Sundown SD3-10’s Enclosure suggestion needed

Sleepy111

New to the forum here and behind on current audio stuff. Was into big systems years ago but been out of it so long it has all changed so much it’s like starting over somewhat. I am looking to possibly change my box to add another sub and need input on sectioning new box off or not.

Right now:

3 Sundown Audio SD3-10 dual 2 ohm subs in a sealed common chamber behind the back seat of a Toyota Tundra crewman. It is being pushed with a Sundown Audio SCV-3000 amp wired to 1.4 ohm. Crossover is set around 80hz, bass boost is at 0. I can’t get it “just right” and am curious if I should add another sub with building a new box with it built for 2 per chamber? Box in here now was built at 2.2 cf and no polyfill added. With the hu’s that are out it does not help the tuning situation with all the stupid settings, level outputs, source level and etc. Makes it way more complicated than what I’m use to.

I listen to everything from rock, country new and old school rap and will throw on ole bass cd’s just to bring back the good old day remeberance too. Back in those days i had a mintruck with 8 JL 15’s all on good old hifonics amps and it was unbelievable. I know with 10’s it is not going to be nothing like then nor hit as low or deep as 12’s or 15’s especially with the SD subs being somewhat shallow mount and inverted cones. They do pretty good, maybe I am just expecting more or to much from them. Of course songs on the radio, cd’s, Sirius and ipod all sound different so for tuning I use cd’s. Turning the gain down to much then makes it seem like it doesn’t have the output volume it should have.These subs do move with the power they are being fed but doesn’t seem to have enough sound for the amount they are moving. It will clip some at times and on some songs sudden hard notes will kick the amp. I have been using the bass knob on the amp but just unplugged it this week to see how it would be without it and tune accordingly. It isn’t close yet. I have an optima battery in factory location and wired with all 0 gauge wire for power and ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to say. Coming from 8 15s to 3 10s is definitely different. Maybe you are expecting too much. Have you had a chance to compare it too someone else’s truck with a system? I have 2 shallow 10s in mine, they sound good but I wouldn’t call it loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might try a smaller box. That box seems much too big for 3 sd3 10s. They recommend .5 a sub and I know for a fact the 12s like smaller than the recommended 1 cut.

I don't doubt the 10s are the same. Maybe put some blocks in the enclosure to shrink it and test it out?

yeah u may have went to big for sub air space.. try messing with hu settings #1 try sub phase., even sub volume on hu if u have one and it's at 0 turn it to 3 on at 1/2 hu volume see if that sounds better.. u may have some cabin cancellation., truck cabs can **** some times..

I’ll have to find my measurement sheet I cut it from but I figured it out to be as close to .61 per sub when built, sub disp is .11. I have room to add a 4th one and going ahead with the plan to do so. Just have to decide if I need or want to do 4 separate chambers or 2 with 2 per chamb. Im not opposed to going the ported route but just have to figure what port specs would need to be since it is a small area.

Here is my setup right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
These subs are designed primarily for sealed enclosures, has anyone seen or heard any that were in a ported box?
They sound great but you have to be careful with the power. I know Sundown offered some rebuilt SD3 that used SA soft parts that were more built for ported enclosures.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.