormous for 2 18s. Make sure you have the room for it.
Did you see the pics of his box. He has all kinds of space.

As far as the amp turning off, you can simply jump the +12 into the amp right to the rem+ and see if have the same problem. This would rule out a few things.

that caravan looks a bit like my minivan in the middle of the first pic here, only a bit larger... great job at your show! As said already - testing, testing, and more testing is the key to this stupid spl game //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

#VANLIFE

20171008_164129_zps0xh1azwx.jpg

20170724_130531_zpsasd2qcem.jpg

that caravan looks a bit like my minivan in the middle of the first pic here, only a bit larger... great job at your show! As said already - testing, testing, and more testing is the key to this stupid spl game //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
#VANLIFE

When am I going to see some neo numbers? Didn't you get a better number out of those 3 12s? Why isn't that in a gif?

Speaking of which, the Jeep will be parked here probably through April and I do have that 2 15's box in the garage so if you wanted to use any of that while I'm out of town help yourself, just let me know to tell the neighbors you're coming and not to shoot at you. Might could grab the two broken amps and get them up to Ethan either.

I will want those 12s back when I get back this spring. I'd like to test the civic with one of these Shocker amps and see what's up with that... might even take it to a show this year if I can get the doors tightened up.

#VANLIFE

Thank you very much, and yep testing testing testing lol... My the meter I order just shipped out this morning so I'll be doing a ton of testing when it comes. I'ma make the neighbors hate me! Jk, I'm not a jerk with my system.

#VANLIFE

Added another 100aH gel battery, been testing a bit since my meter came and I cant get over 148.6 at 40hrz but that was only messing around last night but without doing quite a bit more I think that's loud as it gets until I recone my subs anyway. One of them is starting to bottom out when I turn it up loud so I think the spider may have failed

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.