What electrical needed for Taramps HD 8000

Participant count
  • Participant list

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
Hey, I need to know in the next few days. What electrical is needed to run a Taramps HD8000? I currently have an XS D3100 and 320 amp alternator. I have all Sky high OFC 0 gauge cable.

It will be running a DD Z series at 1 ohm nominal.

I will immediately have $500 for extra electrical upgrades. One week later I will have between $400 and $500 more.

I think I will first upgrade to Sky High 2/0 (double zero gauge) ofc.

Before you say to just add more D3100's, the only place I can put them will be further away from the amp than the stock battery location. From my current D3100 to the amp, there is about 3 feet of power wire. If I added more batteries in my trunk, there would be at least 8 feet of wire. Does this make a difference? I know you want to have batteries as close to the amp as possible.

I can take pics later, but I don't think I have enough room for dual alts (although I would like to).

I currently have A Banda Viking 5000. Is it even worth upgrading?

@Boomsday; @shizzzon;

With the setup you have now, you shouldn't be dropping below 13.6v with proper wiring.

Assuming that's true, upgrading to an HD8000 will still only suggest 1-2 D3100s in the rear and 1 D3100 is still adequate.

If you need anything, pm us.

With the setup you have now, you shouldn't be dropping below 13.6v with proper wiring.
Assuming that's true, upgrading to an HD8000 will still only suggest 1-2 D3100s in the rear and 1 D3100 is still adequate.

If you need anything, pm us.
13.6 is the lowest I drop to when idling. I don't drop below 14 when driving.

Will it make much of a difference adding a battery bank further from the amp? I'd rather not get more batteries if I don't have to

From what i mentioned, you will not need to, especially since you are not dropping below 14v.
Ok, I knew it was efficient, but I like to be safe. I'd rather not destroy over two grand worth of sub/amp.

I'll PM you, I want to buy an HD 8000

I can run a Viking 7k with a 250a alt and 1 g31 in the rear with 2 runs of pos and 2 runs of neg and won't drop below 13.6 full tilt demoing. Js

I can run a Viking 7k with a 250a alt and 1 g31 in the rear with 2 runs of pos and 2 runs of neg and won't drop below 13.6 full tilt demoing. Js
I remembered you ran Banda, so I figured I'd ask your opinion too.

Would it be worth it to upgrade from the Viking 5000 to the HD 8000?

With a soft clip on the Banda, the coil got smelly. Turns out, it has a 3" coil.

I may try to run the HD 8000 with no clip at all

Tbh. Straight drop in the Banda 7k was .3db louder and sounded better on music. Has a much better daily friendly crossover section.

Tbh. Straight drop in the Banda 7k was .3db louder and sounded better on music. Has a much better daily friendly crossover section.
You swapped the Banda for the Taramps and got louder?

I may get the Banda 7k if they're in stock!

Yes but if u use oversized you will have to trim it down
I don't understand how they can get 8400 watts out of wire rated at 300 amps..

I think I've decided on the Banda. What sub(s) are you pushing? I have a little more alternator, so I should be fine if you have no issues.

Also, can you please tell me how long it is? I have limited length in my amp mounting location.

Well you won't ever for 2 reasons.

One, it is prohibited to wire any full bridge amplifier below stable load for sustained use.

Two, the internal fuse on the Banda will blow if attempting to put out too much power.

You will have to take apart the amplifier to replace.

As a general rule of them to go by for music, if your subs DCR is rated lower than it's nominal impedance rating is, then look at what the amplifier is rated for at 2x it's lowest stable load.

In this case,

Banda- 5,100w

Taramps- 5,250w

I am not comparing voltage above 12.6v because your setup is not capable of handling such output based on your electrical system.

I don't understand how they can get 8400 watts out of wire rated at 300 amps..
I think I've decided on the Banda. What sub(s) are you pushing? I have a little more alternator, so I should be fine if you have no issues.

Also, can you please tell me how long it is? I have limited length in my amp mounting location.
300amps @20ft

More amps the shorter it is

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.