NSTALN

Enough port area?

I'm planning on building a ported enclosure for a singe Audiomobile MASS 12....the box will be 2 cubes tuned around 26hz. The subs xmax is 20mm and I'll only be feeding it 600rms. The plan is to use a 5inch PVC pipe for the port. The port will be glassed into the sidewalls of the enclosure and will be rounded (3/4 round-over bit) at both ends. The area for a 5inch PVC pipe is 19.63 inches/sq...general rule is 8-12 per cube...this puts me at just about the middle of that range. WINISD model shows max port velocity is 22m/s @ 23hz.

I know some of you folks are quite good with the ported designs...do you think that will be sufficient?

Thoughts/suggestions?

Build Logz, check em out:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/634311-nstalns-build-logz.html#post8918473

Factory HU - Alpine PXA-H800/RUX - 2 x JL Audio HD900/5's - Audiofrog GB10's - Audiofrog GB25's - Audiofrog GS 690's - Audiofrog GB2510 Crossovers - 2 x Audiomobile MASS 2012's

Is this for you, or someone else?

97 4 dr. Tahoe

Interstate battery

Alpine 9835

Polk Audio MM6501 comps

Wolfram amps coming soon, 3000.1, 125.4

2 Sundown Audio X 15's Tuned @ 30Hz.

Knukonceptz/Royal Excelene wiring

Is this for you, or someone else?

Yup...mine

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/634311-nstalns-build-logz.html#post8918473

Factory HU - Alpine PXA-H800/RUX - 2 x JL Audio HD900/5's - Audiofrog GB10's - Audiofrog GB25's - Audiofrog GS 690's - Audiofrog GB2510 Crossovers - 2 x Audiomobile MASS 2012's

Yup...mine

I see. Switchin' it up from the sealed dept. or....?

97 4 dr. Tahoe

Interstate battery

Alpine 9835

Polk Audio MM6501 comps

Which driver do you have?.. I'm trying to look at it too and I'm getting something different

Which driver do you have?.. I'm trying to look at it too and I'm getting something different

It's in the 1st post!!

97 4 dr. Tahoe

Interstate battery

Alpine 9835

Polk Audio MM6501 comps

It's in the 1st post!!

I think there are different ones... at least that is what I'm reading online... not sure tho...

Audiomobile MASS 2012 dual 4ohm

s: 23.6 Hz

Qms: 6.13

Qes: 0.43

Qts: 0.40

Vas: 2.8 cubic feet

Re: 1.58 ohms

BL: 19.8

Le: .50 mh

Xmax: 20 mm

Sensitivity: 89.6 dB

101vmjw.jpg

EghjU84.jpg

I see. Switchin' it up from the sealed dept. or....?

I'm always switchin $hit up...I've been itching to build a low tuned ported box for one of these subs. My sealed 12's sound good...but to really get them going I have to crank it up a bit and it starts to strain my electrical...so I wanna try the more efficient ported enclosure.

Crazy low inductance on those things. Why are you tuning so low? I'd tune a little higher to get more spl, like 28-30hz.

giphy.gif

I think there are different ones... at least that is what I'm reading online... not sure tho...

Nah, they were an online company only. Couldn't buy them in any store at all.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

I'm always switchin $hit up...I've been itching to build a low tuned ported box for one of these subs. My sealed 12's sound good...but to really get them going I have to crank it up a bit and it starts to strain my electrical...so I wanna try the more efficient ported enclosure.

I see. Did you upgrade your electrical?

97 4 dr. Tahoe

Interstate battery

Alpine 9835

Polk Audio MM6501 comps

Crazy low inductance on those things. Why are you tuning so low? I'd tune a little higher to get more spl, like 28-30hz.

I may move up to 28hz...I'm willing to give up some output for a lower response...and these subs just beg to be played low.

I'll be running a pair in my HT system and they will be 2-2.5 cubes tuned at 25...I was just thinking of keeping the box the same for my truck which is why I was initially thunking 25-26hz.

I'm planning on building a ported enclosure for a singe Audiomobile MASS 12....the box will be 2 cubes tuned around 26hz. The subs xmax is 20mm and I'll only be feeding it 600rms. The plan is to use a 5inch PVC pipe for the port. The port will be glassed into the sidewalls of the enclosure and will be rounded (3/4 round-over bit) at both ends. The area for a 5inch PVC pipe is 19.63 inches/sq...general rule is 8-12 per cube...this puts me at just about the middle of that range. WINISD model shows max port velocity is 22m/s @ 23hz.

I know some of you folks are quite good with the ported designs...do you think that will be sufficient?

Thoughts/suggestions?

Is this the driver in the Winisd database?... cause this is what I'm seeing... IDK why?.. Look at the port length to get to that tune with a 5" Round!

QM7NZl.jpg

QEekTL.jpg

Is this the driver in the Winisd database?... cause this is what I'm seeing... IDK why?.. Look at the port length to get to that tune with a 5" Round!

QM7NZl.jpg

QEekTL.jpg

I can accommodate that port length.

That's a pretty lengthly port...lol

97 4 dr. Tahoe

Interstate battery

Alpine 9835

Polk Audio MM6501 comps

Looks like they have a 3 inch coil, I've seen conflicting power ratings, are they 600rms or 1k?

If they are 1k rms I would up the box size to 2.25-2.5cf.

giphy.gif

This is what I got for rear port velocity... on 600 watts input... it's more port area than I would use personally for a single 12 on 600 watts... but I don't tune that low... lol... 26hz... I just don't like the curve I'm seeing for frequency response... IDK... I wouldn't trust my results... Ima' gonna keep lookin' at it... you got me stumped on this one... I'm gonna say Jeffdacheff or Papermaker or someone will come along and help...

70HQgO.jpg

i'd tune at 33 hz still play low but be louder and have lot shorter port., or based on the 22m/s port velocity maybe go with 4" instead.

KENWOOD X301 HU, PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000, FU 750 12, 2.1cfad ported, soundqubed 6.5" coax/doors, hp & lp xover on hu, AGM starting batt...

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now