Sound Receiver too Sensitive. Cover with which Materials?

Participant count
  • Participant list

latlog7

So I have this cheap-o sound receiver from eBay that makes LED light strips light up to sound. It works well, but it tends to be way too sensitive for my liking. I was going to just wrap the thing in masking tape, but ideally I want to wrap the receiver in a material that will absorb/deaden/attenuate mid and high frequency sound waves. (so that the lights can flash to the beat)

Reading this AWESOME write-up, i found that rigid fiberglass would likely be the best bet. I really suggest you read it if you have the time and want to learn some stuff.

Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms

But this stuff seems to be kind of expensive. Way too expensive for my cheap china led controller in my car. (its about 6"x3"x2" by the way)

Does anybody know/ have any ideas on what may sorta kinda work well?

Im not looking for anything professional. Just looking to layer on some cheap stuff.

Duct tape? Paper? Saran-wrap? Generic foam? Thick layers of paint? Mixture of some of these?

Any and all input is fully welcomed

I would tell you to go kill yourself but I would not want a manslaughter charge.

You want lights that turn on to the beat, will you be listening to that while flicking your fidget spinner?

Please make sure you have the largest wing that you can order from Autozone along with at least two stick on hood scoops.

Ride on dog, you bad ***!

I would tell you to go kill yourself but I would not want a manslaughter charge.

You want lights that turn on to the beat, will you be listening to that while flicking your fidget spinner?

Please make sure you have the largest wing that you can order from Autozone along with at least two stick on hood scoops.

WOW!... Enuff' said!

Wtf. I just think it would be cool if accent lights pulsed a little bit to the music. You might think it would be a nuisance or whatever, but I for some strange reason think it would be cool. To each their own. Grow up a bit.

Some tin foil?... don't forget your head!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

recievers generate heat and the body of the reciever is a heat sink. When you wrap it with anything you are trapping heat and heat is the number 1 killer of electronics.
Ill definitely be sure to watch for any heat. If that body gets warm, ill assume the circuit board is probably hotter

isn't their a pot on it for sensitivity adjustment?
wrap it in cloth until you get the result you are looking for.
There is a sensitivity dial, but it doesn't seem to do much either way. Good idea, Ill just wrap it in cloth and heed Jeffdachef's warning. Thanks man!

There is a sensitivity dial, but it doesn't seem to do much either way. Good idea, Ill just wrap it in cloth and heed Jeffdachef's warning. Thanks man!
Dont mind these guys, they give everyone a hard time, me, and each other included. Its the nature of the beast to protect against the stupid. One could argue car audio in general is stupid but we love it and its why we are here. Im drunk and idk what your talking about but tis all good!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.