Capacitor Problem?

DJDroc22

Hey everyone! Okay jumping right into it. I bought a Power Acoustik 5 Farad capacitor and watched plenty of videos and diagrams so I knew I was hooking it up right. First of all i took out my fuse under the hood so theres no power.I installed the capacitor with in 18" inches of amp. Connected my ground cable to my amp mount bolt which I have cleaned of any paint. I ran my power wire from my amp to the capacitor and then from there back to the amp. Everything should be golden. So I grab the resistor my cap came with and drop it into the fuse holder and I feel it get hot but I get no power to my cap or amp. By the way this is now my 2nd cap. I sent the first one back cuz I figured it was defective. Also I noticed when i was bolting in my positive wire to my cap it sparked a little bit when I first touched it. Buuut I didn't have the fuse in at all so there should be zero power..? Could there be something wrong there? Swing away at this cuz I'm gonna feel stupid sending back another cap for a 3rd try. Thank you guys!!

the spark was probably the caps inside the amp discharging because of the cap. I would rewire the cap so the main power from the battery goes to the cap and then to the amp. I would double check all connections between the amp and cap just to make sure that everything is connected to the proper terminals i.e. pos to pos neg to neg. Next disconnect the amp from the equation and try to charge the cap again. If you have a dmm this will help a lot because you will be able to see when you reach a sufficient charge to remove the resistor and install the fuse. If you can successfully charge the cap without the amp connected then you may have an issue with your amp of the installation. Also how exactly are you determining that you have no power at the amp or cap?

The problem is u have a capacitor..they are junk and are in no way beneficial to a daily system as they only hold a millisecond of juice...sell it to a sucker and wire the system straight up or buy a small battery if need be ..what does ur system consist of?

^^^Beat me to it. LOL!

Just ditch the cap altogether. Plenty of threads on here regarding their usefulness. I myself think their worthless. Anyway, if you're having that bad of voltage drops just get an extra battery and run that (an upgrade to the one under the hood can do the trick as well).

"So I grab the resistor my cap came with and drop it into the fuse holder and I feel it get hot but I get no power to my cap or amp"

This may be a stupid question, but after charging the capacitor did you put your normal in-line fuse back in? The resistor is just for charging the cap before connecting thing up so it doesn't spark, or for discharging the cap when disconnecting. You don't power your system through the resistor.

You should disconnect the negative off of your battery before doing anything with the electronics in your car. Taking the fuse (what fuse btw) out is not enough.

"So I grab the resistor my cap came with and drop it into the fuse holder and I feel it get hot but I get no power to my cap or amp"
This may be a stupid question, but after charging the capacitor did you put your normal in-line fuse back in? The resistor is just for charging the cap before connecting thing up so it doesn't spark, or for discharging the cap when disconnecting. You don't power your system through the resistor.
That might be why this is his 3rd one? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

My main power cable from my battery is the cable going straight to my pos on cap an then from there to my amp. I'll double check my connections but i had no issues with wiring before the cap. And yes I have a multimeter and ive been checking from the battery to the amp and I'm getting my 12 volt reading all the way through. And when the cap is wired in I know I'm not getting power cuz my cap has lights and a volt meter on it and nothing lights up at all.

By Fuse I mean the fuse on my main power to my amp. And yes I do know the resistor isnt a FUSE. I only left the resistor in for 30 or so seconds before I realized something was wrong.

What if my ground for my cap isnt good enough? Would that be a cause? Or possibly hurt the cap?
Did u not read any of the advice? The cap itself isnt good ..they r junk..ditch it and wire it straght up ..and if ur runnig enough power to think u need reserve ..upgrade the battery under the hood and/or add a 2nd batter

get rid of the power accoustik cap and get a boss or pyle 20-30 farad cap, it'll make wonderful power to give your amps every ounce of juice it needs!!! fill your car up with capacitors! one run between the alternator and battery, one between each grounds, one between your amp and battery and one between your amp and subwoofer!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...