no one seems to answer. shallow sub help

eight08jason

hawaii
Update- someone said just go with 1 8". Just as good

What's up peEps.. I'm looking to get 1 12" shallow sub with box. Pre-made box I guess so it can fit under the rear passenger seat of my 2015 silverado crew Cab. I first saw the rockford but after hearing the kenwood excelon in its little single mounted box I was impressed and unless the pioneer ts-sw3002s4 is better then that's what I'll be getting.*

Would like to hear what you guys think or suggest on the matter.*

Thanks...*

Prefab boxes sound terrible regardless, if your not willing to have a box made then buy a DD pre-enclosed sub.

A ported 8 would blow a shallow prefab 12 out of the water.

Doesn't SSA make a shallow 12? If that's what you really want then have at it. 2 ported 8s take up what, like 1 cube? It's not all about cone size. Shallow 12s have what? 5mm of one way throw? Go with the sub that offers a stronger motor and much more xmax. It'll sound better and be louder.

If you have to have a 12 then this probably isn't a bad option. But again, you're talking about a 12 on 400 watts as opposed to 2 8s on 1000.

DCON 12 Sound Solutions Audio 12" 400W DCON Series Subwoofer - SSA STORE

Doesn't SSA make a shallow 12? If that's what you really want then have at it. 2 ported 8s take up what, like 1 cube? It's not all about cone size. Shallow 12s have what? 5mm of one way throw? Go with the sub that offers a stronger motor and much more xmax. It'll sound better and be louder.

If you have to have a 12 then this probably isn't a bad option. But again, you're talking about a 12 on 400 watts as opposed to 2 8s on 1000.

DCON 12 Sound Solutions Audio 12" 400W DCON Series Subwoofer - SSA STORE
I have 2 8's under seat of 04 ext cab and I'm running around 2k on them in 2cu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They right, I have 2 sundown 8s ported under my back seat and a buddy runs 2 cvr 12s in a prefab box and gets quite disappointed in his system every time he rides with me. Says it's stupid how much better the 8s sound and how much harder they hit.

A single 8 on low power in a 1-2cuft box is better then 2 8's in a 2 cuft box on low power.

You can shrink the box the higher your power gets.

So a 8 in a .75 cuft box with 2.5-3k would really give some good bass.

Its all in the enclosure. In reality 4 8's will fit under the seat.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

Look at www.supercrewsound.com for a pre-made box that fits your truck. These aren't your typical "pre-fab" boxes. Good quality stuff there.

Have a look at the new Sundown Audio SD3 "shallowish" subs. The 10's and 12's are available; the 8 is still under development. I have two of the 10's behind the rear seat of my crew cab F250 in about .6 cuft each and they sound amazing. Lots of punch and will get pretty low for a 10 in a small sealed box. Running them at a final 2 ohm load on a JBL GTO1001EZ.

I helped my son put a 12 in his F150 regular cab behind the seat. We built a 1 cuft sealed box for it and it will hit very low and gets very loud. Its running off of a 600 watt Sundown Audio monoblock at 1 ohm.

Look at www.supercrewsound.com for a pre-made box that fits your truck. These aren't your typical "pre-fab" boxes. Good quality stuff there.
Have a look at the new Sundown Audio SD3 "shallowish" subs. The 10's and 12's are available; the 8 is still under development. I have two of the 10's behind the rear seat of my crew cab F250 in about .6 cuft each and they sound amazing. Lots of punch and will get pretty low for a 10 in a small sealed box. Running them at a final 2 ohm load on a JBL GTO1001EZ.

I helped my son put a 12 in his F150 regular cab behind the seat. We built a 1 cuft sealed box for it and it will hit very low and gets very loud. Its running off of a 600 watt Sundown Audio monoblock at 1 ohm.
Ehhh if you want to get loud get a ported enclosure from cscstang it will cost the same if not less than the prefab mdf boxes you will get from supercrew... And your box will be made of lightweight Baltic birch and be far more stronger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A single 8 on low power in a 1-2cuft box is better then 2 8's in a 2 cuft box on low power.
No.

You can shrink the box the higher your power gets.

No.

So a 8 in a .75 cuft box with 2.5-3k would really give some good bass.

No 8" woofer is capable of handling 2.5-3k daily.

Its all in the enclosure. In reality 4 8's will fit under the seat.

There are shallow mounts in existence that rival the performance of their traditional counterparts. You just have to be willing to spend the money.

I will agree that *if* you can get 8's firing forward that that is a better option than up or downfiring 12's.

There are shallow mounts in existence that rival the performance of their traditional counterparts. You just have to be willing to spend the money.
I will agree that *if* you can get 8's firing forward that that is a better option than up or downfiring 12's.
Example like the DD SW2508 can handle upto 3200 watts on a burp and upto 800 watts continuous, "if" there specs are correct.

So in a small, but acceptable spl enclosure that sub can do 2-2.5k daily.

To big of an enclosure would bottom it out.

Example like the DD SW2508 can handle upto 3200 watts on a burp and upto 800 watts continuous, "if" there specs are correct.
So in a small, but acceptable spl enclosure that sub can do 2-2.5k daily.

To big of an enclosure would bottom it out.

Both thermal and mechanical limits have to be taken into consideration. You can't just beat on a 2 inch voice coil with 3k watts.

Both thermal and mechanical limits have to be taken into consideration. You can't just beat on a 2 inch voice coil with 3k watts.
Yeah, thats why i explained the point of bottoming out and such.

If you arent throwing 100% decaf songs or burps daily then the mechanical limit shouldnt be an issue on normal music. It can become an issue on longer bass notes or deep notes.

The larger the box the faster you will hit mechanical limits, the smaller the box then thermal limits come into play.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.