2003 Civic Sedan - Looking for 150

TRaGiK
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Not a lot of pics at the moment, as I didn't really intend on this being a real build initially.

Been needing a cheap beater car that doesn't kill me on gas like my Tahoe does, so picked this up for $250. Yes, $250. Had to replace the cylinder head due to a broke timing belt, and a few other things as well. But car was otherwise in good condition.

Originally, all I wanted was to take the Sundown SA-15 and SAE-1000 amp out of my Tahoe, and put it in here...which is what I did. Had a local shop build a box for me. 3 cubes @ 33hz.

I was happy with it...until curiosity got the best of me, and I had it metered (Termlab). It did a 139.9. Sealed or in the kick with the door open didn't matter. 139.9 was it. If it'd have done a 137.xx or a 140.0, I'd have called it good and been happy....but the 39.9 gave me the bug to shoot for another .1.

Soooo...

Picked up a DC Audio Level 4 15 and a DC 2.0k. Ran a run of 1/0 CCA wire, swapped out the underhood 51R battery for a Autocraft (Advance Auto brand) Group 34 AGM and added one in the trunk as well.

Back on the meter and got a 143.6 sealed and a 145.1 outlaw. This big of a gain made me want to shoot for higher numbers, and got me to thinking about 150.

Ordered and installed a XL recone for the Level 4, with a d1.4 coil, wiring to .7 ohms. Put maybe 4 hours of play time on it, and went back to the meter.

With NO other changes other than the recone, I went from a 143.6 sealed to 144.9, and from 145.1 outlaw to a 146.5. I couldn't, and still can't hardly believe I got that much of a gain. I was HOPING for maybe a .5 gain, and expecting .3. But got 1.3 and 1.4 gain.

Still not good enough, I'm redoing the entire setup. Doing a new box. 3 cubes @ 32hz, but doing port/sub forward and sealing off the trunk, new 1/0 OFC wire, new RCA's, new amp rack and moving both amps to the rear, new mids/highs amp, moving battery to a different spot, etc. Tearing it down this weekend and will start putting it back together. Going to see how close to 150 I can get with the box change.

^Ugly wiring will be made less ugly when I rewire it all.

Complete list of stuff

-DC Level 4 15 w/ XL upgrades

-DC 2.0k amp

-DC 90.4 amp going in during rebuild (currently a Execution Audio 60.4)

-Crescendo Symphony Components going in (currently Nendo Symphony 6.5 Coaxials)

-Pioneer AVH-4800BS deck

Currently have the stock 70 amp alt, which hates me. Likely to be upgrading to a Singer in the near future. Until then, keeping a close eye on the voltmeter.

Been extremely happy with the gains I got so far. Won't be happy until I get 150 though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

This is the build logs subforum, no? Just posting the log. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Oh...well the title in your thread looking for 150 which lead me to think ok this person is looking for suggestions/ideas to get 150+.

Btw, the shop that built your enclosure, what did that cost ya?

Yeah, I realized that after I replied. My mistake. Tips and advice are welcome for sure, but wasn't asking for it at this time.

Enclosure was around $250.

New enclosure design was done by CAF, and a carpenter friend of mine is cutting everything out for me. I'll assemble myself.

I'm pleased with it for the money. Well built (45s in the corners), double baffled on the sub, and braced. Can't complain much about it, and especially happy with the numbers it's given me.

I WISH I could do boxes myself entirely, but I'm world's worst carpenter. I spend less time cursing when I pay someone else to do that part of the build.

It's really easy. I just bought clamps for the 1st time. I've built many boxes w/o any. Just basically used my bare hands to hold pieces together then glue-n-screw.

Oh gotcha.

Gotta have a good tablesaw with a good fence otherwise your cuts will have a taper to them. Hope you know what a taper is....one edge will be right on the money and the other edge could be smallish.

Will be making a t-line enclosure for a single 8" sub this year. A build log will be coming with it.

There was a guy up my way who used to do 150 and change out of a trunk civic on single 15. Sealed trunk sub and port forward... he ran various 5K amps and auditioned many different 15s. I think you'll want to tune a bit higher if you want to see 150, definitely so if you don't plan to get a bigger amp.

I don't know why I didn't think of doing an aero port for this, but I didn't. That may have to be the next box I do for it, depending on how good/bad the one that I'm doing now is. The wheels are already in motion for this box, so...

I also realize I'm tuned pretty low for SPL, but I've been pleased with the gains I've got so far, with the low tuning. It's also a daily driver, so musical is a must. Aero port would fix that so I could have both.

Also, I'd be happy with a 150 outlaw score.

I DO have a questions about cabin frequency. This car seems to change every time I meter it. With the SA-15 I originally had in it, it peaked at 42hz IIRC. When I switched to the DC Lv 4, it peaked at 52. Now with the XL recone on the Lv 4, it peaks at 45. Same box and box position in every case. Is this normal? I'm not a total newb with car audio, but metering is a new thing to me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.